Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor roaming bar

Options
  • 07-01-2005 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Just to let everyone know that after you have had your international roaming bar lifted by Meteor three times, the bar is lifted indefinitely. The first and second times it is re-activated after one month. Discovered this last night when I rang to get it lifted for the third time.
    The guy wanted me to top-up by 60 Euro initially, although by the end of the call I had convinced him that it wasn't necessary (thank God).
    Ciaran

Comments

So if I'm hearing this right you can just go away and your phone will work?

I've never even roamed once with Meteor so it doesn't really affect me, but I like that I can roam nearly anywhere without switching to paying a bill. Even if it does take some effort to set up, its the lesser of two evils.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Karsini wrote:
    So if I'm hearing this right you can just go away and your phone will work?

I've never even roamed once with Meteor so it doesn't really affect me, but I like that I can roam nearly anywhere without switching to paying a bill. Even if it does take some effort to set up, its the lesser of two evils.

Initially to roam you have to top up by 60 euro and register a credit card with them AFAIK. From ferryman's post I'd assume that if you roam 3 times and prove not to be a credit liability when doing so, you are no longer required to jump through these hoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

It is hassel initially but it means that Meteor pay as you go customers can roam anywhere in the world whereas the other two can only roam in Europe

It is hassel initially but it means that Meteor pay as you go customers can roam anywhere in the world whereas the other two can only roam in Europe

Exactly my point. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if u get a tmobile uk pay as u go card u can roam anywhere in the world. get em on ebay of a quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

well if you are going to do that you might as well get a simcard for the country you are travelling to.

Was in malaysia recently and simcards there were from about €4 with about the same amount in credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Rang Meteor up last night, the biddy on te phone knew nothing about the 3rd time roaming and the bar is lifted.

Can someone confirm that it is lifted? I'll ring again tonight and get someone different

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭samo

but if you overspend even by a cent when you are away, the roaming bar will still go back on!

I havent come across a permanent lift on the roaming bar for a PAYG customer before unless in agreement with a supervisor or their 'risk management' dept! so I wouldnt take it as gospel that the roaming bar is indefinitly lifted unless things have changed with their roaming policy - and the roaming bar will always go back on if there is any overspend.

Akula wrote:
    well if you are going to do that you might as well get a simcard for the country you are travelling to.

Was in malaysia recently and simcards there were from about €4 with about the same amount in credit.

yeah but u cant buy a sim card in the usa have to buy an analogue phone. also u have to serch where to buy one. . in the usa even pay as u go customer are commited to spend 10-15$ a month or the account is cancelled. hence the uk t mobile card comes in handy for occasional calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

lomb wrote:
    yeah but u cant buy a sim card in the usa have to buy an analogue phone. also u have to serch where to buy one. . in the usa even pay as u go customer are commited to spend 10-15$ a month or the account is cancelled. hence the uk t mobile card comes in handy for occasional calls.

You're right about the spending the $$ or the account is closed (until you top up again) but you can get sim cards in the US. I was in Boston in Summer 03 and got one with T-mobile, put it into a tri band phone and Robert was your mothers brother.

• Advertisement

How much did the card cost? also where did u get it, walmat only do analogue phones for 50 or 60 bucks.

lomb wrote:
    How much did the card cost? also where did u get it, walmat only do analogue phones for 50 or 60 bucks.

Don't remember the exact details, but I got it at a T-Mobile stand in a shopping mall at the end of the green line in Boston (Camberiage Galleria I think the mall was called). Cost something in the region of $60 with $60 credit

hmm lots a lot of dollars if u only want to make a few calls. also the credit is useless after u leave.
    uk tmobile option not too bad a one.
    having said that i made 2 phonecalls from the us of 1 minute each and hotel charged 30dollars per call. wtf! crazy country.

lomb wrote:
    hmm lots a lot of dollars if u only want to make a few calls. also the credit is useless after u leave.
    uk tmobile option not too bad a one.
    having said that i made 2 phonecalls from the us of 1 minute each and hotel charged 30dollars per call. wtf! crazy country.

*shrug* just go with vodafone, they can roam over there.

*shrug* just go with vodafone, they can roam over there.

Only on bill though, stingy cowboys. As I've already said it might be some hassle to roam on Meteor but at least they let you do it.

Advertisement