Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you actually like your course?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Its takes a lot of thought and then commitment to your thoughts to actually transfer. I started a national cert in computing in 2002 with aspirations to go on and get an honours degree after 4 years. I pretty much got sick of the course in second year and decided to look for something else. Spoke to the careers officer in the college and she pretty much told me to do whatever makes me happy. So I finished out my cert just so i wouldnt have wasted 2 years and started a BA in European studies last sept. Since then ive never looked back. I absolutely love the course and am looking forward to the next 3.5 years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

I'm Japanese/German in DCU, and definitely loving it. Probably one of those lucky people that got into a course that's perfect for me, but eh. I can see what people mean about not liking their courses, my Japanese class went from 29 to 15 in one semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I do English and Linguistics in UCD, there are bits of both courses that I hate (Morphology, Phonology and Old and Middle English), bits that are alright (Syntax, Pragmatics, Semantics, Early Modern English) and bits that I absolutely adore (Critical Discourse Analysis, Language and Mind, Language Impairment, and any 20th century English stuff). I'm in final year and am having problems deciding whether I want to do postgrad work in Linguistics, Modern English or Cognitive Science because I love them all in different ways. *hi-fives self*

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I did Arts in UCD and I loved it. Then I took a year out and worked for a bit and decided what to do next. Now I'm studying Sound Engineering in Pulse Recording College. It's fantastic fun, the only downside was the fees at the beginning of the year, €4500 for the year. Plus I'm now on a career path for something I've always wanted to do :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Just feels like UCD eats a small part of your soul every day sometimes...

lmfao

im in UCC doing Comp Science...every time i think about it i get this grey/dark feeling in my mind...im not trying to make it seem weird but i really feel bleak when i think about a future in it...
    My dream course would be Computer Science and Japanese. I'm doing maths physics in UCD. Go figure.

I know you probably have your own opinions about comp science but really really think about it before you go into it...i can only speak for UCC but imo ho it attracts the wrong kind of people 99% of the time...i mean in UCC 70% of the first years last year failed their entire year (including repeats)....and thats because the points were low...i mean @ 290 points its going to attract a lot of d!ckheads...

im thinking of changing to and engineering course...mech or marine eng probably...dunno yet...btw...anyone got any info on marine eng please reply to my post...i cant get a bit from any websites...ty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

In final year Elec. Eng. in Galway.

Sick to the teeth with some parts.
    Just want to get out, make a bit of money and get into networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I know you probably have your own opinions about comp science but really really think about it before you go into it...i can only speak for UCC but imo ho it attracts the wrong kind of people 99% of the time...i mean in UCC 70% of the first years last year failed their entire year (including repeats)....and thats because the points were low...i mean @ 290 points its going to attract a lot of d!ckheads...
    I'm not particularly worried about failing. I started out in UCD as denominated mathematical science, took maths, maths physics, experimental physics and computer science in 1st year. In CS I got in the 80s despite only studying properly for it for a week. I've just spent the last 2 years in a big "I hate my course"-shaped hole. Also my interests in general have shifted since I started in college.

Its odd. I started college doing Theoretical Physics, but quickly knew it was not for me. I transferred into General Engineering after 3 months, and have had a love/hate relationship with it since then (presently 3rd year civil engineering). Some parts of it (transportation & highway engineering) is great, the rest is fairly monotonous. In second year I got involved with some other activities in college, and in the end would much rather be involved with them then do anything in college (duh, you might say, but its a little different then a club/society!). I'm kinda stuck in a rut now that I'm in a year which is worth 20% of my degree and don't want to spend time doing anything that goes towards my degree.

I'm taking a year out next year before going into final year - at this stage, I don't really know what I want to do. After I get my degree (which will hopefully be a half decent honours degree) I'm planning to go away for a good while, to find out what exactly I want to do. Chances are I won't find it, but methinks attempting to find what I want to do is something I want to do!

Bah, there's my 2 cent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

awesome outlook myth...

rainbow kirby...i see you point...in that case go for it...best of luck

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Didn't really work out the way I expected things to either. I loved first year, I was really motivated and I did really well. Then second year things kinda fell apart. I totally lost all interest and motivation and failed my summer exams. Got the repeats, scraped into 3rd year and if anything I hate my course even more this year. And the worst thing? 4 year course.
    Pretty much, the same downward spiral for me with Computer Applications in DCU, although I don't hate it just yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I really like my course. Manufacturing Systems Engineering @ wit

Advertisement