Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burnley - Liverpool "The Battle of Turf Moor!" (scores)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The Muppet wrote:
    Fergies stated opinion at the time was that if they couldn't field their strongest team they should not participate.

Vs Exeter anyone? Funny really isn't it, whatever suits at the time (Ferguson, not you The Muppet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Uberwolf: The players that played Exeter really should have won.. the team benitez put out never really looked like beating Burnley. Ferguson put out a near full strength squad in the next match. If he didnt care (like benitez) then the same team would have played again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

far from utds strongest team.

but ok, lets say this is *cough* utds strongest team *cough* so what about all the other cup games where he has put out youth or weakend teams.

doesnt that go exatly against what was quoted earlier by uberwolf?

i mean come one, you really actually cant be right all the time, even if you are manchester utd, the football club from which all glorious light shall shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

uberwolf wrote:
    Champs League place has prestige. More so than FA cup. All the players would tell you that.

Sure the history/tradition is worth maintaining but the CL has a prestige, a name in history quality than a premiership side winning the FA cup. A lower league side winning it is great. Premiership side - meh.

It says something about the quality of the league and the way the CL is structered when teams like Liverpool are aspiring to finish 4th.

The whole premiership (and other European leagues) has to be looked at top to bottom and radcialy restructered with salary caps and revenue sharing to make it a more equitable, more interesting league.
    And the CL should then revert to a champions only competition.

I am aware that pigs will fly before any of the above happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Uberwolf: The players that played Exeter really should have won.. the team benitez put out never really looked like beating Burnley. Ferguson put out a near full strength squad in the next match. If he didnt care (like benitez) then the same team would have played again.

Both Utd and Liverpool fielded weakened teams. Utd got lucky at home against a conference team, Liverpool were unlucky away against a championship team. Take the red glasses off. That liverpool team (the weakened one had beaten two premiership sides on the way to the LC semi as well.)

Yes it does say something about LFC decline that they aren't challenging on all fronts. They do have the smallest squad in the premiership. They have also suffered major injuries to virtually every player in teh first eleven this season which realy compounds that problem. Pragmatically football is a business, to attract the quality players to progress this liverpool side needs to be in the CL next season, not defending the FA cup. It's really that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'll be glad when this period blows over, Alonso gets fit again and Morientes loses the rust. By all accounts Liverpool were bad against Burnley and Bournemouth have every right to be peeved. The team selection was bad and then the players on the pitch put in a poor performance also so I'll be quite happy to let this one fall into the large amnesiac part of my brain...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

uberwolf wrote:
    Both Utd and Liverpool fielded weakened teams. Utd got lucky at home against a conference team, Liverpool were unlucky away against a championship team. Take the red glasses off. That liverpool team (the weakened one had beaten two premiership sides on the way to the LC semi as well.)
    I wouldn't say that United were lucky tbh, however a draw was a fair result. I wouldn't say that Liverpool were unlucky either, they didn't play well enough to draw which is a fact.

The United team that was out against Exeter at OT was also a side that beat two Premiership teams (Arsenal and Palace) on the way to the LC semi-final. I think what Peter Schmeichel said on Wednesday night was spot on. Ferguson puts out a team that he honestly believes will win in every match. Which is why he was so disappionted at the Exeter result at home, that he left alot of those players out against Chelsea and Exeter and fielded a stronger team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    woeful result for liverpool. disgraceful own goal. not acceptable at this level. i thought liverpool had past the 'gerrard houllier stage', obviously not. whilst performances have improved, results have not.

this will sicken liverpool fans as it was their only REAL chance of major silverware (no, the league cup doesnt count). listening to benetiz he "doesnt regret not fielding a stronger side". he doesnt seem to understand the importance of this cup and certainly has disrespected it by his after match interview.

thats complete ****e.

liverpool layed a RESERVE team against burnely, i dont see how you can say because of the reserve team performance they havent moved on from the gerrard houllier stage.

did fergie understand the importance of this cup when hes feilded a reserve team against exeter?

i am very disappointed by the performance, brutal is the word. Hyypia was woeful. I have to say i aint too disappointed about the result, 4th place is a priority and the FA means **** in comparison.

Sure gerrard said he didnt want to be in the UEFA cup because he had already won it, i am sure he is disappointed with going out but doubt it will make any difference in deciding his liverpool future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Imposter wrote:
    I know this has been discussed before but there was a lot of pressure on Man Utd to do that from both the FA and the government, so I think it's wrong of you just ot blame Utd for that.
    Yes, I think all involved were delighted that United represented the English game in Brazil that year :D

There's a lot of foreign managers in the game at the moment and if they are to look at the simple math of the situation Premier League = more money, 4 spots in CL and more places in UEFA, FA Cup = less money and 1 UEFA Cup spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Why don't the FA give the FA cup winners a Cl place and let 4th place go into the EUFA cup. It would benefit the cup hughly IMO. I don,t believe 3rd or 4th place deserve a CL place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Muppet wrote:
    Why dont the FA give teh FA cup winners a Cl place and let 4th place go into the EUFA cup. It would benefit the cup hughly IMO. I don,t believe 3rd or 4th place deserve a CL place.
    I definitely think 4th place deserves it more than the cup winner. As I said in another thread, I don't think a team deserves £10m+ for winning 6 matches. While it might benefit the cup hugely it wouldn't benefit the league. The big 3 would just create a bigger and bigger gap ahead of the rest of the teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Muppet wrote:
    Why don't the FA give the FA cup winners a Cl place and let 4th place go into the EUFA cup. It would benefit the cup hughly IMO. I don,t believe 3rd or 4th place deserve a CL place.

so if united finsih third this season, and they decide to scrap the idea of 3rd and 4th positions for CL places you would be happy with that?

also, having it in the league leaves out a team being lucky with the draw. for example if a team like fulham managed to get a handy draw and first divisions team till the semi's or even final and won it everyone would be raging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

It seems to me that Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool qualify for the CL anyway.

Brian017 wrote:
    It seems to me that Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool qualify for the CL anyway.
    qualified, not qualify. Spurs are catching up with Liverpool, not in terms of position but in terms of squad strength.

I mean qualify as in year after year.

Brian017 wrote:
    I mean qualify as in year after year.
    and I corrected you, Liverpool didn't qualify last season. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

so if united finsih third this season, and they decide to scrap the idea of 3rd and 4th positions for CL places you would be happy with that?

I would.

also, having it in the league leaves out a team being lucky with the draw. for example if a team like fulham managed to get a handy draw and first divisions team till the semi's or even final and won it everyone would be raging.

I wouldn't.

eirebhoy wrote:
    and I corrected you, Liverpool didn't qualify last season. :)
    You know what I mean. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

por wrote:
    It says something about the quality of the league and the way the CL is structered when teams like Liverpool are aspiring to finish 4th.

The whole premiership (and other European leagues) has to be looked at top to bottom and radcialy restructered with salary caps and revenue sharing to make it a more equitable, more interesting league.
    And the CL should then revert to a champions only competition.

I am aware that pigs will fly before any of the above happens.

good as long as you know pigs will fly
    will you want the back pass rule quashed as well
    how does putting salery caps do anything do you want everton,boro,charlton and liverpool in the champions league
    the name might be wrong but any team who has won it since it converted to 2,3 and 4 teams from 1 league entering are worthy winners because you have to beat the very best teams in europe not just 1 or 2 if the draw favours you like the old days

• Advertisement
Advertisement