Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angry with the vet

• 06-01-2005 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum so mod move if you must..
    A few months ago my dog died from the dog form of hiv, he was very sick last april so i took him to a vet,vet examined him in our car(private practice) gave him a few injections and told me to take him back in a day if there was no improvement he said that he had pneumonia, the dog was no better following day so brought him back, that night he ran away, he was still very sick and he had never went past our gate without me, (he wouldnt even go with my mum/dad) so was very unusual, i thought he had died and my dad took him out before i woke up but, two days later a neighour brought back a very very confused dog that bore a slight resemblence to mine, he was walking into walls and standing with his head in the cornor, the vet couldnt see him until half 5 that evening, surprisingly the dog lived that long, anyhow we noticed the dogs urine was bright orange, mentioned that to the vet, vet changed his mind and said dog had bad kidney infection and gave him a few more shots, he seems to improve a lot and the next day he seemed nearly back to himself,brought him back to get more shots that day.. vet said that should do it and he was right dog was fine, back to himself until end of november, started looking bloated and didnt seem to be able to go to the toilet at all, rang the vet and he told us to collect a bootle of stuff in his surgery later that evening.. that didnt work, now the dog stopped eatind/drinking so we rang the vet back, he said he'd be at his sons (our neighbours) house later on that night so to bring the dog there, when we did
    the vet looked into the car and listened to his heart, didnt examine him, didnt take his temp jus gave him a few shots and said it was gastrointerious (sp?) my mum then asked if he needed to see the dod the next day, vet then gave another shot and said ah no, this should carry him over until friday which was two days later, the next day dog was even worse just to touch his tummy made him throw up, so i rang another vet and brought him in that evening, he examined him, said he was running a very high temp, showed me and my dad where his skin/gums turned yellow gave him an injection to help him go toilet, he said that he was very sick and that he didnt hold much hope, he gave us little tablets to give to him and said that the injections were only going to boost him, and we were to take him in the next day, he said to get as much fluid into him as possible and gave me as syeringe to squirt the water into his mouth if he refused to drink, the dog died that night.
    now im blaming the other vet for letting him die, if he had to examine him properly first time round, 2nd vet said that last april was the onset of it, and i had mentione dto the 1st vet a few months back that the dogs urine had not returned to its proper colour vet said was nothing to worry about, we got a bill 218 euro from the first vet today and im just so pi$$ed off with him because a)he knew he died and b) i dont think that he should be paid for killing dogs. if a doctor done that they'd be struck off. i'd have paid any amount had the dog lived or even if it hadnt i wouldnt mind paying if i knew that the vet done his best...,
    thanks for reading i no its very long and prob not making much sense..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'm sorry to hear about your dog but I have to agree that there really are some incompetent vets around. I had to deal with one myself who charged to have my cat overnight to observe him and because the cat didn't do his business the vet said he couldn't come to any conclusion but decided to charge rather healthily anyway. I suppose there are probably more dodgy vets around than GPs due to the fact that if a GP makes a sloppy mistake he's buggered. It really is worth finding a good vet before you get a pet,you can usually tell by talking to them and seeing what they're like as people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

I'm sorry to hear about your dog but I have to agree that there really are some incompetent vets around. I had to deal with one myself who charged to have my cat overnight to observe him and because the cat didn't do his business the vet said he couldn't come to any conclusion but decided to charge rather healthily anyway. I suppose there are probably more dodgy vets around than GPs due to the fact that if a GP makes a sloppy mistake he's buggered. It really is worth finding a good vet before you get a pet,you can usually tell by talking to them and seeing what they're like as people.
    But he seems nice to talk to, caring and hes old enough.. and for some strange reason i tend to relly trust older people, dunno if i mentioned in start of thread but that was not the first dog he let die belonging to me. one in june 2.
    i can never remember not having a dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

shelly04 wrote:
    But he seems nice to talk to, caring and hes old enough.. and for some strange reason i tend to relly trust older people, dunno if i mentioned in start of thread but that was not the first dog he let die belonging to me. one in june 2.
    i can never remember not having a dog.

I personally hate bringing a sick animal to the vet because I'm so afraid that the vet will mis-diagnose and the animal will die. There is a good vet near me, once my cat was so sick that the vet took her home with her to look after her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Invader Zim

If he's a bad vet why did you continue to use him?

Welcome to free marrket capitalism my friend.

Invader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sorry to hear about your dog, like with anything you need to shop around for a suitable vet.

What part of the country are you in and I might be able to recommend a better vet in your county should you choose to have any more animals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭shelly04

If he's a bad vet why did you continue to use him?

Welcome to free marrket capitalism my friend.

Invader
    I didnt blame him for the first dog dying cause it seemed like he done his best at the time, a few hours before he died vet said his lungs/heart was closing down, and i prob wouldnt blame hom for 2nd dog either expept other vet told us what was really wrong AFTER he examined im, he didnt just guess.. will never ever go back to that vet again. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I can reccomend a really good vets if you want to PM me about it.

Advertisement