Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel Stud

Options
  • 06-01-2005 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Got two tyres changed yesterday and in the process of chaning them one of the studs snapped (and no i didn't go to Kwik Fit). Looks like it was cross threaded when the tyres were last changed.

Prob is that I am now running my front right with 3 wheel studs rather than 4 which apart from the fact I am not happy with (although I know the wheel is not going to fall off, I don't feel it is the safest!) means that I will fail the NCT.

Seems there are two options for me here

1. Try and drill out the stud and get it rethreaded

2. Replace the hub

What is my cheapest option here - money is tight after Chrimbo! If I go with option number one, i may have to replace the hub anyway if it gets damaged or threads don't hold.

The car is a 99 Renault Megane, so labour here is not the cheapest! Would be really annoyed to say the least if I had to pay 300 to 400 euro when the car is only worth max 4k

Any advise here? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Go to Renault and ask them. Same thing happened a Mitsubishi of mine and I took it to the dealers and they replaced the stud, they just pop in from the rear of the hub, only cost me €20 IIRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Nope the studs work differently - the wheel does not sit on the studs. Don't know why this is (maybe coz I have allows, but doubt it). The stud screws into when wheel hub rather than sitting on the studs.

The stud itself costs 23 euro! Labour is between 60 & 70 per hour in Renault garages.

Am thinking of getting a non franchise garage to drill it out and see if that works and if not then go to Renault.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theres a crowd in Dunshaughlin who can rethread these at a reasonable price but you would have to take the hub down to them.
    PM me and Ill give you the number.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Shouldn't the Tyre place be doing all this for you? if not, time for a chat to your local friendly solicitor and the small claims court.

Bogger77 wrote:
    Shouldn't the Tyre place be doing all this for you? if not, time for a chat to your local friendly solicitor and the small claims court.

You mean the origional place? don't think so - too hard to prove it was them. Whats to say someone else wasn't fiddling with the wheel in the mean time! As for the place that snapped the bolt - not too sure it was their fault.

anyways am hoping HellRaise reccomendation should get me out of jail quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

u can always pass the nct by glueing the cracked one off with superglue. they never take tyres off anyway.
    however im not sure its completely safe.

comanche wrote:
    You mean the origional place? don't think so - too hard to prove it was them. Whats to say someone else wasn't fiddling with the wheel in the mean time! As for the place that snapped the bolt - not too sure it was their fault.

anyways am hoping HellRaise reccomendation should get me out of jail quick.

It broke there, or did it only fall off later? I'd kick up hell, and would def get a solicitor involved, it'd be too bad publicity for them

no point in going crazy could be anyones fault most probably the manufacturer of the stud may have had a hairline fracture when made.

Bogger77 wrote:
    It broke there, or did it only fall off later? I'd kick up hell, and would def get a solicitor involved, it'd be too bad publicity for them

It broke yesterday when the wheel was being removed. They told me straight away and let me know exactly what the story was. They even gave me the name of someone locally to go and see about it.

Who do you think is to blame and why Bogger77. I don't quiet follow you.

Normally this is a small thing - its just a matter of tappin out the stud and replacing. Unfortunately in my case this cannot be done.

why does it need to be drilled out?
    cant whats left of it be screwed out?
    all u need to do is cut a channel in it so it will take a large flat head screwdriver.
    no need to rethread as the thread will be ok.
    u can do this ur self just get 1 or 2 titanium hss drill bits (small) and drill 3 or 4 straight holes in it to a depth of 2mm then use a large flat head screwdriver to screw it out.

• Advertisement

comanche wrote:
    It broke yesterday when the wheel was being removed. They told me straight away and let me know exactly what the story was. They even gave me the name of someone locally to go and see about it.

Who do you think is to blame and why Bogger77. I don't quiet follow you.

Normally this is a small thing - its just a matter of tappin out the stud and replacing. Unfortunately in my case this cannot be done.

Simple, you brought your car to them for them to change the tires, once they take possesion of it, or start working on it, they become responsible for returning it to you in the same state or better than you left it to them.

Put like this, you bring your car to a Renault dealer for a light bulb change. And they crack the lens of the light while doing it, would you expect to pay for it to be replaced?

Advertisement