Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I-pod, I-River or Creative Zen?

Options
  • 07-01-2005 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Im leaning towards Zen right now. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Dont :)

I have a Zen, GF has iPod and friend has a IRiver. IRiver is the best all round package for price and function. IPod looks the coolest but is more expensive and needs extras to do anything other then play mp3's. Zen is pretty basic TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Wigertoods

The zen may be the cheapest but features are thin on the ground.
    Ipod seems to have captured the imagination of most.(may be a marketing thing).IMO the Iriver is the real deal. :):) Video playback,colour screen and firmware upgradable.
    Got a friend to pick me up the H320 whilst on a trip to the U.S.cost 299 dollars as opposed to the 379 Euro peats charge.best investment I made last year.Only sorry I didn't go for the 40gb version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I don't know about the i-rivers (I've heard they're good) but DON'T BUY AN IPOD! I mean look at the price and the battery problems! It's ridiculus people keep buying them! They look cool but, take the mini-iPod; Looks great, nice and small but with that storage and that price? And the battery problems? No way! Thats knocked out of the list in my opinion. I have a Creative Zen Touch 20GB and it works great! Has plaenty of storage, sound quality is great and it's not TOO expensive. I hear the i-rivers are very good though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

the ipod has really really bad battery ive charged it over night and it wasnt even full >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Can open. Worms everywhere.

IPod tbh - you know you want it. Anything else ends up being described to mates as 'like an ipod but...' - and that's where you lose them.

• Advertisement

*adele* wrote:
    the ipod has really really bad battery ive charged it over night and it wasnt even full >:(
    YOUR iPod has a bad battery life, dont generalise. Any iPod iv seen has had far better battery life then any Zen iv seen and Iv seen quite a few and own both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I don't know about the i-rivers (I've heard they're good) but DON'T BUY AN IPOD! I mean look at the price and the battery problems! It's ridiculus people keep buying them! They look cool but, take the mini-iPod; Looks great, nice and small but with that storage and that price? And the battery problems? No way! Thats knocked out of the list in my opinion. I have a Creative Zen Touch 20GB and it works great! Has plaenty of storage, sound quality is great and it's not TOO expensive. I hear the i-rivers are very good though...

Check this baby out !!! iriver are leading the way by far !!

http://www.iriver.com/html/product/prpv_product.asp?pidx=61

Forget Ipod or Zen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

NoelRock wrote:
    Can open. Worms everywhere.

IPod tbh - you know you want it. Anything else ends up being described to mates as 'like an ipod but...

I believe the word you are looking for is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

definitely iriver!
    i got the h120 last monday, its charging for the first time now.
    for some reason it has a radio as well, just in case u run out of songs:P
    its also got direct mp3 encoding, so u can stick it in your hi-fi and record from it, it saves as mp3!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

having had an ipod and zen and used one of the smaller irivers quite a bit i must say ipod easily, its so much better designed n stuff......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

My brother and myself were only talking about the iRiver Fundementalist Religion a few days ago. They feel the need to spout the Good News™ of the iRiver. There is no one best, it all depends what you are looking for.

iPod
    Beautiful design, great interface and c'mon lets be honest it has the "wow" appeal that any other brand will never have. Rumours about battery life have been greatly exagerated. My friends Dad had the first iPod I ever saw, the first generation one and had it imported from America, to this day it still goes good. My brother and my father bought ones two Christmasses ago, the best ones available at the time (10 Gigs) and to this day they still hold a charge. iTunes is also a nice piece of software but there is a variety of other thirdparty software out there thats handy.

Creative Zen
    The audiophiles choice for they are regarded by many as having the best quality sound. The designs are not up there with the iPod but if its in your pocket who minds. Replacable battery incase you worry about the iPod's and good customer care. Its also cheaper so if you want good sound or you are on a budget then this is a good choice. I own one myself.

iRivers
    With the ability to play Ogg Vorbis files!!!! They are grand, they do the job and they are not too expensive. Its not the prettiest and it does not have the best audio but whatever your wallet can handle may be the case. It does have FM radio and line in which I guess is handy enough.

My next purchase will be for a Smaller HD type, 5 Gigs max. After a while with my 30GB Zen I have decided that I rarely actually listen to much of the stuff. I would prefer a smaller, dinkier one that is easier to carry and its worth the inconvenience of having to change the albums on it every couple of months or so. I also get DJ syndrome on my Zen trying to decide what track to choose which is very frustrating and so I would like less choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

D-Generate wrote:

iPod-it has the "wow" appeal that any other brand will never have.

as in wow, you actually spent 340 on that thing thats only function is to output mediocre quality sound? There are so many better units out there which cost less, why did you buy it?

it looks nice...
    iRivers
    They are grand, they do the job and they are not too expensive. Its not the prettiest
    I'd rather have the half decent looking 300 dollar whore that fuucks, and sucks all night long, could write an extended version of the karma sutra and keeps going for 16hours with every orifice open for input and output. then you have the pretty 339 whore that gives you a peck on the cheek and then runs out of energy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Rew wrote:
    YOUR iPod has a bad battery life, dont generalise. Any iPod iv seen has had far better battery life then any Zen iv seen and Iv seen quite a few and own both.

Haven't seen too many Zens then have you? One of the Zens more appealling features is that its batteries last longer then the ipod. The new Zens battery lasts 24 hours, and the iPod is only 12 hours.
    Also I do find the sound quality of the Zen to be much better then the iPod, I don't really care that its bigger then the ipod, you can't have everything huh?
    I haven't used an iRiver so I don't know about them. SO personally I think the ipod is too much a fashon then anything else.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I got an iRiver for Xmas. Great, great machine!

Zapho wrote:
    Haven't seen too many Zens then have you? One of the Zens more appealling features is that its batteries last longer then the ipod. The new Zens battery lasts 24 hours, and the iPod is only 12 hours.
    Also I do find the sound quality of the Zen to be much better then the iPod, I don't really care that its bigger then the ipod, you can't have everything huh?
    I haven't used an iRiver so I don't know about them. SO personally I think the ipod is too much a fashon then anything else.

I own a Zen as do a few people I know. My Girlfriend owns a 4g iPod and a few people I know have 3g/4g ones. My Zen is the 60gig xtra as opposed to the touch. Battery on it is not as good as the iPods.

iPod is better then any Zen iv seen, sound quality has been analised to death before and the only conclusion iv seen is that they are the same or so close as to make no diferance.

Big advantage the iPod has over my Xtra is physical size. My Zen is the size of an old walkman, the iPod is much neater and more convienet.

The touch looks good but other then seeing one I havent used it. If the battery does last 24h cool, but after owning a Zen Xtra I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy another creative disk based player.

I have used an iRiver and they probably are the best of the bunch as far as function and price go. iPod still looks better but thats down to indvidual taste (or bias as the case may be ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

rubadub wrote:
    as in wow, you actually spent 340 on that thing thats only function is to output mediocre quality sound? There are so many better units out there which cost less, why did you buy it?

I didn't get an iPod, I have a Zen 30 Gig Xtra. I regret not getting the iPod, mines just Ugly and yes thats a capital U.
    Yeah I'm superficial, yeah I will go for the pretty item and so what. Anything above 192 bit encoding is just tough to tell the difference in to the average person and anyway the majority of people use crap 'phones so they won't even hear the difference between 192 and CD-Quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The big plus about the Creative and iRivers for me is that they can record. The iPod can't do this. I prefer the drag and drop on the iRivers and its basically a portable HD reqs no drivers. Which is excellent. But the iPod has playlist and the best interface and external design. The iRivers can't recharge from USB and playback at the same time which is a pity.

Do you all insure your players?

D-Generate wrote:
    I didn't get an iPod, I have a Zen 30 Gig Xtra. I regret not getting the iPod, mines just Ugly and yes thats a capital U.
    Yeah I'm superficial, yeah I will go for the pretty item and so what. Anything above 192 bit encoding is just tough to tell the difference in to the average person and anyway the majority of people use crap 'phones so they won't even hear the difference between 192 and CD-Quality.

Fair enough. BTW I didn't mean "you" as in you personally but rather a general remark. I have no problem with people choosing the ipod solely on its looks, I just would hate people to be uninformed about other players and be pissed off afterwards when they discover what they could have got for less money.

One guy I know was well pissed off when he saw the iriver came with remote, and could record and be used as a HD. Another friend of mine thought the iriver looked better than the ipod, he heard all the extra features it had over the ipod but then replied, "yeah it might look better, but the ipod has games on it".

I got a pair of E3C earphones, the difference is amazing. Many would feel bad spending 120 on some earphones, but I listen to it at least 10 times as much as my stereo and would feel bad spending only 120 on a speaker system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:

As I said in the post before yours, I have no problem with people choosing the ipod solely on its looks.
    daveirl wrote:
    Exactly, they are purely aesthetic whereas the innards of it are not. If somebody said they bought a slower, more expensive, lower capcity hard drive with a lower user life simply because it looked nice then you would see people berate them too. But I say fair enough, if looks are that important to you go for it, I would just like them to know what else is out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

Iriver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've nothing against ipods - but i'd get (and will get) an iriver
    most people seem to get ipods because they are unaware of anyother option

chances are anyone here is going to make their decision based on more than just what they can buy, right this second, in what ever shop they are in.

having said that - iriver is for people who care more about music that how they look listening to music
    MiCr0 runs away

Each MP3 HD player has its plus and negative points. None of them is perfect and none of them are significantly better than the other. They all have different feature sets. At the moment I'd find the recording of the iRivers and the drag and drop use as a hard disk most useful. So if I was getting one I'd probably buy an iRiver. I also like the fact they have a radio and long battery life. I miss the lack of playlists and the less than slick interface.

At the moment I can't decide between the H320 and the H120.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My bf has a 40Gb Zen Touch and I have a 4g 20 Gb iPod, and if it was a competition based on ease of use, interface and looks, the iPod wins hands down. His Zen is bulky and the touch pad, and interface menus are just awkward. There are too many buttons on the side.

The downside to the iPod, as far as I'm concerned, is the awkwardness involved in getting your music off the damn thing. iTunes won't do that for you and it means downloading another program. However, the iPod can be enabled as a HDD and I use mine regularly to back up my work. Very handy.

As to the iRiver, I cannot comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I have an I-River H320 and its certainely the best mp3 player I have come across-the Ipod is atrocious while I find the Zen to be very good but if I were you I'd buy an I-River.

Using the iPod as a HD you need to have iTunes installed don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think so. The downside to the iPod, is that you are tied to iTunes with it.

If you put music on the iPod through Windows Explorer, then the iPod cannot play it. Only music downloaded through iTunes is played. There's a complete schism in the iPod. One, it's an mp3 player, and two, it's a completely separate HDD>

The point of a USB 2.0 HD is that you shouldn't need drivers to mount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

The point of a USB 2.0 HD is that you shouldn't need drivers to mount it.

Thats the thing. The Zen and the ipod can only be used for file storage, not as a mountable harddrive. It would make things much more awakward if it could be mounted cuz it would need to have a windows file system on it like fat32 or ntfs. With the Zen you can use it through explorer to manage your songs and data files which I find really hand. Its great for backing up your PC when you do a format!

I still think that for value for money, you can't go wrong with the Zen Touch 20gig. Its only €253 (komplett) and it does everything that an mp3 player should do. You may find the touch pad awakward but then again, the first time you use the wheel on the ipod, I bet you found it awakward too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

I've used both a Zen and an Ipod, and now own a Zen Touch 20 GB. The touchpad may be awkward at first (though I didn't find it so), but it is easy to set the sensitivity to what you like yourself.
    My only gripe with the Zen would be that the supplied case covers the controls. I've already recommended it to friends.

Advertisement