Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky v ????

Options
  • 06-01-2005 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me is there any alternitave to sky? I had a lot of problems with them last sept. the box was faulty and they wanted 120euro to get someone out to fix it. so I cancelled my a/c and my direct debit. then, the got in touch with me and low and behold on that day they had a offer where I could get a teck guy out to fix it for free!!! great, so far. everything was ok and I send of the direct debit again.. but they came back to say that it had been refused by my bank. after a lot of too and fro I now find that the bank cant undo a cancelled dirct debit.. and sky wont give me an new account no. stalemate!!!
    what can I do? what is chorus like? any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Chorus SUCKS. I'm forced into paying for cable and digital to keep ITV and Ch.4 Terrible reception and generally crap. I think they were in financial trouble a while back too*

*may not be true.

There's a forum under the hosted heading for this sort of question though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vicbarry

Just set up a new bank account, then just organise a standing order to transfer your sky bill amount into the new account every month, or use one of the online banking systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

bri cant you stick an antenna up on the roof and get utv and c4 free ?!? Im sure you can even get someone in to do it for you for as little as 50 euro (i think i saw them advertised in the buy and sell)

Is this not more of a problem with the bank than sky ?!? i mean ok they obviouslly want you to pay for the engineer and you called their bluff and they caved in, but it is the bank who are stopping you getting sky back not sky. Surly they can have it re enabled at some point it cant be black listed forever and if they cant then make a formal complaint about it im sure they will quickly discover a way to do it.

Another thing would be to put it on your credit card rather than direct debit, or do sky only take dd ?!?

So I believe but I've never got a proper straight answer. Are you suggesting the Dublin area can pick it up ok?

Must have a look in Buy and Sell so...thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Its one of those things, people used to have the aerial on their houses then everyone got cablelink in dublin and took them down. Someone told me once there is a repeater in ireland to boost the signal but i have no idea if thats true or not. The signal is still there and all you need is a powered aerial (one of those big ones you see on houses sometimes) I know it works in dublin and meath dont know how the quality is other places but i imagine it would be ok. You should defo check the buy and sell etc see if there is someone who can do it and get rid of chorus is thats all you have them for.

• Advertisement

Excellent Kristok thanks a lot. I looked into this about 6 months ago (not enough obviously!) and ended up giving up. I hate paying them a fortune for 2 fuzzy channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

ch4 utv will not be satisfactory unless you live on high ground, a much better and cheaper option is a free to view card and digibox using a UK address. Checkout the satellite forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?daysprune=&forumid=55

Kristok wrote:
    Its one of those things, people used to have the aerial on their houses then everyone got cablelink in dublin and took them down. Someone told me once there is a repeater in ireland to boost the signal but i have no idea if thats true or not. The signal is still there and all you need is a powered aerial (one of those big ones you see on houses sometimes) I know it works in dublin and meath dont know how the quality is other places but i imagine it would be ok. You should defo check the buy and sell etc see if there is someone who can do it and get rid of chorus is thats all you have them for.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Thanks Tony but you digiboxes to make that work - as the english card won't give you the normal family package for sky. Always struck me as a bit of a gamble, depspite the fact most people get the card activated ok - where do u get the 2nd digibox and how much?

Probably stupid of me but buying the card fair enough, but buying hardware kind turned me off. I suppose I could buy the card 1st and then if it worked presumably buy a 2nd box and it'll work in that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Bri wrote:
    Thanks Tony but you digiboxes to make that work - as the english card won't give you the normal family package for sky. Always struck me as a bit of a gamble, depspite the fact most people get the card activated ok - where do u get the 2nd digibox and how much?

Probably stupid of me but buying the card fair enough, but buying hardware kind turned me off. I suppose I could buy the card 1st and then if it worked presumably buy a 2nd box and it'll work in that too?

well if you are going the roof aerial route then you are buying hardware? A free to view card will work in the same digibox as the family pack. I think maybe its better to post on the satellite forum as we maybe a bit off topic for this forum.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

True enough. I never said I was pragmatic about it! I'll move over to there but last thing: Works in the same family pack but switching cards to switch channel isn't exactly practical...

• Advertisement
Advertisement