Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Credit Cards

Options
  • 06-01-2005 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you need to have much of an income or any to get a student credit card with AIB or Bank of Ireland. Or is there any other bank who do them. I'm just looking for something with a small credit limit it's only to buy stuff off the net. I've applied with AIB but applied for the standard one. They told me to go and get my ID stamped at the bank done that and then a month later they say I was rejected because I have to apply for a student one and change my bank account to a Student Plus. So I went into a branch today and gave them the acc. no. and asked them to change it to a Student plus account and she just changes it there and then, she didn't ask for ID or proof that I was at college... she didn't even ask for the name on the account. Anyway now I have to wait for another form from AIB in the post to go in with ID to get stamped for this student credit card. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

From what I know of the BOI, they offer a mastercard with something like a E250 limit to students. the forms are available in branch. I;m not sure what the application criteria are though, short of being a student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

You can get a student credit card by simply opening a student account in either AIB or BOI, don't know about other banks.....u don't need to ave any income what so ever
    ........the limit in BOI is €400 but AIB is €600 and they ave a cool card that's da one I got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i applied on aib.ie and they sent me out the direct debit mandates and stuff. my income would be €14,400 a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Jammer wrote:
    i applied on aib.ie and they sent me out the direct debit mandates and stuff. my income would be €14,400 a year...

moving on...

what happens when you finish college, I mean lets say you have had the "AIB Student MasterCard" for 4 years then you graduate, does they keep sending you a new card indefinately or do they say "hey you're not a student anymore apply for a real card or else"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I presume they send you a pre-approved letter for a standard card giving you the option to apply for it.
    Or you may be still in college and you tell them this and they'll add another two years onto your S CC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

Skyuser wrote:
    You can get a student credit card by simply opening a student account in either AIB or BOI, don't know about other banks.....

It does say in the BOI terms and conditions that you need to have an account with them for at least 6 months, with at least €100 being lodged/withdrawn each month. I'm not sure how rigidly they stick to them though... although I doubt they'd just give you one straight away on opening an account. Go to your on campus branch and ask would probably be the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i got my credit card with aib at a time i wasnt working! granted i had an account with them all my life. they are very handy however be careful at times like xmas when you buy using the credit card and you also spend your cash. i got a bill in january which i didnt make payment on!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

do you think AIB would give a student credit card to a student in 6th year?

would be dead handy for internet purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

id say so, ya see the whole student service thing is just to have you as a customer when you are earning money. you would be suprised how generous they are to students!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cremo wrote:

would be dead handy for internet purchases
    You'd need one of your parents to go guarantor for you but afaik they'll issue one alright. Otherwise they'll allow your parents to get a card for you on their account, so you'd have your own card but your charges would come through on your parents bill. Grand for buying CD's and stuff on-line and giving the auld pair the cash, not so good if you're buying things the parents wouldn't approve of or if you're looking to use it for credit reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

vector wrote:
    what happens when you finish college, I mean lets say you have had the "AIB Student MasterCard" for 4 years then you graduate, does they keep sending you a new card indefinately or do they say "hey you're not a student anymore apply for a real card or else"
    They probably contact you at some point after you finish to confirm if you're still a student, or to offer you more stuff. I voluntarily moved. I wanted a loan and a bigger credit limit - things you can't get as a student, so I had to tell them I was no longer a student.
    At some point you'll decide you need a loan for a new car/guitar/girlfriend and you'll approach the bank who'll tell you "No, you're a student", and you'll have to change to a real account. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well if i sign up with aib will they issue one straight away once my account is activated?

one of the reasons for me wanting one is i spend about 2000 a year on my dad's card (more last year as i bought a pc and a 1400 euros worth of a guitar) and i just don't feel right using his card, even though i have all the money before i purchase something as i'm not a credit kind of guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

What are the interest rates like for students?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭philtaylor

do you still have to pay the 40 euro government levy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

philtaylor wrote:
    do you still have to pay the 40 euro government levy?

unfortunately yep
    make the most of the card & use it, get your €40 worth out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

vector wrote:
    moving on...

I finished college in 2003. Had to tell them (AIB) i was finished. They didnt seem to enquire. You get free banking for 18 month with a graduate account, as well as all normal banking benefits (loans, overdraft, etc). Its 18 months since then and again they havnt enquired and i dont think ill be telling them the 18 months is over.

WRT the credit card rates, you can transfer from a student CC to a real one and you get a reduced rate of 9.9% or something for a year, as oppossed to 18.9% for real and student CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

I was thinking about getting a Student Credit Card from BOI, but I was put off once they told me that if I get one now (In February), that I'll be paying the €40 stamp duty now, and again in April. Bringing the cost of a (supposedly cheap) student credit card (and any other type of credit card) to €80 for a year. A little steep, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Selket

Cremo wrote:
    Should do, I applied for one there at Christmas and I'm in my final year. My card is valid for 4 years! That means I get another 4 yrs of free banking seeing as your cred card is tied up to your bank account. Yippee!

Advertisement