Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on two cars?

Options
  • 07-01-2005 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Recently my mother changed her Punto for a Polo (bought 2nd hand privately) but we haven't sold the Punto yet. I'm a named driver on her policy (22yr old, male, full licence) and use the Polo to get to college (40 mile round trip)

As the Punto is just sitting there, we thought we'd get the Punto insured again, just in her name so she has a car while I'm at college.

Is it possible to have two cars insured in one person's name? and has anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Yes it is possible, it is not uncommon here as many parents get a second policy for their offspring to cut the cost of premiums. Just don't explicitly tell the insurance co. that one car will be mainly used by someone other than the policyholder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Yeh thats how i'm driving, but, you can only have (presumably your mother's) NCB's on one car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

John R wrote:
    Yes it is possible, it is not uncommon here as many parents get a second policy for their offspring to cut the cost of premiums. Just don't explicitly tell the insurance co. that one car will be mainly used by someone other than the policyholder.
    Unless I missed a meeting, this is incorrect. The way most people do it is to have each parent insure one car and put the kids on the cheapest car with the smallest engine - mom usually pulls the short straw and spends her time taking buses.

Only one car can be insured per person, and if a named driver uses the policy it only covers the person driving. The example in law would be to consider the consequences if you were to crash into your mother, and you were both on her policy.

More importantly, if you are driving your mothers car and she is driving another car without being a named driver on it, you are uninsured. Be really careful, on a recent TV prog regarding Irish District Courts, several people were banned after being caught for this type of offence.

My suggestion is to get someone else (father/uncle/elder sibling) to insure the Punto and put your mother as a named driver, ensuring both of you are covered at the same time.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Interceptor, a person can insure as many vehicles as they like in their own name at the same time. I can insure two cars (both with the same company or with two different companies) have my mother named on one of them and then crash my second car into the car she was driving. If both cars are insured by the same compnay they will just have to pay out for everything in the same way as if two strangers hit each other and they were both with the same company. As regards NCBs, if I have two policies I will have two NCBs. If the cars are involved in a coliision I will lose all or part of one or both NCBs depending on the circumstances of the accident, fault etc.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I'm not sure about the two NCBs Brian - this has always been a grey area when this has been discussed on boards before. We know for certain that your existing NCB is not carried over to the second policy on the second car. We don't know if you can actually accumulate NCB on the second policy.

Anybody out there have two policys and/or be able to clear this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

BrianD3 wrote:
    Interceptor, a person can insure as many vehicles as they like in their own name at the same time. I can insure two cars (both with the same company or with two different companies) have my mother named on one of them and then crash my second car into the car she was driving. If both cars are insured by the same compnay they will just have to pay out for everything in the same way as if two strangers hit each other and they were both with the same company. As regards NCBs, if I have two policies I will have two NCBs. If the cars are involved in a coliision I will lose all or part of one or both NCBs depending on the circumstances of the accident, fault etc.

BrianD3
    Well it appears I have been mis-informed. I rang my broker - who told me I couldn't do this several months back and now they tell me that I can insure another car but I have to start a fresh insurance record for it. I didn't ask if I could crash them into each other though. Disregard previous post...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm not sure about the two NCBs Brian - this has always been a grey area when this has been discussed on boards before. We know for certain that your existing NCB is not carried over to the second policy on the second car. We don't know if you can actually accumulate NCB on the second policy.
    [edit]edited out the bit about my own NCD as I'm not at all sure why I'm getting a good price and I'm not going to question it :) It may be because of an NCD or there may be some other factor Eg the fact that I have 2 policies neither of which have any named drivers so only one of my cars is at risk of an accident at any given time as I can't be in two places at once :)

Anyhow it is definitely possible to have two separate NCDs from two different companies as I enquired about that before. However you cannot have two policies for the same vehicle as then you could claim twice in the event of a crash and that would be regarded as fraud AFAIK

Clear as mud? :)

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Well it appears I have been mis-informed. I rang my broker - who told me I couldn't do this several months back and now they tell me that I can insure another car but I have to start a fresh insurance record for it. I didn't ask if I could crash them into each other though. Disregard previous post...

'c

funny i was told the same thing 8 months ago as urself . but have not asked if i could get insured in a second car ...

im guessing it would be pritty dam expensive to do both tho

Advertisement