Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I-pod, I-River or Creative Zen?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think the biggest wow effect would come from the iRiver H3XX series. It plays videos, views photos and acts as a host device for USB devices such as the H1XX series, digital cameras and a few more things.

www.misticriver.net is where you want to go for all your info,

Someone encoded the iPod add to play on their H3XX simply to show iPod users their add on his screen;)

I don't have time to get involved in another of these arguments, but iRiver all the way, except for their damn slow firmwave upgrades.

However, I suspect they will speed up, they have Microsoft on their side now so will want to impress them and not let them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

daveirl wrote:

Not really, and then you use iTune in the same sentence :D

Basically if I'm listen to my mp3's and I'm at work or college and want to copy somefiles, backup my work etc across the to iPod, and I don't have rights to install software, I can't do it with an iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

On a computer with iTunes, you enable the iPod as a HDD drive. Afterwards it functions as such on any PC. But you do need iTunes to do the original enabling.

I use Ephpod to access the music stored on my iPod

dudara wrote:
    On a computer with iTunes, you enable the iPod as a HDD drive. Afterwards it functions as such on any PC. But you do need iTunes to do the original enabling.

I use Ephpod to access the music stored on my iPod

Ah so you can use it as a MP3 player and a HD at the same time. You don't need to switch between both settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes, but they're completely separate functions.

You can't access the music downloaded (via iTunes) through Windows explorer. On the other hand, if you store mp3 files on it via WE, the iPod can't play them.

It's two entirely separate functions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i got thr iriver h320 and got a demo model delivered... gave out and now i have a new one too which totals 2 of them and i wouldnt give either of them away.

But i must admit the DB scan function on it is a pile of crap (so i have it turned off). Im not willing to wait 120seconds+ for the thing to start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Hummm just bought this online !! its gonna kick the Zen Micro and the ipod minis socks off !!!!

http://www.iriver.com/html/campaign/h10/cah0_index.asp

D

i got thr iriver h320 and got a demo model delivered... gave out and now i have a new one too which totals 2 of them and i wouldnt give either of them away.

But i must admit the DB scan function on it is a pile of crap (so i have it turned off). Im not willing to wait 120seconds+ for the thing to start up.

The lack of decent playlists is the iRivers only draw back.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LSLFAN

D-Generate wrote:
    My next purchase will be for a Smaller HD type, 5 Gigs max. After a while with my 30GB Zen I have decided that I rarely actually listen to much of the stuff. I would prefer a smaller, dinkier one that is easier to carry and its worth the inconvenience of having to change the albums on it every couple of months or so. I also get DJ syndrome on my Zen trying to decide what track to choose which is very frustrating and so I would like less choice.

D-Generate, I recently purchased a Creative Zen Micro 5g having moved from a Sony Net MD. Looked at a lot of players but did not feel that I needed 20g or more for many of the reasons you have stated above. I really wanted something small that I could listen to while travelling to work on the DART. Having loaded up my favourite CDs and various other favourite tracks, I still have 2.5 g left for future use.

Its a fabulous player, looks really cool, has loads of features including a radio and a pulsating blue backlight (looks great in the dark tunnels on the line from Greystones to Bray!!!).

Replaced the supplied earphones with Sennheiser MX550s and am delighted with the sound quality.

Hope this helps in your quest for the ultimate player.

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    Hummm just bought this online !! its gonna kick the Zen Micro and the ipod minis socks off !!!!

http://www.iriver.com/html/campaign/h10/cah0_index.asp

D

where did you order it from/

cormie wrote:
    where did you order it from/

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/

but they are not out until FEb week1 :-)

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

No one has yet mentioned the new(ish) iPod shuffle - It's pretty sweet for a budget mp3 player (E99 for the 512mb). The premise behind it is a bit stupid but it looks good.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodshuffle/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

I'd go for a creative personally. Although the Zen and Zen xtra and even Nx xtra were poor - large footprint, heavy and flimsy casing/cover they would still be my choice. I have an older Jukebox 3 which is a beast of a machine but I love it and it has great features. The new touch seems to be a very decent player, a few of my friends have them and they seem fine. One mate has an I-river (40gig with colour screen, line in/out etc.) and the only fault he has, which would be a major one for me, is that he is unable to add items to the "now playing" list. He isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer so maybe this is possible. I also don't like the i-pod for this reason, it is possible but in a very round-about way. The i-pod wrecks my head when going through a big library - when you get to "z"ou can't keep going to get to "a" you have to go all the way back up! That aside they can't be beat for size or weight. Still overall I'd go with Creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

A big thing for me Album play. I want to be able to play a whole album as if I were listening to CD without a secounds gap between tracks. I presume all modern MP3 player do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

any thoughts on the h10 from iriver?

MiCr0 wrote:
    any thoughts on the h10 from iriver?

Lots of thought !!! Like when is mine going to be delivered and why did I spent €280 on one !!! They are not out until Feb and expected in Ireland 3G in March or April.

Buy it looks fantastic sync with Media player and can be used a mobile hard drive, and encodes mp3 up to 320. Zen only goes up to 192.

I think it will wash the floor of Zen and ipod Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

where did you get it for 280?
    (i like the option of getting it for 210€ via the usa)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

The h10 looks class.You can buy them off www.mx2.co.uk and They are cheaper then this site

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/

But could anyone tell me when these new ipod shuffles are going to be out?

You wont get it for €210 off the us site. Only if you go to the USA, pick it up and bring it back home. If you get it delivered to Ireland you have delivery on top of that (probably €20) and then you have import tax (21% of 210=€44ish) so that's €274 in total when you can get it for about €270 off www.mx2.co.uk :)

oneofakind, gapless is on allot of players, not on iRiver yet though.

lad12, I wouldn't bother witht he ipod shuffle. It's just another flash player and I don't know anything about them, but I'm guessing there are plenty out there better. iRiver has one with a built in digital camera and photo viewer ;)

Be aware though, the H10 has some terrible drawbacks, it seems iRiver are getting worse than better!

an example of this is to record with line in, it needs to be in its dock.
    I *think* it will only run from Windows XP
    No OGG support as of yet.
    check here for full list

a few more too. The best place to talk about iRiver is www.misticriver.net loads of folks there who know more than enough. Probably slightly iRiver biassed but they will be honest.

This is getting off topic (these suggestions are too expensive) but I would either go for this or the iRiver H340!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Would you consider an ARCHOS 4-series?

MP3, DivX/XviD play & record, jpeg display, portable HDD, USB 2.0 / Firewire / CF+1 connectivity, upgradable firmware, etc, etc.

Got mine 3 months ago, we're now siamese :D

I think were all getting off topic here, he's a student and can't afford a dear player.

Go with the H10 over any other <=5gb model I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Check ebay when it is released for US guys who will sell it and mark it cheap so you pay no duty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

A big thing for me Album play. I want to be able to play a whole album as if I were listening to CD without a secounds gap between tracks. I presume all modern MP3 player do this?

To my knowledge the only player with gapless playback is the 20GB Rio Karma. I could well be wrong though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

D-Generate wrote:
    iRivers
    With the ability to play Ogg Vorbis files!!!! They are grand, they do the job and they are not too expensive. Its not the prettiest and it does not have the best audio but whatever your wallet can handle may be the case. It does have FM radio and line in which I guess is handy enough.

I have an iriver , friends have ipods and zens...even they agree that the sound quality is better on the iriver...dont know where you got that from ? you seem to think the main selling point is that its cheap ? Even if they were more xpensive they would be a better buy.
    Felixdhc wrote:
    To my knowledge the only player with gapless playback is the 20GB Rio Karma. I could well be wrong though:)

The iriver H series has gapless playback ( when you get the firmware )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

find me somthing with gapless and 5Gb or more for €250 and Ill buy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Find it yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

To me, the Creative Zen Micro looks good except the memory and battery life look a bit small. I must admit the main thing that attracts me to it is that it comes in pretty colours. :o

I want an mp3 player where
    (a) I can use Windows Media Player to get songs from my CDs to my MP3 player.
    (b) I have enough memory to store thousands of songs/the odd concert (I find WMA quality to be grand, however it's the only one I know).
    (c) The player must be easy to use and a decent size.
    (d) Must have radio and recording facilities as standard (i.e., I don't have to buy anything extra).
    (e) Good battery life.
    (f) Preferably, the player must either come in different colours or there must be coloured covers available.
    (g) Decent price.

I think the Creative Zen Micro should cover my needs?

Amazon are selling the Zen Touch and the Zen Micro for the same price. The thing I don't like about the Touch is that it's bigger and I don't like the colour, and you have to buy something extra for radio. But it's memory and battery look cool.

Advertisement