Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime Con name??

Options
  • 06-01-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Ok well to get an idea of what people think about the name EirtaKon heres a quick poll. The name has to be sorted out very quickly since we hope to get some fliers off at Warpcon - start the advertising and all :)

If you do vote no please do give an alternative :cool:

EirtaKon 2005 - the Irish Anime Con 9 votes

Yeah, EirtaKon is the way to go!
    0% 0 votes
    Eirta- wtf? NO - dont do it!!
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

So my reservations with the name - well, you can have a byline as Cult mentioned to say this is the anime and manga convention - but for times when you can't have it, maybe this isn't great (e.g. AA road signs!).

While Eirtaku is meaningful as a derivative of Otaku, Eirtakon doesn't have the same relevance (just the tak bit in the middle, isn't that an Eastern European word for the affirmative?).

I'd be more in favour of something like:
    • Animangacon (favourite)
    • Nihoncon
    • Nipponcon
    • Ichicon (a play on ichiban)

More as I think of them - I realise time is short!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Just to let you know what Clouds names are a play on - I needed to be told :o

* Animangacon (favourite)
    - obvious there

* Nihoncon
    * Nipponcon
    Nihon or Nippon (didnt follow this part ;) mean Japan

* Ichicon (a play on ichiban)
    ichiban Im told translate as Number 1

If your giving an alternative that a play on words, let us know what it means - saves me from begging others for a translation! :D

[16:21] <CuLT> (the bracketed bits are his pov)
    [16:23] <ken-shin> not great suggestions, are they
    [16:23] <Art_Wolf> Animangacon?! [0.o] hmm
    [16:25] <CuLT> I think there's too many syllables
    [16:26] <CuLT> I think Ichicon is more obscure than EirtaKon too :P
    [16:26] <ken-shin> yeah, how is that a play on ichiban...
    [16:26] <ken-shin> and how many people know what that mean?
    [16:27] <CuLT> tbh, "Ichiban" is only vaguely familiar to me. I don't know where I heard it, or what it means.
    [16:27] <ken-shin> hehe
    [16:27] <Art_Wolf> Might you explain what It means cause I certainly dont :( I assume there is also meant to be something behind Nihon and Nippon?
    <CuLT> Kenshin, that IRC snippet is going to get me into trouble one of these days :/

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I have been FRAMED!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

They didn't know what Ichiban, Nihon and Nippon mean... crazy!
    I'm probably a bit biased, but I do like "Eirtakon"

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

OI! I knew what Nihon and Nippon meant :)

So is there some other Irishy word that can go before Otakon? It's the loss of both the beginning and the end of the work Otaku that I think is the problem... Or maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Eirtaku-con? perhaps? Might be best not to try and get too clever....

Eirtaku-con? perhaps? Might be best not to try and get too clever....

Sounds better...

Just pointed out on eirtaku.com :-
    .... Animangacon and Nipponcon have both been used in the past Animanga in in Oz iirc and Nipponcon is a japanesse culture con held in the US..
    So fraid those two are gone :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

You know that you *are* allowed to reuse names, right? :p

So long as you dont do something stupid like giving it the same name as a british one :)

Also, I just think its worth pointing out that if youre still planning to run a weekend event for this summer... you have bigger problems right now than what youre going to call it :p

A

True but we would like something that we can call our own :)

Though i disagree with the other problems ;) Currently we appear on track, start to advertise now - but we need to have the name sorted before we begin to advertise! We got several groups helping out, some vendors sorted etc :) Hopefully all goes well ;) *crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

I say we stick with it; if only because it'll get the site a load more publicity.

As for explanation; you could always have some kind of picture that says
    Eire + otaku + convention = ...

I think all the others are too complex; I mean if CuLT couldn't understand them.. ;)

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Just pointed out on eirtaku.com :-

So fraid those two are gone :)

Well I wouldn't say gone as such, more like dead as I Googled them before posting:

Results 1 - 4 of about 17 for animangacon - can't find any convention
    Results 1 - 8 of 8 for nipponcon - still alive, one in 2007, my mistake
    Results 1 - 9 of about 16 for nihoncon - dead since 2003

Anyway, they probably aren't great - but maybe someone else can make some suggestions? Something with anime or manga in the name - most people wouldn't know what an otaku was if it came and bit them on the bum, but anime and manga will instantly appeal to a larger target audience.

/me puts on the thinking cap again

/me scours sources on "otaku" for inspiration:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=otaku
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku
    http://www.ija.ie/
    • J-Con (like J-Pop?)
    • Hai-con (yes!) - e.g. could be Heroes of Anime Ireland Convention
    • Nani-con (what?)
    • Animeircon / Animeicon / Anieircom

Well at least there's some more people who are uncomfortable with the name - any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Another suggestion:
    Eirtaku.CON ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Plasticman

I must say, I'm not too gone on most of those names, Cloud. I think J-con is a bit too generic, and doesn't show the primary focus of the convention to be for anime/manga. "YES"-con just seems.... silly (to me anyway), as does "What?"-con. And I think that "Animeircon / Animeicon / Anieircom" sounds more american than irish (AniMEiRCon, etc.).

Personally, I'm most fond of Eirtakon, although if the vote is too far against me, I'd be satisfied with Eirtaku.con...

I can't think of anything better, and it seems no one else can either :( But does that mean we have to accept what we have?

Looks like we will stick with EirtaKon for this year - if it proves to be good and worthy of a successor we can look into that later :)

Sounds like a plan. It's good to stop the debate now anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement