Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holographic disks with 1TB of storage!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's the technology of the future, always was , always will be.. :D

Been seeing articles about crystal / holographic storage over the last 20 years, when they appear in shops I'll believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

ya would be nice if it ever arrived, it dont think the amount of data that can be stored is a huge selling point, LaCie already have 1T on a disk, I think its the read Write speed that somthing needs to be done about (read and write at 200-500 Mb per Sec, now that would be a nice breakthrough).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Look very bulky and unweildy at the moment. Seems to me that perhaps they may get lost in the ether. We are a few years yet from requiring removable ROM storage at these kinds of sizes. Many movies still don't fill DVDs, even with tonnes of extras. The only way I can see these coming onboard is to convince people to buy movies in bulk - You order say 8 movies, they're burned onto a single holographic disc, and sent out to you for €50 or whatever.

If this kind of technology could be adapted and increased in speed to seriously compete with current HDD technology, then maybe. Otherwise I see them as being too much ahead of their time now, but once their time actually comes, they'll be obsolete. :)

True, isnt blueray going to replace normal dvds anyway??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Blu ray and HDDVD will be the next disc mediums.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Blu ray and HDDVD will be the next disc mediums.
    ah yes thats how you spell it, whoops :)

Advertisement