Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a home office, costs?

Options
  • 07-01-2005 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all

Im thinking of getting a 5m x 5m and appox 4m high structure built to be used as a home office at the end of my mother’s garden which has rear access. The building would not be accessible from her garden, just from the rear and if successful planning permission were obtained I would buy the portion of land from her.

I am quite handy when it come to DIY but id rather get the foundations / walls built by a builder as I need it done 100% proper with the correct damp proofing etc. basically heres my question is regards approximate costs.

I would require the builder to demolish the existing back wall and a small concrete area on the site, lay the foundations, build four new cavity walls, leave an opening for one door and one window which I would fit, and put the rafters etc up for a slightly pitched roof which I would tile, Everything else I should be able to look after myself.

My question is roughly what should I be budgeting for building it? Also ill need to get water, elec and sewage in, the rear of the house is basically in an apartment complex so everything is available underground within a few meters of the proposed building and would I have to mention that it would be connected to these in the planning application? Would it be a long and expensive process to get her to sign that part of the land over to me?

Sorry for all the questions! :eek:
    Thanks in advance
    Michael :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Midship,

A lot can depend on what the local authority wants in "Service Charges" for connecting to the mains water sewage etc, then you will have the ESB at a higher rate because the building is for commercial use.

Considering planning permission for a house costs in the order of 12,000-00 euro if granted, the local authority can almost write their own cheque (Yours) for commercial buildings, they also factor in parking for cars and visitors.

Their charges for the planning application should be on their web site usually X euro per square metre, check out their website (most are on the links page of www.crawleyandsons.com) and make an appointment with the pre planning clinic, also your local Enterprise Board may be able to help.

As to construction costs there are a lot of variables in what you propose, depending on the finish you could be spending in the order of 25 > 30,000.

Regarding the land being signed over it should take no longer than a standard property transaction, 6 > 8 weeks.

I hope the above is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭midship

Thanks for the advice!

What would be the procedure if i applied for permission to build the same structure maybe a little bigger and propose to use it as a granny flat sort of thing, do you think this type of application would be approved? Then I suppose I would get services at residential rates? if I obtained permission for the flat I would look at somwhere else for the office.. the flat would be small I now but its better than living with the parents! :rolleyes:

Or would i be opening a can of worms applying for this type of permission?! :confused:

As you can prob tell im new to the whole planning permission procedure!
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi midship,

To find your way around planning permission rules would need someone a lot more experienced than me :), Was that a Halo I saw over your post ? :D .

As far as I know the granny flat must be attached to the main residence, I could be wrong but it might be hard to show why you want Granny to have an entrance and window that is not facing the main house :confused: .

You might have a better chance with your own apartment idea, I know Dublin City Council had a scheme in certain areas called "Living over the shop".

All the planning info you want is freely available from your local authority, and anything you say or ask does not form part of your planning application until you have a formal Pre Planning meeting and lodge an application.

Usual Disclaimer : I'm not responsible for anything my keyboard types etc etc ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭midship

rooferPete wrote:
    As far as I know the granny flat must be attached to the main residence, I could be wrong but it might be hard to show why you want Granny to have an entrance and window that is not facing the main house :confused:

LOL :rolleyes: might re-think the description!

So my next step will be to get in contact with my local authority and get their input.

Thanks again for the help

Advertisement