Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

graphics card problem

• 07-01-2005 7:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

HI
    I just built a new computer with an asus motherboard and P4 2.4 chip.
    i then got an ati radeon 32mb agp card but i couldnt get any picture on my old monitor which happens to be a hp pavilion mx50 (if that matters)
    so i thought it may be a graphics card fault and brought it back to exchange it for a pci radeon 64mb graphics card and i am still having problems.

it still remains in standby as if i havent connected the monitor to the graphics card but all is connected.
    when trying with my old hp computer the graphics card does turn on the monitor but sometimes it remains black after the windows xp logo pops up and sometimes it shows me windows, however, it will not operate at all with the new pc with the asus MB and the p4 chip.

has anyone had these problems before or offer me some guidence please?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

I had a similar problem with an AGP card i bought. i took the card out and inserted it a few times before it worked, seem like it was a bad connection, it was a bit messy but i got it to work in the end. Maybe you have a similar problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

thanks, but i'm not sure. i tried taking it out and putting it in a few times and i have tries an agp card and now a pci card but still no luck.
    could it be possible that the motherboard is just faulty does anyone think?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

do you have any other machine to test you monitor on?

no, thats the problem, i dont think i do. its in my girlfriend's apartment so it would be a pain to bring to some1 else's place etc to check it, but i'll see if i can.
    is it possible that it is the monitor that is the problem?
    it is working fine at the moment with her old computer (which had onboard graphics, so no graphics card issues) but surely its not possible that they program a monitor not to work with other computers or anything, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

I had a similar problem once (refused to boot flat with a particular gfx card), try resetting the BIOS options by using the CMOS jumper. Refer to your motherboard manual to find it.

• Advertisement

thanks dalamar, i really should have thought of that... will try it

Advertisement