Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Before Date on Vitamins

• 06-01-2005 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Not too sure if this is the right place to post this but I have some vitamins with a best before date of December 2004 and was wondering would it be safe to keep taking them even though they are gone by this date.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

probably.
    but if you are worried, just buy new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm not a doctor but....
    I'd imagine the vitimans may denature (or whatever it is vitimans do) eventually but I can't imagine anything bad would come of it - just a chance that you may not be getting quite as much value from them as you're expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

yeah keep taking em and tell us what happens.

Altho personally once something is past its sell by date I bin it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

As my dad always says, if it's out of date long enough, then it comes back in date :)

Then again, I don't particularly like that rule so I just bin stuff once it's out of date :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

on most products best befores are a legality...

they have bb dates on spam in a can that sh!t never goes off!! and babys nappy's please!!!

take them theres no harm oh and whats the longest they will last a month(30 caps 1 aday or am i wrong??)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

yeah, think best before date is different than a use by date.

If it said use by 1/04, I'd stop, but best before ... no worries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Moved from PI

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nessa

Thanks for all the feedback, I've only a few left so I think I might as well bin them, don't wanna take any chances. Sorry bout posting in the wrong section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

my mum has cream that is4 for burns and i had to use it the other day and i lukd and either the best b4 date/use by date was in 1982! workd grand and all! lol
    my mum nevr throws anytng out in lines of medicines and stuff lik that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

She probably should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I had the same dilemma today. i decided not to take them, even though it's just a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Fast_Mover wrote:
    my mum has cream that is4 for burns and i had to use it the other day and i lukd and either the best b4 date/use by date was in 1982! workd grand and all! lol
    my mum nevr throws anytng out in lines of medicines and stuff lik that!

She def should! Well anything you'll be ingesting neways. And if its medicines e.g antibiotics there shouldn't be any left!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

The Tabs won't actually do any harm, as said, some of the vitamins and minerals contained withing them however may have deteriorated in quality, they are not going to cause an upset stomach or anything serious, if you are still in doubt, just ask your local Pharmicist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

nessa wrote:
    Thanks for all the feedback, I've only a few left so I think I might as well bin them, don't wanna take any chances. Sorry bout posting in the wrong section.
    Not a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Best before/use by dates usually take into account the worst case scenario, items left in direct sunlight at 35C. Refrigerated products like milk have the date calculated by experimenting in a relatively warm fridge. Before these dates came about people looked and smelt food. Many vitamins have dates years in advance, they don't suddenly become toxic overnight. 1982 is pushing it a bit though! I know a woman who throws out cheese the second it is over the date, I know another who purposely leaves it out of the fridge to mature

Advertisement