Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTrip for iPod Mini?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Got my iTrip for regular iPod delivered yesterday.

Using it right now, way handier and (sounds like) way better quality than when using a RCA cable.

Really easy to use but in saying that I haven't got it to play other than on the preassigned frequency yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Oops fogot to mention my point there.

I bought mine on eBay. Definitely recommend if bought from reputable seller.

Think mine was about 30 Euro to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was thinking of buying one of these, but isn't it illegal to operate FM transmission equipment without a license. AFAIK, it's perfectly legal to own it, but to transmit is another story

can anyone fill me in on this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

dudara wrote:
    I was thinking of buying one of these, but isn't it illegal to operate FM transmission equipment without a license. AFAIK, it's perfectly legal to own it, but to transmit is another story

can anyone fill me in on this?

Yes its illeagle to transmit on FM with out a license. Not 100% sure on the ownership issue but I think your right.

They need to change the law to allow these its not a big deal IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

ballooba wrote:
    Oops fogot to mention my point there.

I bought mine on eBay. Definitely recommend if bought from reputable seller.

Think mine was about 30 Euro to my door.

Hey ballooba, would u give me a link to the store u bought it off on ebay. That's a very good price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know you're unlikely to get done for transmitting between your car radio and iPod or home radio and iPod, but I'd like to be sure

Was just browsing eBay and found this. In the auction, the seller says
    Use of this Device is prohibited in the UK or Republic of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to order one from the above site.

Just ordered a Belkin Tunecast II with battery and car power thing. €35 delivered. Sellers rep is very good.

I have a zen and GF has an iPod so needed somthing to do both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I have heard a couple of people give out about them & lots of people say they are great. Unfortunatly I can't go into a shop and test one out, so I just have to bite the bullet and buy one online. The only alternative seems to be a hard wired system which costs nearly €200 and also needs to be fitted. Denon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

Yea total crap as they require you to have FM frequencies that are clear of interference in order to operate.
    In most parts of the country there are so many FM stations in range or in partial range that it means the iTrip simply doesn't work properly.
    I personally know of 3 iTrips purchased and where they are now never used.

logonapr wrote:
    Yea total crap as they require you to have FM frequencies that are clear of interference in order to operate.
    In most parts of the country there are so many FM stations in range or in partial range that it means the iTrip simply doesn't work properly.
    I personally know of 3 iTrips purchased and where they are now never used.

They should sell em on boards/ebay and get some cash back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think the problem lies in the fact that the TX power is so small to start with and it must penatrate the body of the car to reach the antenna which is usually outside. With most stereos now having facilities for an external CD Changer why not use the line in normally used by the changer ? For one the quality would be better plus you won't be breaking any laws.

As for the "it sounds better on the FM" I've heard this said before and subjectively to some people it may sound better but the technical specs say different. The hiss on even a clear FM signal can give the impression of more prominent highs giving a "perceived" better sound.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    I think the problem lies in the fact that the TX power is so small to start with and it must penatrate the body of the car to reach the antenna which is usually outside. With most stereos now having facilities for an external CD Changer why not use the line in normally used by the changer ?

As far as I know you need a special cable to use the CD changer line in. Somthing about the chanel being closed till it gets a certain voltage. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Rew wrote:
    As far as I know you need a special cable to use the CD changer line in. Somthing about the chanel being closed till it gets a certain voltage. Could be wrong.

True, although some head units now offer an AUX input. For those that don't you can buy adaptors that turn the CD input to an AUX input. This Site sell such devices but they're specific to make and model of car/stereo installed.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭moby2101

Hi,
    I've never had any problem at any frquency with itrip.
    If you know someone in Limerick, get them to call into the apple store "Compu B" on Henry St, they still have about 20 itrips for sale at 50 yoyos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Interesting, I have an e-mail from ComReg saying that they will come down heavy on any retailer in Ireland selling iTrips.

I think the iTrip was developed because of the limited connectivity between the iPod and other HiFi/car stereo devices. I am sure as time goes by hard drives will become common in both home stereos and cars. You might be able to pop your hardrive into either or wirelessly network them for updating them so you have your music available where ever.

No matter what people say, the reproduction of an iPod via a iTrip to a car stereo is technically crap. The already compressed file is being compressed againby a basic processor and transmitted. It will never give as good as reproduction as listening to the original CD recording on a standard hifi.

Advertisement