Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley - Liverpool "The Battle of Turf Moor!" (scores)

• 07-01-2005 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So now the third round begins on a week day whats the world comming to?

Anyways the opening salvo could be one of the more interesting as the Yorkshire scruffs who are mid-table in Division 1 look to barge thier way past the more er, cultured play of Liverpool.

The weather looks like being bloody awful with heavy rain in a driving gale. ie the sort of conditions that will suit Burnely alot more than Luis Garcia!

The liverpool squad - Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Hamann, Riise, Sinama-Pongolle, Mellor, Baros (?), Harrison, Whitbread, Raven, Welsh, Warnock, Diao, Nunez.

I'd say the younsters will get thier run out with big guns bench warming unless really needed.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

No matter what team is put out, I think Liverpool will win this one 2-0. Burnley are strong at home, but I dont think this ground will be as intimidating as some of the smaller nationwide league teams.

Nice to have Friday night football too, an excuse to get out early. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If there's any more rain, this game is going to be called off.

Maybe it's the Gods Of Football telling us that the FA Cup shouldn't be played on a Friday.

Or maybe it's just the middle of January and it usually rains like feic in the Northwest of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Game isn't gonna happen by all accounts. Baros isn't in the squad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

BolBill wrote:
    Game isn't gonna happen by all accounts. Baros isn't in the squad either.

It's going ahead alright, they've had the pitch covered overnight:

From Liverpoolfc.tv:

TURF MOOR TIE GIVEN THE GO AHEAD

Liverpool's FA Cup third round tie with Burnley at Turf Moor on Friday evening is set to go ahead, contrary to reports that it may fall foul of the wet weather that is currently lashing the region.
    Supporters who are attending the game are advised to arrive earlier than normal, as there will be a near capacity crowd in attendance.

The match is strictly all ticket and there will be no cash turnstiles on the evening, so supporters who want to attend are advised to get their tickets in advance.

The pitch is playable and the ground staff have been preparing it all week ahead of the game.

Covers have been on the pitch overnight and will remain in place until 6.00pm on Friday.

It also looks like Rafa is taking a similar approach to the Carling cup with regards to the squad, a lot of youth in there. He also might be resting Gerrard too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Wonder will the FA apply the full letter of the law if as looks likely they field a weakened team.

• Advertisement

kida wrote:
    Wonder will the FA apply the full letter of the law if as looks likely they field a weakened team.

In his pre-match press conference Rafa mentioned that some people thought he didn't take the Carling cup seriously, but he re-iterated that they are playing in four competitions and they need to use all of the available squad members including reserves. I'd rather see a fairly strong team played tonight, but with the injuries to key players that Liverpool have they've no choice but to rest certain players really.

BTW Kida, you really hate Liverpool don't you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I wouldnt be so confident of an overwhelming Liverpool win, conditions are going to be terrible and will even things up a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

kida wrote:

why would they? Bolton do it every year !!!!!!!
    Big sam knows all the money to be made is in staying in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

BolBill wrote:
    why would they? Bolton do it every year !!!!!!!
    Big sam knows all the money to be made is in staying in the Premiership.
    I don't think Man U cared about how much money there was to be gained in the FA cup. Winning the FA cup means a lot in football for the time being at least (although nowhere near as much as it used to).

Burnley are doing well in recent matches, they've won their last 4 home games against Wigan, Preston, Millwall, and Forest without conceding a goal. They also won away to Stoke in their last league match (again keeping a clean sheet) and are 4th in the form charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was listening to BBC Radio 1 news and they say the pitch althou playable isnt the best....as the presentor asked the Burnley Chairman what happen is Pongelle takes a run from midfield at speed will the ball get stuck on the surface?

Answer: It might, but we dont want Pongelle doing that anyway

Classic!!

• Advertisement

Burnley are 11/2 with Paddy Power, if they didn't sell Blake to Birmingham this week I would be putting very high stakes on that. Can't see them scoring many without Blake though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Aye, I'd feel the same eirebhoy. Hard to see where the goals will flow from now, but I'm hoping they do it! The girlfirends mom is like the only Burnley fan in the country, and loved it when they destroyed my precious Villa, here's hoping they can do it to another prem team so I amn't so ashamed! :D Hehe.

Dudek
    Raven
    Whitbread
    Biscan
    Traore
    Nunez
    Daio
    Welsh
    Potter
    Mellor
    Pongolle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats about what I expected. Diao not good news though, hope Hamann is on the bench.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Is Partridge injured/not in first 11/not in squad , at the moment ?

Benitez doesn't seem to rate Partridge even though the reserve coach never stops raving about him. Still, should be good to see Potter in the centre.

edit - is that the confirmed team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mike65 wrote:
    So now the third round begins on a week day whats the world comming to?
    Just in case anyone is wondering about the Friday night thing. This is the only live match SKY have in this round of the Cup and it seems they like Friday nights. The new TV rights deal for the FA Cup (up to and including the 2008 Final) sees the Beeb with very much the upperhand — they get first, third, and fourth match pick, i.e. 3 live matches plus a replay live (from 3rd Round to 6th Round). Sky get second choice. They'll each get a Semi live (Beeb first pick) and both get the Final live.

Yep, thats the starting 11. Dunno about the bench.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Apparently Richie Partridge underwent a scan this week and an amount of residual cartlidge tissue and bone around his knee was discovered. Probably needs an operation to repair the problem.

The decision to whether the game will go ahead will be taken at 6.45.

• Advertisement

The game is on....but who knows, if the rain continues it may get abandoned.

EDIT Its off! Last minute decision by the ref. Sh1te....

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Any mention of when it could be rescheduled for? The Carling Cup Semi with Watford next week means it can't be too soon.

It'll be re-scheduled for the replay date almost certainly. I think thats Wednesday two weeks, ie 12 days.

Mike.

Its down for the 18th apparently. I hear its currently 2-1 to Liverpool in the Water Polo!

Bump! Tonights rearranged game is apparently still on though the pitch is brutal. No Gerrard, no Finnan, no Morientes as he was'nt a Liverpool player
    for the date. So the youngsters Raven, Whitbread, Warnock, Potter, Welsh are going to have to do alot of the work.

Dont fancy our chances, unless the strikers are really on form.

Mike.

The game is still in doubht.. one good heavy shower of rain and the pitch wont take anymore. Will be a very tough game for the youngsters tonight, hopefully can scrape a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Whats the story with this game is it on/off? score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Scoreless at half time - not too bad considering the team on the pitch...

Team is:

1. Jerzy Dudek
    31. David Raven
    4. Sami Hyypia
    37. Zak Whitbread
    21. Djimi Traore
    18. Antonio Nunez
    25. Igor Biscan
    32. John Welsh
    34. Darren Potter
    28. Stephen Warnock
    24. Florent Sinama Pongolle

subs:
    5. Milan Baros
    33. Neil Mellor
    36. Jon Otsemobor
    40. Paul Harrison (GK)
    41. Mark Smyth

• Advertisement

Possession:
    Burnley 75%
    Liverpool 25%

Shots:
    Burnley 5
    Liverpool 4

Corners:
    Burnley 7
    Liverpool 1

Fouls:
    Burnley 4
    Liverpool 5

Bookings:
    Burnley 0
    Liverpool 0

Pityfull performance, even worse than the boards server.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

are burnley this weeks exeter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1-0 Burnley.

oh dear!! :D

Bring back old Hoo-Hoo - can't remember him having a result like this!! :rolleyes:

Red Card Nunez :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kida wrote:
    oh dear!! :D

Bring back old Hoo-Hoo - can't remember him having a result like this!! :rolleyes:
    Enjoying yourself? ;)

Astonishing, everything is wrong - everything. Do Liverpool think just turning up is enough? Nunez will have to go in the summer with Josemi. Does Rafa want to loose this and concentrate on The Carling Cup? Okay if so he should say it. But then that might bring the FA down on him...

Mike.

Looks like Burnley have done it , and without Robbie Blake :eek: . Traore with an Own Goal , for anyone wondering who scored .

OMG I don't believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Well done Burnley, great advertisement for the Championship

Not sure if it’s arrogance or stupidity but I can’t believe that Benitez played a weakened team on a cold January night at somewhere like Burnley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

1-0 FT

Nunez sent off in 87 min

I'm guessing RB doesn't place too high an importance on this tournament - too late now...

d22ontour wrote:
    are burnley this weeks exeter :D
    There's a big difference between Exeter and Burnley. :) Actually, this is less of an upset than Villa and Man City IMO considering the teams put out.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Burnley are 11/2 with Paddy Power, if they didn't sell Blake to Birmingham this week I would be putting very high stakes on that. Can't see them scoring many without Blake though.
    Pity I didn't put that on. Thats actually 100% correct though, they needed a Pool player to score for them. :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

That was disgracefull . :mad:

Did Rafa not give a damn about the FA cup ..

If we loose on saturday , I'm putting a price on his head . :rolleyes:

i guess liverpool must be concentrating on that inter toto place

d22ontour wrote:
    i guess liverpool must be concentrating on that inter toto place

aren't you a Man United fan :p .

sharkman wrote:
    -

If we loose on saturday , I'm putting a price on his head . :rolleyes:

Don't pitch it too high.

whatever makes you think that :rolleyes:

Oh man, that was disgraceful. I'd like to ask Traore one question - just what the fcuk was he trying to do in the six yard box with that ball?! It was comical, one of the worst own goals I've ever seen :) I just hope he gets the bollocking of a lifetime, he can never just play it simple.

Fair play to Burnley, they totally deserved it. Liverpool got what they deserved from the game - absolutely nothing. If there's one positive to be taken from the early exit, it's that there's less games to be played and less chance of more injuries. That's about it though, I can't pick out one player who performed well...you have to laugh though :o

/edit - Oh and Nunez deserved to go, complete stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

**** me batman, I didnt watch this because I thought it'd be a walkover, looking at the team sheet I'm not suprised, but nice to see liverpool go out :)
    Burnly are 5 points off the playoffs in the championship, not a **** team at all at all.

On the plus side for the scousers, maybe Utd will go out :)

On a real positive, Benitez by playing his young players is showing his intentions to develop a tradition and a strong basework for a long haul at the club, something which should be appluaded and encouraged

• Advertisement
Advertisement