Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dublin Wall

• 06-01-2005 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Taken from http://www.climbing.ie/
    Posted on behalf of Dominic Green (dom @ outsider.ie):

Hello to all you Dublin based climbers,

This is another attempt to build a dedicated wall in Dublin. I am sticking my head above the parapet a bit earlier than I would have hoped, simply because I need letters of support, emails will do but letters would be better.

So what is so different about this attempt to get a wall off the ground? We have a building earmarked. It is central (about the same distance away from O'Connell Bridge as Baggot Bridge). It is too early in the day for me to go into further detail as to its precise location, although I will be a bit more forthcoming if you represent an organisation and need some more info. Floor area would be roughly 700sqm. There are separate areas for a bouldering room and a toprope/lead facility. Quality bouldering will not be overlooked, and the standard of lead wall will be international standard, right through to beginner, with interesting and varies surfaces and routes to climb on. The intention would be to provide a cafe and pro shop of some sort too. Entry in most walls in Europe and the UK hovers around the 10Euro mark for a one off visitor, with various ways of making that cheaper for the regular user, so we'd be looking at a similar rate.

The way in which this will be established, is to form a club. This would be an easy to join, open organisation, which would not make it prohibitive even for a one off visit. It would have to be a bona fide club. Although this brings to mind a famous Groucho Marx quote, this is the only way that I can see to make this viable here in Ireland.

At an appropriate point in the near future, I will announce an inaugural meeting, prior to the opening of the wall, founder members will have a special offer. Right now, I need to prove to those interested parties, the huge pent up demand for such a facility in Dublin.

Emails can be sent to me here.

Letters addressed to

Dominic Green
    1 Marlborough Rd
    Glenageary
    Co. Dublin

Please support this, however skeptical you may feel about its success, it is my job to figure out and then prove if it is finally a runner or not. Get your mates to write in. international and countrywide support is most appreciated too, after all you may find yourself in Dublin on a wet afternoon one day.

Just by way of conclusion, I'd rather shoot myself now than open a **** wall, so this will be right up there with anything decent you may have seen in Europe or the US.

Questions can be emailed here or call me on (pm me, Evil Phil, if you want the number)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Good luck!!!
    Hopefullly it works out... badly needed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Gearoid

Have you Ever seen the Indoor climbing gym in Imst, Tirol, Austria? it's the biggest in Europe and apparently the local council paid for it! Makes you think how little commitment the government has for sports here unless it's a billion euro stadium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Gearoid wrote:
    Makes you think how little commitment the government has for sports here unless it's a billion euro stadium!
    Golf courses are popular too.

From what I hear the two main problems with locating a wall in Dublin are getting a location to house it when property prices are so high. And then there is getting climbers to pay for it. They bitch and whine at what they have to pay at the moment so it will be tricky to get enough punters in the door at eur10 per head to cover your costs.

Advertisement