Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to play import PS2 games?

Options
  • 07-01-2005 2:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I've pretty much given up on my Swap Card, switching discs constantly is annoying and compatibility is very hit and miss, the two games I very specifically got it for, Suikoden 3 needed a CD-R and four discs to be swapped before it worked, and Xenosaga just didn't work, period. I've considered buying MGS3 and GT4 from abroad to get them that bit earlier, but the amount of effort involved in trying to get the things running just isn't worth it. With other big games in the future though I really want to have the option of importing open.

So what would people recommend? Is there any other option before chipping? I really don't want to send my beloved PS2 off to some seedy workshop. And if I absolutely must go the chipping route(btw correct me if I'm wrong, I read the charter and it says it's ok to talk about chipping consoles), is there anywhere that I can actually go and get it done while I'm there. I just can't trust a business that I know probably get most of their trade thanks to piracy with my PS2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

At this stage, nabbing an import PS2 console might be a good idea. You'd probably pick up a pretty cheap NTSC US machine on Ebay.
    Tbh Katamari Damacy looks really tempting...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wouldn't get a second hand machine. The laser on old PS2's can be very dodgy. Your best bet is to get the PS2 chipped. Haven't had any problems with any games with my messiah 2 chip. Suikoden 3 and Xenosaga both worked fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I have swap magic and MGS3 and I have no problem to make sure each disk loads go to www.swapmagigfix.com then click on the link for PS2OWNZ and in that site look for DVD loader and you will never have a hassle playing imports with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Yea I've used swap magic fix for Suikoden 3, but its too much hassle for my liking(Swap Magic CD followed by CDR followed by Swap Magic DVD followed by real disc ugh). Some games(such as Xenosaga which I've still never played) just don't work at all.
    I'll have a look round at NTSC consoles, to be honest I feel the PS2 is a bit old for that, I'd seriously consider getting an American PS3 right off the bat though and never bother with European games. Chipping is probably the way to go, has anyone done it DIY? My main issue is sending my PS2 away, I'd like to avoid that if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

xenosaga being a dvd9 wont work, same dealio with gt4 :\

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

I didn't do it but my freind put this mod chip into his machine on his own and it virtually sings, dances and washes the dishes for you. No swapping or anything required and you can just download games from the net, burn them to disc and your laughing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to install a decent modchip yourself i'd advise against it unless you are extremely skilled with at microsoldering. One slip and you will get solder on one of many of the most important chips for the PS2 that are conveniently located around the area where the chip goes.

The 3.1 magic chip is new and could be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well I built my PC myself but then PCs are designed for people to be able to do that, I certainly didn't have to do any soldering or anything. So maybe thats a no no.

Did u chip it yourself retro?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Got sick of swap magic so I ordered a us ps2 from http://www.videogamesplus.ca. You can get a new small PS2 there for 120 euro!

• Advertisement
Advertisement