Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

psychic or mentally unbalanced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

syke wrote:
    Look READ THE CHARTER.

When you do, come back and read the posts I edited.

They violate the charter, end of story.

Always in black and gogo first friendly warning.

If you have a problem in future, keep it off the thread, either PM me or go to feedback.

S

i'll get my coat so,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Carpo wrote:
    eh? Are you saying that if someone recieves a 'nice' message then they are probably genuine psychics/mediums/whatever, but if they recieve a 'nasty' message they are probably nuts?

I'm just curious why you might thik this.
    Not exactly. First of all I don't really believe in an afterlife, or at least not the kind of one most people would think of. That said I don't totally rule it out, I can't say for sure seeing as I haven't died yet (not too big on reincarnation either).

I think it's pretty certain that there are people who are mentally unwell, who hallucinate and think that they're hearing the voices of the dead, aliens or the CIA. I had a discussion about this kind of stuff before with a girl who was training to be a forensic psychologist and she was saying that there's ways of diagnosing people such as this by traits they display other than those related to hearing voices. In general with people like this, the voices convince them one way or another to do something that would be generally regarded as wrong. It's also pretty certain that there are people claiming to be psychic and channel messages from the dead who are complete and utter frauds.

Then there are people like KatieK who claim to be able to recieve messages who don't benefit from it in any way, I don't think she really minds if we believe her or not, and she's not asking for any money. Also I've never met her but she seems reasonably sane, or at least no more insane then the rest of us :) . Like I said I don't believe in an afterlife but it is possible that she's right and I'm wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Jeez, thanks stevenmu love you too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

It's kind of frustrating that in this country, stuff like this isn't discussed more openly... It has the potential to cause lots of trouble, as I found out some time ago :/

keu wrote:
    So, there's no heaven and when you die the worms just eat you. Happy now?
    But it was only fantasy.
    The wall was too high,
    As you can see.
    No matter how he tried,
    He could not break free.
    And the worms ate into his brain.

p.s. Sorry KatieK, it was all meant in the nicest possible way. :)
    Out of curiosity, does it seem possible to you that messages you recieve may not actually be from an afterlife but that you're actually picking up on something else an just percieving it that way ? Or perhaps is there some kind of bi-directional communication or some evidence in some messages that confirms your belief ? I don't really know the first thing about channelling and if there is something to it it'd be interesting to learn about.

• Advertisement

Of my underestanding... If you're a medium or higher, you can send and recieve messages. Psychics can only recieve messages. I actually had an incident where I "recieved" some messages in relation to a place I've been. It seems I'm being called back there by the resident spirits...

stevenmu, I took it as a compliment! If you ever meet me you will find me boring im so normal.

With regard to the experiences Ive had at first things happened that I had no control over, and it was frightening. As I got older, I was less scared of it and realised I could 'see' messages from - whereever they come from. I always see pictures so Im not so good on names and dates. This is clairvoyance, wheras hearing is clairaudience. I also sense feelings which is clairsentience. I never see in reality it is always in my mind. As for whether this is my subconcoius doing this, I doubt it because I often give stuff I simply dont know, and when reading someone the less I know the easier it is, as its easier to be objective. I have had direct contact with spirits who have passed and I see them clearly. In one case I was then shown a group photo and could easily pick out the deceased person, (whom I had never met). It all sounds real easy, but it isnt. Its like radio, sometimes the signals good, sometimes not. You also have to stop your own mind throwing in your own ideas which is probably the hardest thing. Maybe that gets easier with practice I dont know. I dont use this often only when theres a need, I dont do parlour tricks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Originally Posted by Pink Floyd-The Wall-Hey You
    But it was only fantasy.
    The wall was too high,
    As you can see.
    No matter how he tried,
    He could not break free.
    And the worms ate into his brain.
    figured it would just be easier to tell them what they want to hear..
    no..there's no afterlife and yea all psychics and mediums are crazy.
    They're not interested in proof, they want to disprove so they can be right and feel less inadequate.

KatieK wrote:
    stevenmu, I took it as a compliment! If you ever meet me you will find me boring im so normal.

I tend to rarely use normal and myself, or indeed people in the same sentence. I find I can't classify normal for people as no one was brought up the same, and we all had different experiences. Of course, that's just me.... And I know that I'm not in the bracket of normal anyway, so meh.. lol

keu wrote:
    figured it would just be easier to tell them what they want to hear..
    no..there's no afterlife and yea all psychics and mediums are crazy.
    They're not interested in proof, they want to disprove so they can be right and feel less inadequate.

Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm out of touch with reality... Just ask my friend Fred the Pink Elephant. :p

Seriously, the way I figure it, that if you're crazy (within reason), then there's nothing wrong with it. There's nothing wrong with a dose of randomness and unpredictability. Keeps things from getting dull imo.

• Advertisement

I use the word normal in the conventional sense as in I dont dress like a witch or howl at the moon, and I eat breakfast and watch soaps like anyone else....but I do have my own little peculiarities as you have seen! Im quite happy and I dont need to fit in with anyone elses idea of right or wrong. But I do want to find like minded people to talk to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

KatieK wrote:
    I dont dress like a witch or howl at the moon,

ah but that can be the fun part :)

KatieK wrote:

With regard to the experiences Ive had at first things happened that I had no control over, and it was frightening. As I got older, I was less scared of it and realised I could 'see' messages from - whereever they come from. I always see pictures so Im not so good on names and dates. This is clairvoyance, wheras hearing is clairaudience. I also sense feelings which is clairsentience. I never see in reality it is always in my mind. As for whether this is my subconcoius doing this, I doubt it because I often give stuff I simply dont know, and when reading someone the less I know the easier it is, as its easier to be objective. I have had direct contact with spirits who have passed and I see them clearly. In one case I was then shown a group photo and could easily pick out the deceased person, (whom I had never met). It all sounds real easy, but it isnt. Its like radio, sometimes the signals good, sometimes not. You also have to stop your own mind throwing in your own ideas which is probably the hardest thing. Maybe that gets easier with practice I dont know. I dont use this often only when theres a need, I dont do parlour tricks!
    For once I wasn't actually trying to blame anything on subconcious shennanigans. I suppose what I'm wondering is are you picking up on messages/energies from an afterlife, or are they messages/energies that were left around by someone before they died (or while they did). I'm ont sure how someone could tell the difference but I thought you might be able to say you know one way or the other because of 'xyz'.

stevenmu wrote:
    For once I wasn't actually trying to blame anything on subconcious shennanigans. I suppose what I'm wondering is are you picking up on messages/energies from an afterlife, or are they messages/energies that were left around by someone before they died (or while they did). I'm ont sure how someone could tell the difference but I thought you might be able to say you know one way or the other because of 'xyz'.

I wouldnt say its just a remnant as on one occasion the info was to sort out a problem (something missing) in the present, I cant go into details, it would make things clearer if I could. Sometimes I see things that are like a replay of something that happened, yes, but I also get images, say of whats going on in the life of the person Im reading for right now, and it doesnt seem to me to be coming from their energy. Any clearer now?

KatieK wrote:
    I use the word normal in the conventional sense as in I dont dress like a witch or howl at the moon, and I eat breakfast and watch soaps like anyone else....but I do have my own little peculiarities as you have seen! Im quite happy and I dont need to fit in with anyone elses idea of right or wrong. But I do want to find like minded people to talk to!

I'm the same way, though that said, I tend to wear a pentigram around my neck at all times. I also have two tattoos I keep hidden most of the time. I consider them all to have a spiritual, or in the case of the pentegram, a protective purpose...

Thanks, that clears it up a good bit. I'll have to look into it further sometime. There's so much stuff though, that I use to just dismiss but now think may be possible, that I don't know how to keep up with it all. :confused:

Yeah... It takes a long time to study it all, due to the amount of stuff there is. You could study a lifetime and still only be scratching the surface... :/

Kennett, I wear a smoky quartz crystal around my neck, and I have a crucifix ring my mum gave me, mixed messages I know, but they both have a protective purpose for me. I also have a tattoo, but thats just a product of a misspent youth, and has no higher purpose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

This is unknowable imho! However if you are female - and believe otherwise - and are reasonably good looking - and believe otherwise - evangelise me baby! :D
    [EDIT]Reasonably good -looking - Jebus! That sounds so hollow and empty! Did'nt mean it like that! [/EDIT]

KatieK wrote:
    Kennett, I wear a smoky quartz crystal around my neck, and I have a crucifix ring my mum gave me, mixed messages I know, but they both have a protective purpose for me. I also have a tattoo, but thats just a product of a misspent youth, and has no higher purpose :D

Good stuff :) Btw, the pendulum I use can be used for protection too... As well as communication. I thought long and hard about my tattoos... Got them done when I was 20... Right one is a wolf, left one is a Chinese Dragon... Kind of represents myself in a sense... Ie: The dragon represents my worst side, where I can really go on a rampage, and the wolf is my calm, and dare I say wise state. Still though, if you believe they protect you, then it's all that matters in the long run :)

This is unknowable imho! However if you are female - and believe otherwise - and are reasonably good looking - and believe otherwise - evangelise me baby! :D
    [EDIT]Reasonably good -looking - Jebus! That sounds so hollow and empty! Did'nt mean it like that! [/EDIT]

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kennett wrote:
    Yeah... It takes a long time to study it all, due to the amount of stuff there is. You could study a lifetime and still only be scratching the surface... :/

it is helpfull if you believe that you have other life times to catch up or to help you remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Kennett wrote:
    I'm the same way, though that said, I tend to wear a pentigram around my neck at all times. I also have two tattoos I keep hidden most of the time. I consider them all to have a spiritual, or in the case of the pentegram, a protective purpose...

I use to have a pentigram I wore around my neck but I lost it, but I think the pentigram lost itself to protect me as I am in Kuwait where they are very religious (drink is illegal) and a pentigram might be mistaken as a star of david, which you don't wont happening in a Muslim country, or I just lost the pentigram, sometimes it's hard to know wheter things happen for a mystical reason or **** just happens.

Getting back to the topic question, I think you have to take it on a case to case basis, but if someone is hearing voices to do something wrong, then they are probably insane, but how many of you would believe that they might be hearing the voice of an evil spirit ?

Thaed wrote:
    it is helpfull if you believe that you have other life times to catch up or to help you remember.

Yeah, I agree. I seemed to have been generally devoted to this type of thing in a past life, as I seemed to be a practitioner of magick, or if not that, I'd have been some sort of fighter or knight... I recall stuff from that past life, ie: Someone sent me a picture of a wierd creature, and I showed it to my friend who I knew from a past life, and it transpired we saw a similar picture on a cave wall, only it had wings, and I had a fright when I originally saw the pic, so there's obviously something to it... I've had other wierd experiences that I currently don't want to explain, for fear of people not believing me or callign me crazy :s
    rcunning03 wrote:
    I use to have a pentigram I wore around my neck but I lost it, but I think the pentigram lost itself to protect me as I am in Kuwait where they are very religious (drink is illegal) and a pentigram might be mistaken as a star of david, which you don't wont happening in a Muslim country, or I just lost the pentigram, sometimes it's hard to know wheter things happen for a mystical reason or **** just happens.

You may never know... That said, someone I know (admittedly someone I'm not fond of now) told me about his pentegram exploding because of all the negative energies directed towards him, so the pentegram obviously has some sort of purpose for protection, and perhaps at times its protection varies from exploding, or getting lost? I'm not an expert on this, so these would merely be considered to be theories, if anything.
    Getting back to the topic question, I think you have to take it on a case to case basis, but if someone is hearing voices to do something wrong, then they are probably insane, but how many of you would believe that they might be hearing the voice of an evil spirit ?

Well, it could be possible. I am grounded enough to know that even if I did hear a voice out of nowhere, I'd be very careful with dealing with the source if it was a spirit. Also, I've been told I'm clairaudient, so I think I would more than likely hear thoughts or messages as opposed to voices... Without sounding too mad, I've heard some messages quite recently.

I dont have to use psychic ability to say you are weird :D As for reasonably good looking, the rules of being psychic say you must be over 40 and fat if female, didnt you know? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

KatieK wrote:
    I dont have to use psychic ability to say you are weird :D As for reasonably good looking, the rules of being psychic say you must be over 40 and fat if female, didnt you know? ;)
    It's not Dawn's or Terry's ****ing chocolate orange. It's mine :rolleyes:

I do however have a couple of serious thoughts... I have had some experiences. My experience in telling friends (when much younger) was they took the p!ss out of me, and I reckon most people without some sort of experience think you are slightly gullible, unscientific or just mad when you tell them of paranormal experiences you have had. The modern world is hostile to a spiritual - unknown dimension. So when I pre-see the odd random event - I start to doubt - think it was coincidence - simply because the modern world has whipped me into this mindset.

I think the modern world should look at how many indigenous tribes in Indonesia were thought to have been wiped-out; where in reality they had fled to higher ground - now this could be they knew well enough to take the lead of the animals... Point I'm making is we probably had a lot more abilities psychically 1,000s of years ago - because we were more attached to the reality of our nature on the planet - had no conceptual model to explain things.

I once met a psychic through an ad I placed looking for accomodation. She seemed edgy - and I can't remember what I said for her to start pouring out her heart. She had been on TV demonstrating her abilities, now her life was in ruins - daughter turned against her, aided by evil husband... trying to seize her property... Someone asked me in the kitchen the next day how my property search was going. I said I saw the place offered by **** ***** and declined. She was horrified - "Did you not know she's a Voodooienne?". It didn't bother me - until later I saw that the woman's business change hands and could not find out whether she had fled or been institutionalised!

Anyone with genuine abilities in the modern world has to be someone with serious spiritual strength imho!

I do however have a couple of serious thoughts... I have had some experiences. My experience in telling friends (when much younger) was they took the p!ss out of me, and I reckon most people without some sort of experience think you are slightly gullible, unscientific or just mad when you tell them of paranormal experiences you have had. The modern world is hostile to a spiritual - unknown dimension. So when I pre-see the odd random event - I start to doubt - think it was coincidence - simply because the modern world has whipped me into this mindset.

That's the problem in this country; not many people believe in the paranormal... I used to get teased about it in college, but it worked out in the end.
    I think the modern world should look at how many indigenous tribes in Indonesia were thought to have been wiped-out; where in reality they had fled to higher ground - now this could be they knew well enough to take the lead of the animals... Point I'm making is we probably had a lot more abilities psychically 1,000s of years ago - because we were more attached to the reality of our nature on the planet - had no conceptual model to explain things.

That's a good point. They would have been more superstitious as well, thinking about it...
    I once met a psychic through an ad I placed looking for accomodation. She seemed edgy - and I can't remember what I said for her to start pouring out her heart. She had been on TV demonstrating her abilities, now her life was in ruins - daughter turned against her, aided by evil husband... trying to seize her property... Someone asked me in the kitchen the next day how my property search was going. I said I saw the place offered by **** ***** and declined. She was horrified - "Did you not know she's a Voodooienne?". It didn't bother me - until later I saw that the woman's business change hands and could not find out whether she had fled or been institutionalised!

Voodooienne? As in practicing voodoo? Hmm... I've generally not given this branch of magick much thought, though I know it's dangerous in the wrong hands...
    Anyone with genuine abilities in the modern world has to be someone with serious spiritual strength imho!

Discipline and focus would have to be pretty strong to match to be successful with your abilities, or you would end up picking up empathic energy from everywhere you go, or psychic energy, or any sort of spiritual energy... That said, I currently lack focus and discipline to manage mine effectively, so it works randomly for me... I have the oddest things happen to me at random times...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

psychic or mentally unbalanced..

I'd suggest the latter, but with a caveat. I'm not calling anyone that thinks they have this 'ability' or whatever they want to call it a liar, but I suspect it's more along the lines of something like a psychotic episode.

I'm open to be proven wrong - infact, I'd love if I was because the implications would be truely fascinating - but I suspect that, like a lot of things, it is the result of the rather more mundane problem of things going wrong inside the brain at some level and hence interfering with perception.

It is difficult to 'come out' as a psychic. Im so wary I only tell people on boards when using a nickname... People have a preconceived idea of what you look like, act like or they are wary of you because they think your reading their mind! Or like on this thread, people question your sanity or grasp of reality. I can guarantee you, I am sane,(well as much as any of us are :rolleyes: ) ordinary and I dont go around talking to myself or hearing disembodied voices. If my experiences hadnt happened to me Id be the biggest skeptic here. Even when I do have things happen I still tell myself 'ah, sure thats coincidence' I have to see really good validation before I believe anything. I would really love to tell ye all some of the stuff thats gone on, but it involves other people, and I have to respect their privacy. The most frustrating part of this is that I cannot pick one of the posters here and go... ok heres proof for you that you can validate, because it doesnt work like that, I cant make a psychic phone call to your dead relative, I only get contact when it comes to me, or when someone is really in need of an answer and asks me to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

It is difficult to 'come out' as a psychic. Im so wary I only tell people on boards when using a nickname... People have a preconceived idea of what you look like, act like or they are wary of you because they think your reading their mind! Or like on this thread, people question your sanity or grasp of reality.
    Errrm, no, I think believers goes on the defensive too much and don't understand why skeptics needs proof or are initially percieved as insulting when half the time they probably just don't know how they should be reacting.
    I can guarantee you, I am sane
    Yes but so are the millions of people with extraordinary claims who geninuely believe what they believe. Should we believe everything people claims just because they are not crazy and pass the lie detector test? You speak of having experiences and without other possible explainations that you know of, you choose to believe in having paranormal abilities. That is what a skeptic would normally think, myself included.

Consider sleep paralysis. Before there was a scientic explaination for it, people in the medieval ages thought they were being visited by the devil who is sitting on top of them and so they can't move or breath.
    I would really love to tell ye all some of the stuff thats gone on, but it involves other people, and I have to respect their privacy. The most frustrating part of this is that I cannot pick one of the posters here and go... ok heres proof for you that you can validate, because it doesnt work like that, I cant make a psychic phone call to your dead relative, I only get contact when it comes to me, or when someone is really in need of an answer and asks me to help them.
    That's just convenient in a skeptic's eye!
    :D

• Advertisement

Your reply is only what I expected and reinforces my point! Theres no point in getting into a technical discussion with you, we have such opposing viewpoints, I accept your skepticism as valid, and unless I produce something that YOU specifically will believe I will be at nothing :) As I have said before, I would not accept something airey fairey either, but the stuff thats happened to me has been proven correct. Unless we talk irl sometime, Im not elaborating further.
    CodeMonkey wrote:
    Yes but so are the millions of people with extraordinary claims who geninuely believe what they believe. Should we believe everything people claims just because they are not crazy and pass the lie detector test?
    Absolutely not, but neither should you disregard it simply because it hasnt been explained. Not everything in science is yet understood, maybe, just maybe theres something in it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement