Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Cards - Goverment Duty

Options
  • 06-01-2005 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a Bank Of Ireland Student Credit Card soon, but I don't really *have* to get it untill about May - it'd be handy to have it sooner, but not a necessity - so I'm wondering how the goverment duty is paid each year is it a case of paying say, every April, regardless of when you get the card, or is it a year from when you receive the card, ie get the card in February 2005, pay the duty in February 2006?
    For some reason I've got a feeling that it's the April (or some other month in the 1st/2nd quarter) scenario and if it is, I don't want to go wasting €40 to use the card for 2-3 months.
    If anybody knows what the situation is, I'd appreciate if you could let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

*Bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Phone Bank of Ireland. They (should) want your business so should be willing to answer all your questions.
    Their website might answer these questions in their FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

i thought that the budget stated that the goverment leve was lifted and we wont have to pay it anymore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Yeah - that was one of the good things in the budget. I just wasn't sure when it kicked in??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Bah wrote:
    I'm looking to get a Bank Of Ireland Student Credit Card soon, but I don't really *have* to get it untill about May - it'd be handy to have it sooner, but not a necessity - so I'm wondering how the goverment duty is paid each year is it a case of paying say, every April, regardless of when you get the card, or is it a year from when you receive the card, ie get the card in February 2005, pay the duty in February 2006?
    For some reason I've got a feeling that it's the April (or some other month in the 1st/2nd quarter) scenario and if it is, I don't want to go wasting €40 to use the card for 2-3 months.
    If anybody knows what the situation is, I'd appreciate if you could let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

As far as I know it worked like this: (didnt realise the budget got rid of it)

Its paid every April.
    But if you get rid of your card before April you pay it when you get rid of the card. So even if you only have the card for a month you still pay the full amount. Sucks doesnt it.

I think ive recently been screwed by BOI myself. Have a student account for the past 4 years, which im almost 100 per cent sure had an overdraft faciity advertised as one of its perks.
    I never needed to use it before until last wk. I went 10 into overdraft. Checking banking365 on the net the next night I saw a HUGE advertisment thing saying id been approved for an overdraft, and to avail I had to click the link, overwise Id be charged loadsa interest on the 10 i was already in overdraft with. Anyway, it turns out i have to pay a yearly fee of 25 for this overdraft facility. I thought it came free with student accounts?!?! Anyone know what the deal is?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

funkyniff wrote:
    i thought that the budget stated that the goverment leve was lifted and we wont have to pay it anymore!!

I wish!

The stamp duty on credit cards was NOT removed in the recent budget. You just won't have to pay it twice in the one year if you move from one credit card company to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

TSB charge me in January for my Laser Card. So it aint April.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Bond-007 wrote:
    TSB charge me in January for my Laser Card. So it aint April.

No its only your CC that gets charged in April. The others get charges as you pointed out, in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It should. i think the problem is they dont think you have a student account anymore
    (this happened to me, same circumstances too - overdraft)
    call them, whinge :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement