Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Framed Apartment: Hanging Pictures

Options
  • 07-01-2005 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

Hi bought an apartment last Autumn, only gettignt o do bits and pieces now. I have a collection of pictures I want to put up but how ? I have a stud detector but its detecting every few inches (maybe I need to re read the instructions) I don't want to be making holes all over the plaster.

I did get some of those scres whichthen lock behind the plaster but do i really need them for pictures ? they make quite a sizeable hole.

In my old place I used those white plast hooks that come in different sizes with pins you hammer into wall. am told not to use them that they'll just come out or take the plaster with them ?

Any ideas?
    Also I wanted to fix a painting over the entire widht of the fireplace. would i be right in thinking at least each border would be backed by a slat? i.e if I fixed the painting to the edges of the chimney thingy .

Laptop is dead so might be slower checking back , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

I did get some of those scres whichthen lock behind the plaster but do i really need them for pictures ? they make quite a sizeable hole.

you will need them for a permanent job....you can buy small ones...i think 8mm from memory, use 6mm drill bit and shave around edges to stop plaster cracking when screwing in the plug..you will have to then hammer in a small 3mm plastic plug inside that as picture hooks dont come that size.
    Also I wanted to fix a painting over the entire widht of the fireplace. would i be right in thinking at least each border would be backed by a slat? i.e if I fixed the painting to the edges of the chimney thingy .

in timber framed houses they use dunbricks for the flue and mostly just dab the plaster board on the chimney thingy...so no battens, but there are exceptions...phone someone like century homes for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

thanks for the info.

Advertisement