Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anelka too liverpool ? Good idea ?

• 07-01-2005 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Manchester City striker Nicolas Anelka has emerged as Liverpool's most likely transfer target if they fail to capture Real Madrid's Fernando Morientes.
    Reds boss Rafael Benitez is still confident Morientes will sign, saying: "The player wants to come and we have a clear idea of the price we will pay.

But he added: "Just in case, we are watching other players. We are talking with agents and we have some names.

"We know all about Anelka and he is a good player."

City boss Kevin Keegan said this week he had not been approached about the French striker, but admitted a "massive" bid could tempt the club to sell.

City - who are £62m in debt - are believed to still owe Paris St Germain £5m of the £13m fee they paid for Anelka in the summer of 2002.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Saw that on the BBC site earlier but I wouldn't take too much from it. I hope there's no truth in it, I think Anelka is trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

too right, we dont need him anyways, too similar too baros,call me sendimental but i would like to c fower back at liverpool.Hes playing pretty ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Fower??? who's that?? he play for Old McDonald??

Fowler will never go back to Liverpool.....he is way past his best.....he was way past his best when Liverpool got rid of him and both Leeds and Man City wasted millions on him

I think this is Benitez trying to get Madrid to drop there price.....Morientes has already said he wants to leave Madrid but they want 7mil for him and Liverpool cant afford that!! so they say they are interested in someone else to see if Madrid will say ok take him so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

anelka is a pretty good player....his only problem is his attitude and that of his brothers!! remember, when he was with liverpool, we finished 2nd that season (I am by no means saying it was down to him alone) but his did play well for us and houlier was mad not to sign him - maybe benitez reckons he can handle him and his brothers!!

that is my 2cents!!

--laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

oh and i forgot to add......baros is ok, if he would just realise it is possible to run with your head up AND also it is not just him that can score goals....he is a bit selfish when he runs with his head down, he should look up more and maybe pass it somebody else!!!!

--laoisfan
    (also a liverpoolfan)
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

laoisfan wrote:
    anelka is a pretty good player....his only problem is his attitude and that of his brothers!! remember, when he was with liverpool, we finished 2nd that season (I am by no means saying it was down to him alone) but his did play well for us and houlier was mad not to sign him - maybe benitez reckons he can handle him and his brothers!!

that is my 2cents!!

--laoisfan

You saved me a lot of typing there man, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

did u read about anelkas brother who bought into raith rovers in scotland, he made himself manager, bought loads of amateur french players from the lower leagues in france thinking he could sell them on, all turned out to be rejects and now he has resigned from the job and is looking too sell his stake in the club.Ands hes the same brother who threatens to ruin anelkas career.Tis a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

laoisfan wrote:

that is my 2cents!!

--laoisfan

I'm in total agreement. He's be a great signing. For me, if anyone can get Anelka to play at the top of his game, it's Rafa the gaffa. I'd nearly prefer him (nearly, his attitude is a wee bit of a gamble) over Morientes. He's, what, still only 24/25? And he can play in the Champions League, that alone should tip the balance in his favour. And he seemed to really want to play for Liverpool even though Houllier dispensed with him. Go for it Rafa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

laoisfan wrote:
    oh and i forgot to add......baros is ok, if he would just realise it is possible to run with your head up AND also it is not just him that can score goals....he is a bit selfish when he runs with his head down, he should look up more and maybe pass it somebody else!!!!

--laoisfan
    (also a liverpoolfan)
    :)

I do agree with you but I do think Baros has improved in this department, he seems to be getting better. However, I do question Baros' commitment to the club ever since that statment he supposedly made about his dream of playing for Barcelona. I aslo think Anelka is a decent striker, that's only when he's bothered making the effort though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yikes no Ratboy is trouble !!! Liverpool shouldn't touch him or his weasel like brothers with a bargepole !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Kencu

I'd be very happy with Anelka. It's got to be remembered that any time he's had a good manager he's done the business. He even did it with a bad one for us. Rafa is very much like Wenger when it comes to player management. I think we'd see the old Anelka which could only be a good thing. And if it didnt work out we'd just sell him on anyway. He'll always have suitors due to his ability.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

galwaydude wrote:
    City boss Kevin Keegan said this week he had not been approached about the French striker, but admitted a "massive" bid could tempt the club to sell.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Man City still owe £5 million to Anelka's former club so they'll be looking for at least 7 or 8 million for him before they'll let him move on. Can see Liverpool buying Anelka if they sign Morientes who is Rafa's preferred target.

They don't have that big a transfer budget to splash out unless they pay via a deposit and the remainder in staged payments. They are also looking for a keeper to help bolster the squad due to Kirkland's inability to stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Anelka might not have been banging them in the last time he was at liverpool, but he wasquality. I think he wold do a great job for the pool if he went back - and is possibly the cutting edge they are looking for. A good move, if Benitez can sort out his attitude.

I think Morientes would be a better move, because he can hold the ball up much better than Anelka, but its not looking that likely that he will move this transfer window. At least not for the money Liverpool want to spend.

Advertisement