Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Microsoft launches Antispy Beta 1 - Works!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

pffft - it detects emule as a "spyware bundler" beacuse it registers the ED2K links...

Ditto for DC++ & magnet reg keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Thanks Infini, nice find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

There's another thing about this. There's a network link setting on this which allows people to report what they found to a central server that anyone with the program can access to get the latest threats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

Only valid till July - then updates will not work or it will be disabled.
    Come August you will have to buy

"Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.501
    This version expires on: 31/07/2005
    Current User: IT Department
    Spyware Definition Version: 5678 (07/01/2005 23:20:02)"

Note there are known issues with SMS and Media center :
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/releasenotes.mspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

zod wrote:
    Last I heard they hadn't decided if they were going to charge or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

zod wrote:
    Only valid till July - then updates will not work or it will be disabled.

If that's true then I'll uninstall it in August. It would be a bit of a joke if MS charged people for a program that fixes holes in their own OS.

In the help file :

1. USE RIGHTS. If you comply with this agreement, you have the right to install and use the software on your computer until July 31, 2005, or until the date we release a commercial version of the software, whichever date is first.

2. TIME-SENSITIVE SOFTWARE. The software will stop running on July 31, 2005. You may not receive any other notice. You will not receive any further updates when the software stops running.

3. PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE. This software is a pre-release version. It will not work the way a final version of the software will. We may change it for the final, commercial version. We also may not release a commercial version of the software.

NotMe wrote:
    If that's true then I'll uninstall it in August. It would be a bit of a joke if MS charged people for a program that fixes holes in their own OS.

They might bundle it in as part of sevice pack 3 or include it like windows media player. It would be pointless to charge for it as they make plenty of money anyway and could well affoard to include it.

zod wrote:
    In the help file :

1. USE RIGHTS. If you comply with this agreement, you have the right to install and use the software on your computer until July 31, 2005, or until the date we release a commercial version of the software, whichever date is first.

2. TIME-SENSITIVE SOFTWARE. The software will stop running on July 31, 2005. You may not receive any other notice. You will not receive any further updates when the software stops running.

3. PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE. This software is a pre-release version. It will not work the way a final version of the software will. We may change it for the final, commercial version. We also may not release a commercial version of the software.
    Bold added by me. There is still no official decision on whether there will be a commercial version or not.

you could be right .. it would do a lot for PR .. they might also go down the route of lavasoft and give a passive one away free and the charge for an active preventative one. This site is doing a poll and as would be expected people want the updates for free : http://entmag.com/polls/pollresults.asp

• Advertisement

Its not unusual for MS to time limit beta versions of its products - they're (by definition) not finished, and it forces people to stop using incomplete versions. I'd imagine that 31st July is just the expiration date for this build, and wouldn't read anything else into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

I have to give this one to MS, thats a very nice little program. Nicely laid out and explains in detail what spywere it finds. I run Adaware and Noadware on my machine but this app still found IST.SlotchBar Toolbar which was reported to be a severe threat. I really like the real time protect aswell, its the first antispywere app to have that option and will come in really handy in the future. If I think how many times realtime protect has saved me in the past from virus's, this will definatly be a good thing

ando wrote:
    I really like the real time protect aswell, its the first antispywere app to have that option and will come in really handy in the future. If I think how many times realtime protect has saved me in the past from virus's, this will definatly be a good thing

Spybot has had one for quite some time.

Spybot has had one for quite some time.

But this one seems to be more powerful and effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

does "real time protect" mean its always running and slowing the machine down?

I havent got spyware in months though since i converted to firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

lol @ converted

CyberGhost wrote:
    lol @ converted

Hell I started using firefox after hearing about all the bloody holes in IE. Nobody's dumping their bloody ad or spy crap in my new lappy :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

MS antispyware missed 8 bits of spy that Spyware Killer detected on my machine
    Also it doesn't seem to scan cookies,have I something set wrong ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

Ei2JC wrote:
    MS antispyware missed 8 bits of spy that Spyware Killer detected on my machine
    Also it doesn't seem to scan cookies,have I something set wrong ?

This program found what norton anti-virus missed. There have been posts as well of this beta finding spyware that other programs have missed. It probably has a more powerful bloodhound function built into is as well which is why people are turning up with stuff that other scanners have missed. Also because this is a new program spyware that has been written recently may have been modified to escape detection on other scanners.

right so are we agreed that the best way to get rid of spywere from a machine is to use a combination of Microsoft AntiSpy, Adaware and Spybot search and destroy?

• Advertisement

Sounds good to me...

/me alters sig

I'm after checking a couple of other websites. It seems this beta has had a lot of good word backing it. Its also notable that this seems to be picking up spyware that has been overlooked by several other Anti-spy programs including Spybot and Adaware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as far as I can tell it's actually an upgraded Giant Antispyware.

Works pretty well though. much as I hate to admit it, looks like mickeysoft got it almost perfect with this one :)

Is the final release going to be free or subscription based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

ando wrote:
    right so are we agreed that the best way to get rid of spywere from a machine is to use a combination of Microsoft AntiSpy, Adaware and Spybot search and destroy?

Dont forget the most important, dont use IE!

Jezus today was the first real day that I've used the program in work, when trying to install an app from the internet it poped up and told me not to go ahead. I did a bit of research and found out the app I was about to install had a hidden DLL that would of edited my IP stack, making my internet connection useless if I had tried to remove the spywere.

This antispy from mi€rosoft is the beez kneez. That is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, Pity Windows Update won't work for me online.... I've tried everything Microsoft Suggests... Nothing.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Lump wrote:
    Yea, Pity Windows Update won't work for me online.... I've tried everything Microsoft Suggests... Nothing.

John

legit key perhaps? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yes.... it is actually. What are you trying to say? Indeed it did cost me a few hundred quid.... so SUCKY SUCKY?

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

just curious is all Lump. Not sugesting you didn't have a legit one [seems that way but not my intention at all :)].

for you lump, $10...

• Advertisement

Advertisement