Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost characters in text messages

Options
  • 07-01-2005 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

My Nokia mobile lets me use "foreign" language characters like á, é etc in text messages but if I store a text message I've written in the archive, only é is preserved - all the other vowels - á, í, ó & ú - change to their non-accented forms.

Why are most of these characters lost in this way?

Are they also lost when you send a message to another phone?

If they are lost, why bother giving people the option of using them when composing texts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It's probably a bug.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Dunno if it would necessarily be a bug - I used to work for siemens mobile phone support, and we had some spielfrom the bosses about spanish users having the same trouble when sending text messages, and the gist of it was that their system for the special characters somehow managed to conflict with others so that the messages lost the accents depending on what handset they were received by.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and there might be a firmware update that would sort the problem...

Advertisement