Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

customs help

• 07-01-2005 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

i want to buy some electronics from a company in asia.

each item is worth about $300 each and i would be getting 10 a pop.

so, $3000 worth.

how much will customs feck me over?
    and is there anyway to avoid this?

anyway to get like, better rates? like can i say its for my company? and if so where would i go to fill out forms etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

not possible, i want to eventually buy more then 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

What exactly are you getting?

computer parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

What has this got to do with work? confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

and why does everyone think if its marked gift you get away with paying tax and vat?

this is untrue marked gift or not if its worth over 45 euro you pay vat and duty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

You're going to get hit for 21% VAT plus duty - which is another few percent. The only way to avoid VAT is if your own company is registered for VAT. You can then claim it back from the Revenue Commisioners.

fli youre wrong about the gift thing, i checked it out. so long as its not above 320 or something like that

Have you checked the Revenue Commisioners site?

http://www.revenue.ie/faqs/custbref.htm

Gifts

Customs duty and VAT is not payable on consignments of a value not exceeding €45 which are sent as gifts by private individuals from third countries for the personal or family use of private individuals in the State. However, relief from VAT does not apply in the case of tobacco products, alcohol/alcoholic beverages perfumes or toilet waters and the limits set out in Public Notice No. 1179 relating to relief from customs duty on such goods must be observed. Furthermore, where after excluding the value of the goods (other than tobacco products) which qualified for the relief (€45), the total value of the remainder of the dutiable goods in a gift consignment does not exceed €349.18, customs duty will be charged on the balance at the standard rate of 3.5%. The importer may, however, opt to have the goods charged at the relevant tariff rate(s) applicable. VAT and excise duty, if chargeable, will be assessed in the normal way.

And you haven't got a hope in hell of getting a foreign company to forge customs documents on your behalf to pretend you're importing gifts. If you're planning on importing goods and selling them for less than Irish suppliers by dodging tax, then you're heading for a lot of trouble.

i know for a fact im not wrong m8,my gf is american sends me gifts all the time dvds ,cds,electronics and once its marked as being over 45 euros in value i get screwed by the irish gov for vat and duty,even though the package is marked as a gift.

theres another way to avoid customs and tax then....

get a girlfriend who lives in ireland :P

• Advertisement

Yeah, then it won't be the Irish Government that's screwing you :D

my choice of gf has nothing to do with this thread tbh,i was just stating the fact that marked as gift or not you will still be charged vat and duty.

lol kobie btw :D

Advertisement