Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ann Coulter.

Options
  • 06-01-2005 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

http://observer.com/pages/world.asp

You know I could quote choice bits but I really think this needs to be read to be believed, and it is worth reading it all.

My only real question is, how the hell does (a) This woman get airtime on a national US TV? and (b) Actually get invited to the Whitehouse?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sensationalist, reactionary idiot. Nothing more. But unfortunatly, she is also a voice for the side of the Republican party that allow Bush to get elected.

On an unrelated note, you know there is a theory than Andy Kaufman didn't die, but instead had a sex change...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

this is why she's on national televison...:eek: another good reason for NTL to carry it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Quote from the piece

"What should we remember about Bill Clinton?

"Well, he was a very good rapist" "

Maybe I'm very naive but surely this is libel? As to the rest, hmmm, strikes me as opinions that are expressed by very many "normal" middle class americans (at least if conversations with my American friens and relatives are anything to go by).
    I am particularly fond of her answer to "what about Mecca" - just brimful of compassion and understanding of different cultures.

sigh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What would have to happen to make you say it was a bad idea to invade?

"That’s a good question. It would be a mistake if we just futz around and the whole country became like one long Falluja. I thought we were wasting way too much time on that. This is a war, let’s go in and win it. Just take the city! I think if it got to the point where it was going on for six, seven years, and it was just Americans patrolling without killing anyone—I’m getting a little fed up with hearing about, oh, civilian casualties. I think we ought to nuke North Korea right now just to give the rest of the world a warning."

Nuke North Korea?

"Right—and this is tied to my point that, in Iraq, let the Marines do their job. There may be some civilian casualties—that’s known as war. Americans can live with that. And when did we become the guardian of the world to prevent all civilian casualties, ever—how about our civilians?"

O.
    M.
    F.
    G.

This woman is a f*cking lunatic!! How about she goes and reads the little thing called The Geneva Convention which, last time I checked, the US of A was a signatory to.

People like *her* are a damn good part of the reason why the US is not particularly well received in many parts of the world these days. She, and her ilk, are so deluded that they frighten me to see just how deep into the depths of rank ignorance, hypocracy and outright bigotry that the human race can plumb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Lemming wrote:
    How about she goes and reads the little thing called The Geneva Convention which, last time I checked, the US of A was a signatory to.
    And consisantly and regularily violate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

And consisantly and regularily violate...
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/561/5170989.html

The new US Attorney General, Alberto Gonzales was one of the men responsible for that. Apparently the Geneva Convention is now 'quaint' and 'obsolete' in respect to its stance on prisoners and detainees.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

mike65 wrote:

Oh my beautiful eyes! *howls in pain*
    Dammit Mike, a bit more warning next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

She's an evil sucubus spawned from the deepest, darkest bowels of hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

she is pro life but wants to nuke north korea then Iran

how pro life is that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Heh someone should ask her "If it was discovered that liberalism was caused by an hereditary gene, would you favour abortion in babys found with the defect?".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hobbes, this is the woman who advocated killing liberals just so they'd fall into line with republican policy. I don't think she'd oppose abortion for liberal babies - I think she'd be out there in a flash armed with a coat hanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

her pro life position would let them be born then ship them to north korea and nuke them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right click save as... and stand well back!

She's just a gag-meister really...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

She strikes me as an intelligent woman making quite a bit of cash and fame from writing material to pander to a particular audience, to give them something to snigger at it in private. I'm sure a lot of what she writes is carefully selected for its appeal, not necessarily because she actually believes in it. Also, she can look a bit foxy in some of her photos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I usually get a good laugh out of Ann Coulter's letting the air our of left-wing gas-bags. As for libel about Clinton and rape, I think there were one or two of the horde of women who have come forward to tell about Slick's unwanted attentions who claim he either committed actual rape, or something very close to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

i'm not a liberal by any means, but i have little time for her insane ramblings. the problem is that some of what she says is just normal middle class ethics. she gives right wing politics and consevatism a bad name (altho most posters here probably feel that it never had a good one!) personally, i feel the woman is a joke and should be treated as such.

the interviewer from the piece didn't even bother challenging her on anything she said. let a wench like that ramble and she'll hang gerself. pity carol coulter from RTE didn't do similar when she intervied GW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Ann is excellent :) lets not forget her invade their countries and send in the christian missionaries to convert them statement.

I totally agree with what Regi says and I am sure the more outrage she causes in the "liberial" camp the happier she is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

mike65 wrote:
    this is why she's on national televison...:eek: another good reason for NTL to carry it.

Mike.

I'm not sure that's really her at all. If you look at this clip from the Al Pieda Martyr's attack, you will see that she is in fact an anorexic stick insect with about as much sex appeal as your granny. I reckon even Bill Clinton wouldn't touch her with yours.

Give me a sandwich between Jo Brand and Pauline Quirke any day. :D

Still, we're more interested in her mind than her body anyway.
    Just as well, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Give me a sandwich between Jo Brand and Pauline Quirke any day. :D
    QUOTE]

ah come on, its lunch time, please don't ruin it for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

cdebru wrote:
    she is pro life but wants to nuke north korea then Iran

how pro life is that

To quote Bill Hicks:

"These are christians for 'stronger nuclear armament' !!! What a gread deal of faith!"

And ....

"I want to see pro-life people going into funeral parlours and breaking open the coffins and telling people to get out."

(granted, I paraphrased that last bit)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Lemming wrote:
    To quote Bill Hicks:

"These are christians for 'stronger nuclear armament' !!! What a gread deal of faith!"

And ....

"I want to see pro-life people going into funeral parlours and breaking open the coffins and telling people to get out."

(granted, I paraphrased that last bit)

Bill we need you now!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://www.freespeeches.net/documents/2004/nov/04_11_30_Coulter_Carlson.php
    [edit] this just had me in stitches..
    COULTER: They need us. They better hope the United States doesn't roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent. The idea that we need Canada...

COLMES: That's very nice of you to allow Canada to be our neighbor. You know, it's called geography. We don't really have a choice. We have to live in a global community.

COULTER: We could have taken them over so easily.

COLMES: We could have taken them over? Is that what you want?

COULTER: Yes, but no. All I want is the western portion, the ski areas, the cowboys and the right-wingers.

Says it all really. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Hobbes wrote:
    http://www.freespeeches.net/documents/2004/nov/04_11_30_Coulter_Carlson.php
    [edit] this just had me in stitches..

Says it all really. :rolleyes:

Ever seen the woody allen movie "everybody says that I love you" Allen Alda is enraged by his sons right wing politics (dear fetch my will and an eraser) only to discover later in the movie that his sounds irrational right wing arguments stem from the blood clot cutting oxygen from his brain.

I'm not saying ann coulter has a blood clot in her brain, I'm just saying, I'm willing to explore the possibility if someone holds her down and hands me the rusty screwdriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Shes the anti-Michael Moore. Even down to being photogenic. Political debate is on a race to the lowest common denominator - not just in America either before people get "shure-arent-we-a-great-little-island-all-the-same" smug, so dont be surprised that they both throw out moronic tripe.

One thing I will say is from that article shes strikes me as being a political shark more than anything else. Moore actually believes a lot of the crap he spouts. He deliberately obscures facts/outright lies to sell his point of view, but you get the impression he believes hes fighting the good fight. Or at least more so than Coulter, who sounds like she will say anything to try and persuade someone to vote Republican. I reckon if Coulter thought the Republicans could get a more solid, loyal base than the Christian right by embracing a pro-choice position shed swing to that position without a seconds thought. I dont think Moore would sacrifice his views so easily, even to get rid of Bush as demonstrated by his reluctance to endorse Kerry.

One thing I will say is when Moore spouts ****e I remember some people talking about how he was a useful starting point for people curious about a political issue yadda yadda. Would Coulter also be a useful starting point, or merely the spawn of evil?

Sand wrote:
    One thing I will say is when Moore spouts ****e I remember some people talking about how he was a useful starting point for people curious about a political issue yadda yadda. Would Coulter also be a useful starting point, or merely the spawn of evil?

Okay I'm in two minds. I hate agreeing with Sands, but when you read Moore's stuff on NI you just shake your head at his lack of any nuanced politic idealogly or ability to understand a mixture of the social and politic realities of the situation; not to meantion the pig ignorance of both sides.

But seriously at least he attempts to get his head around an issue, how can you argue with someone who thinks Afganistan is going well, or how Iraq is a beautiful place, or lets start by nuking North Korean. Theres not really a starting point for a serious political debate, I mean where do you go from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Okay I'm in two minds. I hate agreeing with Sands

Ah gwan, it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
    But seriously at least he attempts to get his head around an issue,

Like Northern Ireland? :) To be honest, once I read that part of his book I threw it away because the stupidity in it meant everything else had to be highly suspect by default. Someone unfamiliar with Northern Ireland - like your average American - might take that ****e seriously. I had to ensure I didnt make the mistake of taking his views on American politics (which we cant claim to be any more familiar with) seriously to compound the error.
    how can you argue with someone who thinks Afganistan is going well, or how Iraq is a beautiful place, or lets start by nuking North Korean. Theres not really a starting point for a serious political debate, I mean where do you go from there?

Look at it from the other side - how do you talk to someone who believes the US is an Orwellian militant dictatorship? That Fox News, where Hobbes got his amusing putdown to Coulter, is the Republican Ministry of Truth? Or that the Northern Ireland situation is a clear cut case of Catholic freedom fighters resisting Protestant oppression? Where do you go from there indeed. The problem is everyone here would recognise Coulter as a nutcase, but Moore is hailed as a passionate, if slightly inaccurate, prophet of the American left.

Blue tinted glasses maybe?

Sand wrote:
    Ah gwan, it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

More cold n clamy sorry.
    Like Northern Ireland? :) To be honest, once I read that part of his book I threw it away because the stupidity in it meant everything else had to be highly suspect by default. Someone unfamiliar with Northern Ireland - like your average American - might take that ****e seriously. I had to ensure I didnt make the mistake of taking his views on American politics (which we cant claim to be any more familiar with) seriously to compound the error.

yeah you'll notice how theres a total lack of praise in my orginal post for Moores simplistic NI worldview?
    Look at it from the other side - how do you talk to someone who believes the US is an Orwellian militant dictatorship? That Fox News, where Hobbes got his amusing putdown to Coulter, is the Republican Ministry of Truth? Or that the Northern Ireland situation is a clear cut case of Catholic freedom fighters resisting Protestant oppression? Where do you go from there indeed. The problem is everyone here would recognise Coulter as a nutcase, but Moore is hailed as a passionate, if slightly inaccurate, prophet of the American left.

Blue tinted glasses maybe?

yeah but Moore doesn't demand or suggest violence againist a country or social group. Coulters view point is profoundly US centeric and displays a constant F*ck with us and will just stomp on you sorry "yeah I know we armed you but we can still kick your ass" attitude, there is no attempt at dialogue reasoning or empathy in the womans reasoning. America is either Morally, Socialy, Ethicaly, Militarialy, or Economically superior (delete where applicable) to it's opposition, and therefore has a god given right to inflict this administrations idealogy on whomever it pleases.

A better analogy would not be to compare her to Moore but Lord Haw Haw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

for all his failings as a mediocre journalist at best, I can't remember the last time michael moore advocated mass genocide or nuking any place on the planet?

its pathetic to try and compare him to ann coulter. You may as well be comparing bertie to Osama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Right on cue, the bushbots drag the IRA into another thread for no apparent reason. Excellent.

The problem with Coulter is not just that she's a loony and a complusive liar with a bad case of Tourettes, it's that the common garden loonies can point at her and go 'I'm not a loony! She is! I'm mainstream me!' and look like moderates by comparison while baying for loony staples like the death penalty, invasions of everywhere, privatisation of everything etc.

Mad as a gate.
    During an interview with FAIR's radio show CounterSpin (8/9/02), Coulter challenged a story about her reported by Washington Post media reporter Howard Kurtz:

Howard Kurtz made up a quote about a Vietnam vet, which he knows he made up, which has now run twice in the Washington Post, once in Talk magazine, once in People Magazine, once in the Washingtonian. It's something I allegedly said on TV. Why doesn't somebody produce a tape of that?

Coulter was referring to Kurtz's account of a 1997 debate on MSNBC's NewsChat show (10/11/97), when Coulter was a paid MSNBC contributor. According to Kurtz (Washington Post, 10/16/98), "Coulter was debating a disabled Vietnam vet when she snapped: 'People like you caused us to lose that war.' (She says she didn't know the guest, appearing by satellite, was disabled.) That ended her MSNBC career."

That Post report, Coulter told CounterSpin, was "absolute lies.... It's absolutely out of character for me."

Extra! asked Kurtz about the charge that he'd fabricated the quote for his report. In an email, Kurtz responded: "The account of Ann Coulter's remarks to the veteran on MSNBC was provided to me by Coulter herself, who told me she liked the piece and never complained about the passage until she was trying to sell books."

Kurtz also told Extra! that MSNBC had confirmed that Coulter was let go after making such a comment to a disabled Vietnam veteran.

In the MSNBC NewsChat segment, in which Coulter debated Bobby Muller, president of the Vietnam Veterans of America Foundation, her exact words to the paralyzed veteran were: "No wonder you guys lost." She was interrupting Muller's point about the role that landmines played in the Vietnam War: "In 90 percent of cases that U.S. soldiers got blown up--Ann, are you listening?--they were our own mines."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Memnoch wrote:
    for all his failings as a mediocre journalist at best,
    I wouldn't class him as a journalist. He's a film maker, I haven't seen Roger And Me or the new one but Bowling For Columbine is a pretty well made and powerful film.

Advertisement