Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest 6230 out there?

Options
  • 07-01-2005 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya

I'm looking for a 6230 (brand new, warrenty intact etc) and I'm trying to find the cheapest place to buy it.

Currently I've got the following prices, if anyone knows any better could you post and lemme know?

E300 - http://www.mphone.co.uk/acatalog/6230_sim_free.html, sim-free, plus delivery costs, warrenty?
    E349 - Meteor Prepaid - http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/nokia_6230.html
    E379 - 3G Shop, sim-free
    E559 - 3G Shop, O2 Contact, E79 for phone, E40 pm rental x 12 months

I should also mention that I currently have a Voda Prepaid sim.

Comments

Meteor have them for €349 on prepaid, which you could then unlock, but I don't know if the software is branded or not.

EDIT: I've heard reports that Meteor don't even lock their high-end Nokia phones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Cheers for that, I've added it to the list in my first post. I didn't realise they could be gotten on Prepaid at all.

Any reductions on these prices? Any sales or bargains anywhere on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 weebrat

I got my 6230 for 49euro just before Christmas, you had to sign up for O2 twenty+ contract (45euro/month). From Carphone Warehouse. They were advertising it for 99 but selling it for 49 bizarrely. Usually the other way around!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

planetmicro

• Advertisement

weebrat - that works out at ((40 x 12) + 50)... that works out more then simfree in a year mate :( Thanks though :)

lomb - planetmicro? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bill_N

€335 at phonesonline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr-X

dont forget meteor comes with 80e worth of credit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Bill_N

Mr-X wrote: dont forget meteor comes with 80e worth of credit
    But ciaranfo is on Vodafone which means it'll be locked to Meteor

• Advertisement

Apparently Meteor high-end phones come unlocked Bill_N. But you're right, the E80 would be useless to me as I'm putting my Voda sim into it.

As it happens, I've managed to come to a deal with someone anyway.

Cheers for the advice and comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Got my 6230 free from O2 on saturday when I ported over from vodafone. I'm on their €45/month plan which includes one free add-on. They also gave me €40 extra call credit for the first 3 months, a car charger and a bluetooth headset!

The bad news is that the offer is now over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

weebrat wrote:
    I got my 6230 for 49euro just before Christmas, you had to sign up for O2 twenty+ contract (45euro/month). From Carphone Warehouse. They were advertising it for 99 but selling it for 49 bizarrely. Usually the other way around!

O2 wouldn't let CPW advertise it for less than e99. We get that quite a bit from O2. But once you're inside you can avail of the proper CPW prices. They also don't like CPW advertising free phones. Vodafone aren't so picky.
    Yeah CPW were 'selling' the 6230 free on an O2 FTC to 20+ on Saturday and Sunday only. It wasn't advertised as it was a spur of the moment thing so not many people knew about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

apparently its on ready to go now for €299 with €80 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Stekelly wrote:
    apparently its on ready to go now for €299 with €80 credit.
    Yes Ste beat me to it. €299 Ready to Go (€10 credit per month for 8 months included)

v10 wrote:
    Yes Ste beat me to it. €299 Ready to Go (€10 credit per month for 8 months included)

Are vodafone changing this for all rtg phones? I much prefer the €80 all in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Dont bother gettin the 6230. wait about a month or so and get the 6230i which was just announced by nokia yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Orange UK did have 6230s on their pay as you go tarrif on their online shop for £169 ~ €245-250 though they are out of stock at the moment. Dont' know if they would ship to the Republic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

there couldnt be much more features on the i model the fone has a lot on it already
    mabye its got a bigger internal memory/ do you have a link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Eh www.nokia.com It has more internal memory a 1.3 mega pixel camera and a screen with higher resolution it should be out by the end of the month for about €400.
    or wait for one of the 2 new SE phones they will have 2 megapixel cameras and much more. www.sonyericsson.com

Orange UK did have 6230s on their pay as you go tarrif on their online shop for £169 ~ €245-250 though they are out of stock at the moment. Dont' know if they would ship to the Republic though.

Thats pointless, you may as well pay an extra €50 and get it on Vodafone payg here with €80 of useable credit.

The 6230i also seems to have a USB connection (from the way I read it I'd imagine a mini-USB) which would be a dam nice feature...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Stekelly wrote:
    Thats pointless, you may as well pay an extra €50 and get it on Vodafone payg here with €80 of useable credit.
    Not necessarily pointless, I'm just relaying the price for what it is if you're thinking of upgrading the handset and keep your own sim. 6230s are easy enough to unlock with the right calculator.

Incidently "The Link" also have it for £169 on Orange in the UK but since they don't deliver outside of the UK, that is pointless! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

the new 6230i is out soon so buying a 6230 might be a waste of money check out its new features here http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,69498,00.html

not true you still need the dku-2 cable i think the cable will now be plug and play you can see the pics of the phone in the above link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

ciaranfo wrote:
    Apparently Meteor high-end phones come unlocked Bill_N. But you're right, the E80 would be useless to me as I'm putting my Voda sim into it.
    In the past this was true, but in the past year, you will be very lucky to find one not locked.

Meteor do not brand firmware in general. The worst ive seen is just the Meteor tune on start-up which can easily be replaced/disabled on most phones.

I would never buy a Vodafone phone, purely due to the branding. I have an Orange T610 myself which has some branding, but does not change the majority of menu functions - I have tried using a Voda T610 and felt like smashing it within 30seconds of using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Damn,

I just bought a 6230 in Madrid for 299 last week and now I find out there is a new 6230i coming out :mad: anyway I'm happy enough with the phone, was tempted to change brands but always liked the nokia operating system

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

the new 6230i is out soon so buying a 6230 might be a waste of money check out its new features here http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,69498,00.html

Anyone know when this hits the shops?

• Advertisement

i signed up to the product update feature in expansys to be told when it comes into stock i recon that will be when they hit the shops http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=119374 (release updates textbox and press enter)

Advertisement