Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headunit wireing

• 07-01-2005 3:24pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the wireing on a head unit or point me to a site with a good diagram. I have a standard Blaupunkt (San Remo RD 168) CD/Tuner Headunit with 3 moulded block conectors (2 of which are actually attached in the car). Basically I want to know what the 3 ports are (esp the one thats not currently hooked up).

Iv ordered a phone car kit and I may or may not change the head unit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

the 2 in use are standard iso connecters one has earth(black), permanent live(red), switched live(yellow), probably one illumination(orange) and a mute if you're lucky(blue&white)

the other will have 4 or 8 wires any combination of white green purple and grey for front and rear speakers!!

the third socket on the back of your sterio is most likely for a cd changer!!

guessin you've a vw/audi?

hope that helps you!!

if not I'll reply again!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Punto ;)

Ill post a few pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Small world - Just spent most of tonight trying to get a Blaupunkt San Remo working (failed, trying again in the morning with a different radio).

Have a look at this PDF for the standard Blaupunkt connections (skip to the 9th page).

BlueDrax wrote:
    Small world - Just spent most of tonight trying to get a Blaupunkt San Remo working (failed, trying again in the morning with a different radio).

Have a look at this PDF for the standard Blaupunkt connections (skip to the 9th page).

You legend! :)

From that it looks like I have a mute and a CD changer port. The bloody instructions for the radio dont mention either... Only one I dont have is the "Automatic Sound" not sure WTF that is though...

Ill have to have a google now to see if I can get somthing to plug in to the port. Im assuming that because the pins are there the functionality is...

What do you reckon was up with your San Remo? If its knackered I might be intrested in it. The facia I have dosnt light up properly anymore for some reason. Dont know if you can interchange facia's between units though.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:
    What do you reckon was up with your San Remo? If its knackered I might be intrested in it. The facia I have dosnt light up properly anymore for some reason. Dont know if you can interchange facia's between units though.

Haven't a clue! I nicked it out of one of my brother's cars to see if the wiring in my new car was any good. It used to have the "Toyota Super Live Sound System" until a previous owner butchered the wires to install a bog standard system. :mad:
    I've at least another 4 Blaupunkts I can swipe from other family members, so I'll know soon enough if it's the radio or the wiring.

Ahh right. Well dont do what I did before and conect the power to the wrong inputs and blow it up. Cost me about IR£50 to get it fixed/recoded.

If you come acroos anymore docs for the San Remo send em on. Im not convinced oit supports everything those ports suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Rew wrote:
    Ahh right. Well dont do what I did before and conect the power to the wrong inputs and blow it up. Cost me about IR£50 to get it fixed/recoded.

If you come acroos anymore docs for the San Remo send em on. Im not convinced oit supports everything those ports suggest.

I have a similar but older Blaupunkt stereo (Lausanne CD31) and an even older tape/radio and both of them have exactly the same "extra" port. The other 2 ports are the standard ISO connectors, the third one is standard only on Blaupunkt models.

On lower spec models the port is still there but the pins are absent so if the pins are there then the stereo will have the function.

From the spec sheet at http://www.blaupunkt.ie/7644176310_main.asp yours does have all those functions, phone mute, remote control, aux input, cd changer control, pre-amp out for external amplifier and equalizer.

Mines a much older San Remo 168 RD not the newer one so I cannt find the spec sheet. I reckoned if the pins where there there was a good chance. Mailed a crowd in the states who do adapters for changing various AUX imputs in to 3.5mm jacks or RCA ports. They think one of their cables will work so I may invest the $20 in that and give it a try.

http://www.yopi.de/Blaupunkt_San_Remo_RD_168_CD_Radios

anyone speak german? :)

You can get the genuine cables from blaupunkt dealers, it is a while since I got an aux in cable (3.5 jack) but it was not very much, around €10 or so.

If that is all you want I might have a spare one lying around, I got rid of my car last year so all my car stereo stuff is lying around somewhere.

• Advertisement

John R wrote:
    You can get the genuine cables from blaupunkt dealers, it is a while since I got an aux in cable (3.5 jack) but it was not very much, around €10 or so.

If that is all you want I might have a spare one lying around, I got rid of my car last year so all my car stereo stuff is lying around somewhere.

Yeah would be intrested but I very unsure if it would work. The manual has no mention of a CD changer function for my unit. The port I have is the "C" port shown in Drax's PDF (page 9). Its an 8 pin conection.

From your photo of the stereo it has the pins for a CD changer, Aux in and Remote control so it *should* be capable of all three. AFAIK only the most basic casette/radios aren't.
    If you go into the options menu on the stereo ("menu" or "DSC" button) it should give the option of AUX ON or OFF if it is capable of that function.

Is it an external source (mp3 player, etc) or a CD changer you want to attach?

MP3, ill give the menu thing a try.

Nope, no AUX on the munu, nothing even close...

I had an Blaupunkt 10 Disc CD-Changer and it just plugged into the C3 port.
    Used it on a couple of different Blaupunkt radio/CD players without any problems

Managed to get my San Remo (CD31) working.
    Turns out there wasn't enough power in the car battery to make it turn on.
    Safety feature? Battery starts getting flat, so the radio stops working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I bought a new car stereo last week and tried fitting it myself after reading the above instructions and pics.

Its JVC stereo but at the back of it there is only one port, not two like in your pics here. Coming out of the car is a white socket/port but this doesnt fit into the stereo.

Some black wires and ports came with the stereo but I cant for the life of me figure out how to use it to connect the stero to the car. Any ideas?

Im replacing the stereo coz my other one got nicked from it - while robbing it they took the casing from around the stereo too which means I need to get another one of these too. Would I just be better off to bring it to a garage and get them to do the whole thing for me? WOuld any old garage do it?

I bought a new car stereo last week and tried fitting it myself after reading the above instructions and pics.

Its JVC stereo but at the back of it there is only one port, not two like in your pics here. Coming out of the car is a white socket/port but this doesnt fit into the stereo.

Some black wires and ports came with the stereo but I cant for the life of me figure out how to use it to connect the stero to the car. Any ideas?

Im replacing the stereo coz my other one got nicked from it - while robbing it they took the casing from around the stereo too which means I need to get another one of these too. Would I just be better off to bring it to a garage and get them to do the whole thing for me? WOuld any old garage do it?

You need to get the fitting instructions appropriate for the make and model stereo you bought (Ifd you bought a new stereo it should come with fitting instructions), also the car you have has a bearing on what is needed.

The metal sleeve that attaches the stereo to the dashboard is specific to the brand of stereo, one should have come with the stereo...unless you bought it from some bloke in a pub.

Got my car kit today (SE HCB-300). Installed it and its all working. After everything my Stereo dosn't support a phone mute.... Also who ever put the wireing in my Punto took a short cut or 2. Instead of wireing the ignition back to the stereo they just truncked the 12v postive wire. To get the kit to turn on and off with the engin I had to wire the lights to the kits ignition wire (I drive with the lights on all the time anyway).

Anyone know which wire from the ignition id have to take if I wanted to wire it up properly?

Rew wrote:
    Anyone know which wire from the ignition id have to take if I wanted to wire it up properly?

It needs two + connections. One that is always connected goes to pin4 on the lower ISO block and one wired to the ACC (or ON if no ACC) setting on the ignition which goes to pin 7 on the lower ISO block.

• Advertisement

The manuals that you and Drax posted (thx BTW) are pretty clear about the pins, but I jsut dont know where in the car Id take the 12v pos from the ignition. More I think about it the more I reckon I wont bother as it is now it works so why tamper with it.

Thanks for all your help with it.

Im going to get an advanced mute cable for the kit that will cut the conection between the radio and the speakers so Ireckon the radio mute isnt such a big deal. That and I can mut it on the dash handy enough.

Rew wrote:
    ... but I just dont know where in the car Id take the 12v pos from the ignition.
    I usually tap into the "Cig Lighter" to get IGN+12v, Ground & Illumination, sometimes the "Dashboard Clock". Whichever is easy to get at.
    Just use a volt meter, test lamp, bulb on a bit of wire to work out which wire is only +12v when the ignition is on.

Cig Lighter is a bloody good idea. I have the illumination one from the radio luckily or id be proper ****ed with the car kit. Cig lighter isnt readily accessible but ill keep it in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mondy2001

hi guys here is a link to get all the cables and adopters needed to fit ur own car phone kit www.siocommunications.co.uk they also give gr8 advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

BlueDrax wrote: »

this pdf doesnt seem to be working anymore. anyone have any other ones. im looking to wire into the aux in connnection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This thread is four years old, please start a new one rather than bumping old ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement