Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you actually like your course?

Options
  • 06-01-2005 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know we all moan about 9am lectures (8.30 if in surgeons :eek: ), and ppl doing science courses moan about labs, other students don't like certain parts of their courses etc etc, but if you really think about it do you like the course despite all the grumbling? Just wondering cause although I enjoyed 6th year, I've never been happier than for the last 4 months doing my course, I just get a happy feeling whenever I'm in college (diminishes when I'm in chemistry labs but reappears as soon as I come out!). I was talking to a few of my friends and they said they felt the same so is that the case generally?!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

yeah, I would have to say I like my course in general. :)
    1 thing i dont like is that deadlines for projects + essays all come one after the other. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you don't like your course then why not change to something you'll like... you don't want to end up stuck in a career that you don't like... if you've been doing the course for 2.5 years I wouldn't advise dropping out though.

John

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I like my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Lump wrote:
    If you don't like your course then why not change to something you'll like... you don't want to end up stuck in a career that you don't like... if you've been doing the course for 2.5 years I wouldn't advise dropping out though.

John

Yeah I know that but 1 friend from school is in a course he hates and won't leave. I was wondering whether it was a common occurrence!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'm not the fondest of I.T, dunno why I put it on CAO, it's ok I suppose but I would've prefered to do a course that's solely on languages like the one in Tallaght I.T, but I didn't want to move to Dublin. Oh well, I guess I'll finish this course and do a course similar to the one in Tallaght I.T when I'm a mature student.

• Advertisement

What?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Lump wrote:
    What?

John
    Eh... did my typing not make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

yea i like my course in general. i adore English and History is ok. i wouldnt say i love it or anything but some of it is very interesting and at least in second year theres a fair bit of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ms Beanbag

yea i like my course in general. i adore English and History is ok. i wouldnt say i love it or anything but some of it is very interesting and at least in second year theres a fair bit of choice.
    I have a friend in UCD and she's studying english and history aswell. she has to write very difficult and long essays...
    what kind of jobs do people get from doing an Arts course??
    the only job i can really see is teaching..

I did arts... Have a BA in Media Production. I'm working in the BBC now.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm in ucd arts, i do not like my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lump wrote:
    if you've been doing the course for 2.5 years I wouldn't advise dropping out though.
    That would be me. :(
    My dream course would be Computer Science and Japanese. I'm doing maths physics in UCD. Go figure.

Maths.... Ouch!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That would be me. :(
    My dream course would be Computer Science and Japanese. I'm doing maths physics in UCD. Go figure.

Sounds like me mate, am stuck in final year maths/physics in UCC, and all I do is count the days til I'm finished. I like maths and physics don't get me wrong and I have an interest in them both, but I just don't fit well into my course and its structures.

I sincerely regret choosing it in my CAO, I've given alot of thought to restarting a degree in Commerce or Business which are my main interests. I just don't have the personality for my course if you get what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

i really like english and quite like history, but sociology is a pain. when i drop it next year i expect to enjoy my course more

nesf wrote:
    Sounds like me mate, am stuck in final year maths/physics in UCC, and all I do is count the days til I'm finished. I like maths and physics don't get me wrong and I have an interest in them both, but I just don't fit well into my course and its structures.

I sincerely regret choosing it in my CAO, I've given alot of thought to restarting a degree in Commerce or Business which are my main interests. I just don't have the personality for my course if you get what I mean.
    I'm thinking of restarting too, but I'm thinking of either Computer Applications in DCU or Computer Games Technology in University of Abertay, Dundee. And I know exactly what you mean about the not fitting well into course thing. There's nothing like mathematical subjects to kick you in the arse every day you walk into college.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If you are interested in computer games then you could do worse than to bear in mind that people with a strong maths and physics background should be at an advantage when it comes to developing games engines. Certainly at least some of the games related postgraduate courses you'll find at http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ would consider such an applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'm thinking of restarting too, but I'm thinking of either Computer Applications in DCU or Computer Games Technology in University of Abertay, Dundee. And I know exactly what you mean about the not fitting well into course thing. There's nothing like mathematical subjects to kick you in the arse every day you walk into college.

What gets to me is that I'm good at maths and physics and have co-published academic papers with some of my lectures. I just really hate the undergraduate side of things. Mainly this is due to stuff not related to college though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

I sincerely regret choosing it in my CAO, I've given alot of thought to restarting a degree in Commerce or Business which are my main interests.

The UCC commerce course ain't heaven either tbh. I'd take a good hard look at the book of modules and talk to some students before commiting to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

i really like english and quite like history, but sociology is a pain. when i drop it next year i expect to enjoy my course more

I find Sociology fascinating. Do you do it out in UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

ferdi wrote:
    i'm in ucd arts, i do not like my course.

Ditto. But f**k it, college ain't the end of the world.

Just feels like UCD eats a small part of your soul every day sometimes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Just feels like UCD eats a small part of your soul every day sometimes...

Why? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Like some of my classes a lot... skip the ones I dont like.

If you are in your final year and don't like your course or the potential employment areas it offers then why in gods name are you still at it.

Thats just a waste of your life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

damnyanks wrote:
    If you are in your final year and don't like your course or the potential employment areas it offers then why in gods name are you still at it. Thats just a waste of your life

Reserve judgement 'til you're in your last year too, 'Yanks. Things don't always work out the way you expect them. About the time you're finishing 2nd year and starting 3rd year, this sort of issue can start to bug you - getting a job, where to work, should I emmigrate etc. 'tis a pain in the hole.

Didn't really work out the way I expected things to either. I loved first year, I was really motivated and I did really well. Then second year things kinda fell apart. I totally lost all interest and motivation and failed my summer exams. Got the repeats, scraped into 3rd year and if anything I hate my course even more this year. And the worst thing? 4 year course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I love my course now - computer science (DIT), I'm in 3rd year and starting a 6 month work placement in ESB next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

That course in abertay is structured like allot of IT courses.
    The first 2 years are study for an IT diploma, after that you can do either Computer Games Technology (Programming and developing the hardware etc) or Games Design (More arts based).

Now abertay is a fairly hard course to get into. your looking at (Last time i checked about 2 years ago) B3 in alot of honours subjects, possibly more.
    It says it on the website. its a nice University and i enjoyed my stay over in Dundee itself but its something you really wanna research before you go into, especially since you'll be in a different country and starting over again.

I recently changed course, was doing Comp Science in DIT but was struggling in Second year after failing to show for a lot of lectures at the start of the year (Various reasons) I also have not much interest in C++ and some other programming languages (Or atleast what they were teaching us) so i decided it might be better to change course. I got a job offer shortly before deciding to switch so i went into PArt time college and work full time. I must say, I had lots of work to catch up on and im currently doing 5 modules in a course where the standard is 3 but I enjoy the challenge.

You can always talk to the advisors. I know DIT has one, its aimed at trying to stop students just dropping out. Its well worth the decision, especially since all you need to pay is the capatation fee on the course (Providing you've paid the €750 or so already). But, if your far enough into a degree, it may not be worth dropping out now as you could just finish the degree and re sit modules for a degree in soemthing you like.
    Where theres a will theres a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Transferring makes things a lot easier if going to the UK. I did a cert in computing got a 2.1 average and was accepted into a lot of UK Uni's second year (3 year degree's there). 3 of them were ranked top 20 in the UK

It seems a lot easier then going through the leaving and worth more as after 2 years you will know if you actually want to study computers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭anna20

i'm in b+l in ucd and i have to admit i love the course.think part of it has to do with the atmosphere in the year and the people too as well as the course subjects etc

Advertisement