Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane

Options
  • 07-01-2005 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Opinions on Renault Megane wanted!

I am thinking of buying an 03 Megane - I drive about 120 miles every day and need a car that is comfortable, safe and with a bit of zip. I drive a Clio so I want a bit more power - not a huge surge of power - but you get my drift! :D

So please tell me what you think - Renault Megane - is it a good car? Anyone that drives a megane please tell me what your opinion is!

Any advice appreciated ;)
    Think Pink

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

With the new model out last year, residuals will be bad on an 03.
    They are comfortable and have a bit of poke but the build quality isn't great.
    Neighbour has one, always something falling of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Test drove it alot as i was thinking of getting rid of my current megane classic and getting one. Lovely car, was looking forward to getting it but other circumstances stopped me buying it.
    Its not a slow car, but its not overflowing with power either but id definatly recommend it if you can handle its looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Jefferson Darcy

The safety thing is covered, even the old Megane scored well in NCAP tests. Comfort, well apart from the high driving position which you're probably used to from your Clio, they do cruise well and have a good ride.

As for power, its obviously gonna depend on which engine is fitted. Anything under 1600 is gonna be a slug in a car of that size. You don't mention what engine your Clio has though - if you're moving from a 1600 Clio, the Megane will be a complete dog unless you can find a 2 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I have an 03 Megane (Coupe 1.4) - which I really like. I also previously had a clio (1.2), and did find a reasonable jump in power. There do seem to be some people who've had no end of trouble with Megane's - as with buying any car second hand, get someone who knows their way around cars to give it the once over before you part with any cash.

Paddy

PS The new model was out in 03 (someone above said last year) - my car is an old model coupe, but that's what I wanted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

My Clio is a 1.2 - so was gonna get a 1.4 megane. Is there a 1.6 version??

Thanks for the advice - its bit confusing the difference in opinions - but sure thats to be expecting ;) any more comments welcome?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

www.renault.ie
    1.4, 1.6 petrol & 1.5 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Had an 01 model Megane (1.4), have the new 04 Megane (1.4). The new Megane is a dog compared to the old one, it feels more powerful on dual carriageways and the like but it struggles getting up hills (and that's with only 2 people in the car and nothing else). It's bulk and handling also make it a pain for city driving and it's nearly impossible to reverse park it due to the piss poor view out the back window. I wouldn't go rushing to upgrade from a Clio unless you really need a 5 seater.

Was it 03 or 04 the new model came out? The 01s and 02s were lovely cars and you got the ease of driving of a 4 seater with the room of a 5 seater. You could take a steep hill in 4th gear too, such was the power :) And they looked good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

The Megane II was released here in October 02 - most 03 Megane's are "new" ones...

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm a Renault fan so probably not the best to give an objective view on the Megane vs other cars in the same class. However a couple of things to note
    -if you get one of the models with alloy wheels be aware that the tyres for these wheels are wide and expensive. Much more so than your Clio. You'd pay around 70-90 euros for one cheap tyre and 120-160 for a known brand.
    -the boot in the car is badly shaped and small. It's a less usable boot than the one in the old Megane and it's probably not a lot better than the boot in your Clio.
    -changing a headlight bulb is a major ordeal apparently and requires that the car be brought to a garage.

Apart from those small things, it's an excellent car IMO. I'd buy one despite the fact that I already have a 03 Laguna which is in the class above. My advice is take both the 1.4 and 1.6 Meganes for a good test drive and see what you think of them. Personally I'd go for the 1.6 as economy is about the same, performance is a bit better.

BrianD3

Advertisement