Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Adobe acrobat control

• 07-01-2005 6:07pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a problem with my adobe add on.
    basically when i try to view a file on the web through a link to a PFD, windows blocks it.
    I have tried to go to the manage add on's on my browser and it says that the add on is disabled and contriolled by my administartor.
    I am the administrator on the comp!!
    why can't i change it?? :confused:

any help welcome
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

What browser you using?

Dunno about IE but in FireFox I find it easier to go Tools>Options>Downloads>File Types
    and tell it to auto d/l (to temp or desktop) as pdfs inside a browser are more trouble than their worth. Also, again if your a FF user search for TargetAlert as an extension to help your surfing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'm using IE 6,

would ya recommned firefox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

PDFs always cause Firefox to freeze when I click back or try to close the tab. I have to go to task manager and end the AcroRd32.exe process. I just open them externally now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Yeah I'd really recommend you give it a go...although I'd recommend any browser over IE. Just click on the link in my signature and give it a look. It's not perfect but it will quietly protect your PC a zillion times more than IE and it's very customisable with addons (extensions) and themes all over the place. It also lets you browse in tabs - basically letting you open all your webpages with just 1 entry in the windows taskbar.

I had the same problem with Adobe Freezing - in both browsers. Now I just open them externally automatically like I posted above. Acrobat 7 is out now (link on the FF website) and it was discussed today in terms of turning off its annoying features.
    http://muppet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=215777

Hope that helps.

Remeber if you like the idea of Firefox give it a bit of time as it will differ in many ways - once you get it the way you like it you may never go back.

Also, in the intrests of fairness you could look at other browsers and compare at www.browsehappy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Try right clicking on the link and choosing save target as...

Click on Tools, manage add-ons and then select, 'add-ons that have been used by internet explorer' select the adobe one and select enable.

Cheerio
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hey Howard,

I have tried to enable the add on as mentioned but it says that it is controlled by my administrator, which is me!!
    I can enable/disable nearly every other add on but not this one.
    any idea why?

I have tried the save target approach and that works fine, just bugs me why i can't just open it

Advertisement