Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAW proposes offside revolution

• 07-01-2005 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

I thought this was an interesting article on the proposed change to offside rule by the FA of Wales:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4154519.stm
    BBC Sport wrote:
    A revolutionary change to football's offside law is to be proposed by the Football Association of Wales.

Reuters news agency reports that the FAW wants to change the laws so that a player can only be offside if they are in the opponent's penalty area.

The proposal will be put before the eight-seat International Board, which meets in Cardiff on 26 February.

Any proposal needs at least six votes to become law, with Fifa holding four seats and the Home Nations the others.

The offside law has been tinkered with throughout its history.

The latest change introduced the confusing and controversial category of "active" and "passive" players in positions on the pitch that would formerly all be penalised as offside.

But the last major alteration to the offside law was in 1925, which reduced from three to two the number of players from the defending team needed to be between the attacker with the ball and the goalline in the opponent's half.

It had a huge impact, with far more goals being scored before teams adapted their tactics to deal with it.

The Welsh will also propose that players be booked rather than automatically sent off for denying an opponent an obvious scoring opportunity -but that the attacking team be awarded a penalty.

After this week's furore when Tottenham were denied a winning goal against Manchester United because the match officials did not see the ball cross the goalline, there is another important proposal.

The Board is expected to look at technological equipment designed to rule whether the ball has crossed the line for a goal.

The equipment will be demonstrated to members at the Millennium Stadium.

Any decisions taken by the Board become law the following July, but major changes are usually tested in junior and youth level matches for two or three seasons before being adopted at senior level.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The likes of van Nistelrooy would just stay on the edge of the penalty box all day long, meaning the opposing defence will be too. I don't know about changing it like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I dont see it working myself, to be honest. If they are going to make any changes to the offside rule, they should get rid of the whole active and passive rubbish... black and white is the best way....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Bring back the offside rule to the way it used to be imho and allow keepers to pick up back passes as well ;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

allow keepers to pick up back passes as well ;)
    Good god no! That would bring back the boring old days of timewasting! And I am a keeper myself! :p

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic there though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

terrible idea , it would be much better to have it black and white as third echelon put it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

they should do what they did in hockey.
    get rid of it.

makes the game an awful lot more exciting.

plus, it would mean everyone has to play with a sweeper then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

get rid of it.

You'd see lineker, rush and hughes all coming out of retirement. Plant them on the 6 yard line... what a front line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They tried this before, back in 1925, when they were trying to determine the best offside rule.

It ended up being a terrible idea, and i'm 100% sure this will be rejected :)

get rid of it.

That would make the game **** and allow a forward to stand in front of the keeper permanently , obstructing his view of every shot .

Ice hockey rules,
    there is an offside rule
    It can only occur however past a specific line.

If people are worried about defenses pushing up too much, you could make it only applicable in the last 1/3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Ears wrote:
    That would make the game **** and allow a forward to stand in front of the keeper permanently , obstructing his view of every shot .

I don't believe it would. I think it would stretch the game and allow more space for the quality players to express themselves. It would stop teams packing the midfield and stiffeling games as it would be easy to play over them. It would not suit strikers that depend on pace to make their goals as defences would have to sit back ;eaving no room to run into. I have made the same suggestion here a number of times and I think it would improve soccer as a spectacle as it has done for Hockey.

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't believe it would. I think it would stretch the game and allow more space for the quality players to express themselves. It would stop teams packing the midfield and stiffeling games as it would be easy to play over them. It would not suit strikers that depend on pace to make their goals as defences would have to sit back ;eaving no room to run into. I have made the same suggestion here a number of times and I think it would improve soccer as a spectacle as it has done for Hockey.

You've got Van Nistelrooy as a striker of course you'd love to have this rule in ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Muppet wrote:
    I don't believe it would. I think it would stretch the game and allow more space for the quality players to express themselves.

TBH i think it would have the opposite affect. <ore space makes average players look good. Anyone can play well in acres of space. but to play on a tight pitch and still look good with no time on the ball, shows the real quality player. this can be cleary seen in 5/6 a side games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Ears wrote:
    You've got Van Nistelrooy as a striker of course you'd love to have this rule in ;) .

Ruud already plays by those rules, particularly at set pieces. :D

Stekelly wrote:
    The Muppet wrote:
    I don't believe it would. I think it would stretch the game and allow more space for the quality players to express themselves.

TBH i think it would have the opposite affect. <ore space makes average players look good. Anyone can play well in acres of space. but to play on a tight pitch and still look good with no time on the ball, shows the real quality player. this can be cleary seen in 5/6 a side games.

Not in my opinion. Average players are just that Average , give a quality player time and space on the balll and the quality will show. These new rules would definitely benefit the quality teams.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The Muppet wrote:
    `
    yes and that would make the game pure **** it would take away upsets in matches teams with the best team on paper would win every single game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

it has its cons and pros.. tough one to call. from a personal point of view i find it very frustrating watching sides play an offside trap to military precision time and time again, it wastes time (albeit seconds but they all add up). introducing this rule or getting rid of offside completely means the game would flow more therefore increasing excitement and drama, cutting down on freekicks and potential timewasting.

the cons...well goalhanging obviously (which is why this proposed rule is interesting), keepers would be at a disadvantage with more bodies around about the area, we'd see less upsets perhaps seen as this favours the attacking side. thinking about it, it's actually not a bad idea proposed by the welsh. in order to be fair, somesort of offside rule must be in place to stop goalhanging and theyve covered that. i think it would be bad for the game though if it was scrapped completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

PHB wrote:
    Ice hockey rules,
    there is an offside rule
    It can only occur however past a specific line.

If people are worried about defenses pushing up too much, you could make it only applicable in the last 1/3

i was talking about field hockey, which i play.

and believe it or not, it has made the game a lot better.
    and its a game of 11 players.
    its just like football, but with a smaller ball!

it actuyally makes the game a lot more fluid, and gives you a lot more options.

by the way, sitting on the keeper is a waste. it gives the opposition more control over midfield.

Well I'd like the implementation of this rule, furthering the fact that you can't be offside in front of the half way line, instead making it 1/4 or a 1/3 of the way up the pitch, that'd get more fludity without the bad side of poaching(couldn't remember if thi swas the word I used to use as a kid)

In case anyone gets a bit paranoid I'm not being anti-Man Utd, just curious as to why 3 of the 4 people that wouldn't mind seeing this implemented are United fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why don't you just accept them as opinions instead of them being from Utd fans? That way you won't be paranoid...:)

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    Why don't you just accept them as opinions instead of them being from Utd fans? That way you won't be paranoid...:)

The real answer is yee have Nistelrooy , and if Chelsea still had Crespo , im sure you'd be much more reluctant in your support of the rule .

cheesedude wrote:
    Well, I don't see why I should be paranoid. I find it strange that of the hundreds of people on this board the only people that have voted in favour are 3 United fans and someone who has seen the benefit's in hockey. I have to reiterate, I#d be posting this post if it was Liverpool, Arsenal, Celtic or whatever fans. I'm just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well I for one think it would be a ****ing god awful rule.

I'll tell you why, its a ****ing conspiracy.
    All you guys are ganging up on United, every single one of you.
    You're all trying to stop us using Van Nist to his full potential!!!!!
    ITS A ****ING CONSPIRACY!!
    We'll show you!!!
    We'll get Riley on our side, and bribe dean just like we do every other game!!!!
    Ever wonder why we win games?!!!! ITS CAUSE OF BUNGS!!!!

Did you know we had the offside rule changed to the active and non active **** cause it would benefit Van Nist, cause you know hes smart.
    WE ****ING OWN FOOTBALL< YOU SHUT THE **** UP CAUSE YOU DONT MATTER.
    DONT **** WITH US OR ELSE WE@LL BUY YOUR CLUB AND SELL ALL THE PLAYERS< AND DO WHAT WE DID TO WIMBOLDON AND LEEDS

Oh no wait, i'm a secure person, never mind.

Advertisement