Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF critical of decision to change guidelines for IKEA

Options
  • 06-01-2005 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.politics.ie/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6785
    SF critical of decision to change guidelines for IKEA
    Monday, January 05

Sinn Féin spokesperson on the Environment, Arthur Morgan TD, has strongly criticised the decision of the Cabinet today to agree to change retail and planning guidelines so as to allow Swedish furniture giant IKEA open an outlet several times larger than current maximum permitted.

Deputy Morgan said, "It is not only incredible but absolutely unacceptable that Government retail and planning policy should be dictated by a single furniture retailer. This is one of the most craven decisions made by this Government and represents a worrying trend whereby large corporations are now calling the shots in terms of policy direction.

"Minister Roche may try and dress it up in the language of 'consumer rights' and claim there are restrictions to accompany the new guidelines but the reality is this decision was taken by a weak Government and even weaker Minister because they crumbled in the face of intense pressure from IKEA.

"This decision will represent the thin end of the wedge and will ultimately allow the likes of WalMart, with its notorious and appalling employer record, enter the Irish market. Slavishly following the US model of building massive out of town retail/warehouse outlets will have a detrimental effect not only on smaller and indigenous retailers, who have abided by the current guidelines, but will also have a massive effect on local communities and the environment.

"Ballymun does not need 500 minimum-wage retail jobs in a single outlet, which in any case, will be taken from other parts of the city, it needs sustainable and diverse employment opportunities. Rather than claiming this as a success it is a failure of Government policy. Putting all your eggs in one basket is no solution to the decades of neglect suffered by the people of Ballymun."

Sinn Féin seem to be the only ones that have made a comment about the entry of the IKEA group into Ireland.

I'm not convinced that given the current labour market in Ireland; that we need 500 minimum wage paying jobs. Also, if IKEA take an agressive pricing stance, it's likely that we'll see native Irish furnishing businesses go to the wall, forcing it's employees to possibly seek the lower paying jobs in IKEA.

It's also likely that if IKEA can enter the Irish market then there'll be nothing to stop Wal-Mart from entering too. Irish law forbids anyone to sell anything at below cost price, given however that Wal-Mart's costs would be far lower than that of Dunnes, Tesco or the like we could soon see closures of those firms that supplanted the local shops of Ireland. Ironic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    It's a barrier to the whole Wal-Mart ideology of opening massive stores that almost border on warehouses though. I don't know how they operate in England but the Wal-Mart's in the USA are many times the size of even the largest Irish supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only thing wrong with IKEA coming is that they want to be based in Dublin, the ideal location would be on the Portlaoise by pass. 50 mins of motorway from M-50 for the Dubs and much closer to ppl elsewhere who won't have to get caught up in Dublin traffic.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err What native furniture businesses. Anything that is produced here is normally aimed at the higher end of the market. IKEA will be competing with B&Q, Argos and other such bastions of Irish commerce :rolleyes:

I welcome this, we do not have enough competition in this country. The only problem I have with it is will they have the infrastructure to cope with the extra traffic this store will generate. That should be a condition of planning permission. It is also rich for Sinn Fein to say jobs are not needed, they are always needed even if they are entry level everyone has to start somewhere. We all don't have a Northern Bank retirement plan to fall back on.

Oh I believe the Greens are against this as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mike65 wrote:
    The only thing wrong with IKEA coming is that they want to be based in Dublin, the ideal location would be on the Portlaoise by pass. 50 mins of motorway from M-50 for the Dubs and much closer to ppl elsewhere who won't have to get caught up in Dublin traffic.

Mike.
    Not only this there is a possibility of yet another M50 bottleneck. Maybe they should pay for any upgrades to the exit. In Germany SAP had to pay for their own exit.

Would be interested to hear SF's economic take on this , after all one day Arthur could be doing the Budget . :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I'm not convinced that given the current labour market in Ireland; that we need 500 minimum wage paying jobs. Also, if IKEA take an agressive pricing stance, it's likely that we'll see native Irish furnishing businesses go to the wall, forcing it's employees to possibly seek the lower paying jobs in IKEA.

It's also likely that if IKEA can enter the Irish market then there'll be nothing to stop Wal-Mart from entering too. Irish law forbids anyone to sell anything at below cost price, given however that Wal-Mart's costs would be far lower than that of Dunnes, Tesco or the like we could soon see closures of those firms that supplanted the local shops of Ireland. Ironic.

RGDATA called the decision "A bad precedent" according to Morning Ireland today. They probably mean it's a bad precedent because they will be forced to cut prices instead of ripping off the long oppressed Irish consumer.

On the point about below-cost selling, I think that ban only applies to groceries. I am against barriers to entry for foreign-businesses, because it encourages cartels to fix the prices for their busineses' profiteering ends. This is NOT on as far as I am concerned. As an Irish consumer I DEMAND choice. I demand that our Government dismantles barriers to commercial entry into Irish markets in the areas of electricity, gas, bus-travel, airports and health-insurance, and ESPECIALLY motor-insurance! Insurance costs in some cases are 10 times higher than in Spain, and far higher than most of Europe. Barriers to entry for companies into these markets explain most of our inflation.

Larger stores will open the way to bulk-buying = smaller cost per unit = lower prices. Good! :)

Oh, and don't get me started on the pub-industry! The ultimate example of what happens when a market is largely closed to extra competition.

As far as I am concerned, the problem with today's decision isn't that it goes too far. If anything, it doesn't go far enough. But it is welcome as far as it goes. But it must not end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

gandalf wrote:
    Err What native furniture businesses. Anything that is produced here is normally aimed at the higher end of the market. IKEA will be competing with B&Q, Argos and other such bastions of Irish commerce :rolleyes:

I welcome this, we do not have enough competition in this country. The only problem I have with it is will they have the infrastructure to cope with the extra traffic this store will generate. That should be a condition of planning permission. It is also rich for Sinn Fein to say jobs are not needed, they are always needed even if they are entry level everyone has to start somewhere. We all don't have a Northern Bank retirement plan to fall back on.

Oh I believe the Greens are against this as well.
    Oh right, there's no such thing as an Irish company that sells furniture. How silly of me
    gandalf wrote:
    It is also rich for Sinn Fein to say jobs are not needed, they are always needed even if they are entry level everyone has to start somewhere. We all don't have a Northern Bank retirement plan to fall back on.
    Now we've got the moderators trolling. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

On the point about below-cost selling, I think that ban only applies to groceries.
    True. Plus, it actually only applies to a limited number of lines in the grocery department not all groceries.

I heard that the change in the law does not apply to food outlets.They are still limited in size.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Now we've got the moderators trolling. Fantastic.

You are so right, gandalf banned from Politics for a week !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

why do all these people say ikea and walmart and starbucks coming in would be good for competition ? these are monolopistic comanpies that drive everyone esle out of business by saturating the market... which they can survive the the others can't... MS inspired(tm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Read "No Logo". It covers the business practises of these people. It would not be good thing to have in Ireland (the practises, I certainly welcome the businesses).

If "these people" are successful then more than likely it is because the customer is voting with his/her feet. and wallets, for IKEA. This moaning by the protectionists just reminds me of the taxi-drivers when they were resisting competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

gandalf wrote:
    Better quality for about the same price as B&Q/Argos, profits go to Sweden instead of Britain

I'm sure they'll be competing against some Irish companies, the ones who import flat-pack stuff and sell it with 300% mark-ups. I don't have much sympathy for them, they've had decades of this market being stacked in favour of the retailer. If they cut their margins enough they'll survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

If "these people" are successful then more than likely it is because the customer is voting with his/her feet. and wallets, for IKEA. This moaning by the protectionists just reminds me of the taxi-drivers when they were resisting competition.
    Competition's great as long as it doesn't come from darkies and muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If "these people" are successful then more than likely it is because the customer is voting with his/her feet.

Like I said. Do some reading up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Wal-Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

gandalf wrote:
    That should be a condition of planning permission. It is also rich for Sinn Fein to say jobs are not needed, they are always needed even if they are entry level everyone has to start somewhere. We all don't have a Northern Bank retirement plan to fall back on.

It's so much harder to get "insurance payments" out of big retailers like this as well ;)

gandalf wrote:
    It is also rich for Sinn Fein to say jobs are not needed, they are always needed even if they are entry level everyone has to start somewhere. We all don't have a Northern Bank retirement plan to fall back on.
    Lmao , I was tempted to report that post to the Category moderator :p

On the topic in question, the change in planning applies to all gateway towns[in the governments spatial plan] so any Irish firm is able to build a store in those areas within the new size limits.
    I fully agree with Gandalf, the jobs are needed.It will get people otherwise excluded onto the jobs ladder with something good on their CV.

Politically of course, so many new jobs in the area that IKEA want to move into, plus the associated business would be harmfull to SF's core vote catchment in that there would be less to complain about perhaps.
    Maybe thats the underlying reason for their objections to this? ( I hope not )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Cheaper furniture, that's also good quality, plus heaps of employment, plus heaps of knock-on employment for an area that needs it. Arthur Morgan should probably keep his idiotic thoughts to himself.

Bring 'em on in I say...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I don't know how they operate in England but the Wal-Mart's in the USA are many times the size of even the largest Irish supermarkets.
    As are some Carrefour and similar hypermarchés in France. Is that causing them any problems?
    ...the likes of WalMart, with its notorious and appalling employer record...
    The fact that Irish employment law differs from American would dilute this point substantially, I'd have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I for one welcome IKEA moving in - hopefully it will reduce the current extortionate prices the Irish retailers charge for furniture. IMHO however the quality of goods in IKEA ranges from poor to average - they are in no way any better than the B&Q's of this world quality-wise.

SF should also note that I'd be willing to bet massive majority of irish consumers will welcome IKEA moving in.

To to echo a previous poster - there is a huge ASDA-Walmart in the town I was born in - it has driven precisely none of the the other supermarkets out of the area.

Is IKEA the first to take advantage of the new regulations anyhow? B&Q Warehouses tend to be massive and yet they are building one in Swords. Clare Hall Tesco (which is not much smaller than the ASDA-Walmart mentioned) must also have gotten around the size regulations somehow. (Plus look how good that was for competition in Petrol Prices)

It should be noted that inspite of the scaremongers any Walmart over here would likely be part of the ASDA group - which has a very good record for treating its workers.

IKEA should definately pay for Road improvements though - both the Bristol and Birmingham IKEA's cause traffic nightmares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

On the subject of increasing shop sizes, I would disagree with SF. The key though is the planning process. The councils should be stipulating that any of these large 'shops' should incorporate improved public transport and road infrastructure to the place. If none is provided, a big bottle-neck will be created at the entrance and exit points. The IKEA in Glasgow (and the big shopping centre beside it - Braehead) cause huge tailbacks on the M8 in Glasgow and the stupid planners did not insist that the development converts a goods railway line that runs beside it for passenger services to Glasgow Central :confused:

On the subject of the regeneration of Ballymun, this is good news providing that a good proportion of the jobs are sourced in the regenerated Ballymun. I agree with SF on the point that the area needs a more diverse employment prospects as well as IKEA.

On the subject of ASDA/Walmart, I am aware that Wal Mart in the US has a terrible name on employment rights and the main reason for that is the US laws allow them to shaft their employees. Our laws are a lot different and we are increasingly being led by EU employment law. Over here in Glasgow, I do all my grocery shopping in ASDA and they are quite cheap and sell loads of other items otherthan food. Best supermarket in the UK for me.

On the subject of IKEA furniture, I really don't know what all the fuss is about. I have been there a couple of times and the only thing that I bought was some large picture frames for my movie posters.

This is also discussed in the Rip off Ireland forum.

but arcade you've repeatedly said you dislike monolopislitc (states) companies...
    i couldnt be arsed finding sources right now, these companies are monolopilistic to the nth degree, that is there business model their raison d'etre!

...the likes of WalMart, with its notorious and appalling employer record...

If you mean not allowing people to join trade unions my reply is that in return they pay their employees well (that is the experience of US companies in Ireland). I personally would be prepared to work for a company that barred union-membership if the pay was good. I'm sure there are plenty like me.
    but arcade you've repeatedly said you dislike monolopislitc (states) companies...

Tesco didn't drive Supervalu, Spar or Centra out of business. I dislike monopolies. That is what I said. I don't define IKEA or Wallmart as "monopolistic". There is no consistency in the Left on the one hand whining about "rip-off Ireland" while simultaneously conspiring, unwittingly or otherwise, in the interests of trade union power and central planning ideology, to keep things that way by denying competitors the right to enter markets. Maybe the leftwing parties wnat to keep the sources of grievance going so they can win the protest votes. :rolleyes:

If you mean not allowing people to join trade unions my reply is that in return they pay their employees well (that is the experience of US companies in Ireland). I personally would be prepared to work for a company that barred union-membership if the pay was good. I'm sure there are plenty like me.
    I thought that you're on disability benefit and don't have to work.

Redleslie2 wrote:
    I thought that you're on disability benefit and don't have to work.

Yes but I am training in the hope of getting one.

Excellent. Carry on.

no private company can ever act in monolopilistic way?

chewy wrote:
    no private company can ever act in monolopilistic way?

Well of course they can. But if the competition authorities are doing their job then that will not happen. This job entails facilitating greater competition in the Irish market, as well as preventing takeovers and mergers that undermine competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Why should a company which is setting up out of town, be entitled to tax concessions that were meant to support urban renewal, it just doesn`t make sense.

• Advertisement

Why should a company which is setting up out of town, be entitled to tax concessions that were meant to support urban renewal, it just doesn`t make sense.

Well, maybe it can be regarded as urban renewal in the sense that workers from many parts of Dublin may find jobs there.

Advertisement