Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Microsoft launches Antispy Beta 1 - Works!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Don't be so quick to label this as an MS anti-spyware. MS just bought the company/app :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I'm finding it's effective enough in comparison with SB & Ad Aware...it's all good.

Just wondering if you all signed up (free?) to the anti-spyware ring like it asks at the start of installation. I didn't cos that paranoid streak in me kicked me. I've a legit copy of windows but I dunno...do I really wanna be perm. connected to some MS-Run thingy. Or is it like auto-updates where u have it ask for permission when it finds something new to download?

What's the verdict on that please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Bri wrote:
    I'm finding it's effective enough in comparison with SB & Ad Aware...it's all good.

Just wondering if you all signed up (free?) to the anti-spyware ring like it asks at the start of installation. I didn't cos that paranoid streak in me kicked me. I've a legit copy of windows but I dunno...do I really wanna be perm. connected to some MS-Run thingy. Or is it like auto-updates where u have it ask for permission when it finds something new to download?

What's the verdict on that please?

I think it's when you find some spyware threat it asks you if you want to report it to Microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Ah grand I'll do without thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I wonder if the EU will let them package it as part of Windows in the future. All the anti-competitive laws that forced them to ship a version without Windows Media Player may kick in again. In a funny way, it might actually force Microsoft to release it as a commercial product.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Nah, they'll be able to keep it free as long as they keep it seperate. After all, MSN Messenger isn't hurting ICQ, AIM or Y! much is it? Ditto DirectX and OpenGL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

They're probably going to package it as a free addition like Windows firewall or Security centre in the next service pack. They've had to put a lot of resources into XP's security since last year including diverting personnel from the longhorn OS project. I've heard of them planning a "reloaded" version of windows XP between now and the release of Longhorn. This could be one of the things they're going to introduce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

AntiSpy is quite good. It found one severe when I did a deep scan and it alerted me of TightVNC(which I use) and RealVNC(Which shouldnt be there)

Advertisement