Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell win xp disk

• 06-01-2005 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

I bought a dell pc a while agio and got a Dell Windods XP disk, I need a copy of XP for a laptop, would I be able to use this copy, someone was saying that druing the boot up process this version of xp looks for dell bios and won't install unless its a dell motherboard,if it can't be done anyone know were I can get my hands on a cheap version of XP...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

might want to edit your post in case soemone gets the idea your looking for warez ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

It should work just using your Dell xp disk, I’ve done it loads of times on none dell machines and it works fine.

If for some weird reason it doesn’t
    You will get a cheap copy from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Operating_Systems_20.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If there is an XP OEM sticker on the bottom then you could contact the manufacturer for a replacement CD ( 2 hopes - but microsoft don't support OEM )

If not then it's a volume license or retail copy of XP - in which case contact microsoft connections for replacement media ~ €30 or something

Another option is to remove the drive , put it in a Dell , install XP and run sysprep and pop back in to the laptop.

NB. The DELL copy of windows is an OEM copy and the license is non-transferrable it can't go on to another PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

anyone know were I can get my hands on a cheap version of XP...

Windows XP home 97E

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kc.asp?bn=10335

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

You cannot use an OEM copy of Windows on a PC other than the one it shipped with. There are legal and technical reasons for this.

You'll need a special PID that's tied the the BIOS of the machine, and installing OEM copies willy nilly is not in agreement with the End Users Licence Agreement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement