Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headlock Escape

• 07-01-2005 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Headlock Escape

Enjoy!

Colm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Nice one! So many have been waiting on this!
    For the haters out there,no flaming,post your own efforts and we'll all compare and contrast function and intent.I'd rather not see "why didn't you just........................" naming your favourite escape.
    Get some pics done and post em up,or send them to me and I'll see about hosting them.Include text explaining the how and more importantly the why!! Instead of just knocking what another member has done,lets see if we can't all contribute to the knowledge base of this forum and raise the bar for all of us.
    The way I see it,we could all sit behing our keyboards and say "my way is so better than that,you not being able to do it my way means you are not as good as me/my style". OR, we can all sit here and go "Why would you not at pic.1,do this or this first,if that fails go to here and try one of these".
    We all learn more from each others styles,get a chance to try at least one other way of getting a job done,and learn to be better at our hobby/sport/Art at the same time.
    I will give this set a try,but who's to say some one from another art or style hasn't got a solution which would be a better fit for me? Maybe I'm not so nimble on the deck but a tricksy finger lock might be just my cup of tea! Who is to know until we try if a MMA fix is best for one member ,or if something from another art would work better for another member?
    Even if we all decide one solution is the dogs and we all decide to adopt it as our favoured solution,who can say that when you have to try do it "for real" that it will go as planned.It'd be nice to have another option or three to choose from.
    I am aware having too many options under stress can result in a "freeze" where the selection makes picking one under duress too slow.But having one prefered move and one,maybe two,backups can only be a good thing!
    So long winded again,sorry lads,but I hope you may see the merit in an approach such as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Lovely sermon there Preacher Musashi ;)

Colm how effective did you find that escape? How effective did the aggressor feel it was?

Would you use this technique in a street situation or opt for another?

I'm just not 100% sure how this would work out against a much larger aggressor as both of ye are fairly light.

As a side note nice series of pics, I think Musashi has plans for himself and myself to do a series aswell.

.logic.

Lovely sermon there Preacher Musashi

Your welcome my Son!
    I think Musashi has plans for himself and myself to do a series aswell.

Better believe it! Who can we get to photo it though?
    against a much larger aggressor as both of ye are fairly light.

Not a problem either of us have, for a couple reasons :)
    Got to walk the walk if we talk the talk though,so will be getting photos done and up, and I'd encourage the others to do the same!
    This is getting to be big fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Hey lads. The escape worked. I was cranking on a fairly tight headlock and was holding tight on the ground too. Colm is a light weight (65kg) and Im a Light Heavyweight (86kg) so there is a decent weight difference.

It works very well. AFAIK its a Greco Roman escape so its been doing the rounds for millenia!

I'd have liked to see the aggressor actualy striking instead of holding on for all he was worth! Why put some one in a headlock unless you can smack him silly or run him into a wall?
    And no disrespect but 86kg is not what I'd call a heavy opponent

The attached image is of my prefered training partner. If it works on him it will work on humans! And he's not just a slab of beef, in TKD he could kick like a mule and do full splits cold,in boxing he started out just knocking guys out!
    He is also a very aggressive and "hard" guy, which makes the sparring interesting,and a bit dangerous for me!

We'll work some releases and stuff and post them up here so ye can get a better idea of what we mean by "Self Defense", but it's a distant cousin of trad. TKD.
    This does not mean I'd dismiss TKD out of hand, as a base art I feel it's hard to find a better common ground for martial artists nationwide.Just as I would not dismiss a SBG gym which had a poor instructor.
    It's the fight in the dog rather than the dog in the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Colm how effective did you find that escape?

We've found it to be the most non-attribute based escape and it's the only one we teach in the SBG Intro course now.

Alternatively there's the drag-back escape which doesn't leave you in such a good position as that, and also beginners tend to break away from their opp while trying to do it, thus losing control.

Then there's the bump-and-slam, but that requires more footwork to get it done nicely. Can be learnt easily enough tho!
    I'm just not 100% sure how this would work out against a much larger aggressor as both of ye are fairly light.

21Kg weight difference! I tend to get headlocked a lot because of my clinch style. Most of the time I'm able to shot putt their arm off and get to there back, but if it's locked on I'll go for The Elvis or the bump to finish the takedown.
    I'd have liked to see the aggressor actualy striking instead of holding on for all he was worth!

If he was striking he'd have to give up a lot of control, and would have made the escape a lot easier. Holding on as tight as possible is the best way to control me. But try it for yourself and see!
    Just as I would not dismiss a SBG gym which had a poor instructor.

You should. We would.

Peace Out,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

Excellent work. It would be cool if you did a series of defense moves from common attacks one might expect from an untrained wouldbe attacker, such as a mugger or an aggressive drunk. Such as how to defend from a common rugby tackle, standing rear-naked, hammerlock (the guards are always at this :D), front mount striking attack, back mount striking attack etc. It would be much more interesting and useful to most people then a guide on how to do Oma-Platas from the guard, etc.

Keep up the great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"Just as I would not dismiss a SBG gym which had a poor instructor"

You should. We would.

pfft, posh southsiders, hatin on a brudder cos he aint got no job :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Im2Lazy

Hi Colm,

Just wondering, this technique isn't for self defence(on street) is it, it's more for competions right ?

Im2Lazy wrote:
    Hi Colm,

Just wondering, this technique isn't for self defence(on street) is it, it's more for competions right ?

The same techniques that will work in any realistic competitive environment will also work on the dreaded street, so yes, it is for self defence.

Peace Out,
    Colm

• Advertisement

Im2Lazy wrote:
    Hi Colm,

look on it this way; people can resist pain, penetration, electrocution, reason, arrest but they cant resist mother earths pull: gravity is the only certainty :D

Bambi wrote:
    look on it this way; people can resist ... penetration...

Some people even like that one.

.logic.

logic1 wrote:
    Some people even like that one.

.logic.

kwilliams.gif

lmao Bambi

Welcome one and all to the double entendre board!

he he, one does ones best ;)

Actually looking at this head lock escape yokey, i'd assumed Colm was taking Colum straight down onto his (Colums) back but reading the text it sounds like a sacrifice throw backwards, rolling colum of over you. Is that it?? Do you feel theres any risk with the other dudes weight coming down on you when perform it on an unmatted surface? I'm curious because Im not familar with these kinda take downs but i wouldnt be a big fan of trying any sacrifice throw that i was taught on a hard surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

fair play lads! this idea could really take off!

Now to find a partner to train with :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Im2Lazy

The reason I asked :
    was for the same reason as Bambi
    Do you feel theres any risk with the other dudes weight coming down on you when perform it on an unmatted surface?

It seems quite dangerous to go to the ground while in a headlock, also as you said on the website
    This will cause a lot of pain in your partner's neck area
    That's fine in a competitive environment, it hurts him while you have hold of him and he can tap out "You Win" but what's to stop him attacking you as soon as you let go and are trying to get up off the ground.

So it isn't really Self Defence for the "dreaded street" cos you should be trying to get away from him NOT hold on to him indefinately.

I must add though I do like the technique, but there just seems like too much could go wrong in a street application.

Im2Lazy wrote:

So it isn't really Self Defence for the "dreaded street" cos you should be trying to get away from him NOT hold on to him indefinately.

I must add though I do like the technique, but there just seems like too much could go wrong in a street application.

I don't see why it isn't. What would be your alternative?

.logic.

reading the text it sounds like a sacrifice throw backwards, rolling colum of over you. Is that it?? Do you feel theres any risk with the other dudes weight coming down on you when perform it on an unmatted surface? I'm curious because Im not familar with these kinda take downs but i wouldnt be a big fan of trying any sacrifice throw that i was taught on a hard surface.

Good question. It's not actually a "throw", more of a drag-down. Actually Colum is rolled "over"/"Around" me by the time my but has hit the floor. We found it quite difficult to photograph this (as it was a dynamic, no set midway position could be held) so we just did a before and after.

I'm not a big fan of any low percentage or sacrifice throws hence we don't really go over anything like that when we train. Most of my takedowns involve locking up the body and dragging it to the mat, using my bodyweight as an anchor of sorts.
    It seems quite dangerous to go to the ground while in a headlock, also as you said on the website
    Quote:
    This will cause a lot of pain in your partner's neck area

That's fine in a competitive environment, it hurts him while you have hold of him and he can tap out "You Win" but what's to stop him attacking you as soon as you let go and are trying to get up off the ground.

What are the dangers in a headlock? To me they seem to be
    a) getting choked/strangled
    b) getting throw/taken down
    c) getting hit.

So if I can reverse the dominant position in a fight, what's wrong with changing levels.

As for competition/tapping out. The pressure created on his neck is designed as pain compliance. Once he releases your head you are free to stand back up, pin him, or whatever. What's to stop anyone continuing their attack once you've countered one move?

See above. I don't hold on to O'Keeffe once I've broken free of the headlock, which was the problem we were dealing with.

Peace Out,
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭pma-ire

Lads,

Do ye ever train without mats ?? Just to see what happens ;)

• Advertisement

Nope. Dont train without mats. Not sure why we would. It would increase the risk of injury and be less fun.

As far as this takedown goes its a pretty low impact takedown and as such neither the headlocker or headlockee runs a risk of injury on concrete or blacktop.

I originally learnt breakfalls on concrete in KF :D and when I went to HKD and had matts...I thought it was lovely ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Cheers Colm, I like it. The best I've seen so far, not sure about a taking a larger stronger opp down with it but it's still pretty nifty.

Dabhal

Have done drunken tarmac and concrete breakfalls. Hilarious when drunk -not so hilarious the next day! :D

Do ye ever train without mats ?? Just to see what happens

No, it would just be sore.

Mats or no mats, protective equipment or not, the body mechanics and dynamics of fighting remain constant.

We're training for up to two hours everyday (skill development) so we like to keep our bodies safe and injury free. If you were in a fight and went to the ground, you won't be there for hours on end, just a few minutes at max. Sure your knees will be grazed a little bit but you'll feel that later. Also, grazed/bruised knees are not a priority in a "street fight", survival and stabilisation are.

Colm

I was'int attacking it lads ! Just asking the question ?

But I have found when X-training with Judo lads that when we trained on a hard floor in our civies they had to modify there breakfalls to cut down on bumps and scraps. But I know constant training, requires mats :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Im2lazy, to answer your question:

Although I don't really use the escape from standing myself, if you look at the last photo, you'll notice that Colm (Zen) is in a prime position to stand up and stomp some head. Wanderleiiiiiii...

pma-ire, I occasionally train without mats, it's a good laugh. Certainly more fun than being stuck in the face with a pipe.

Also, LMAO at ColumOK's Royce impression in the first picture!

Also, LMAO at ColumOK's Royce impression in the first picture!

People say I dont punch! I PUNCH YOU!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

You watch you mouth, call me lame.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Millionaire

Yes good technique.

The only thing I see, if you go to the ground so quick, and I am just talking about the street (personally I am not interested in any other than street ) .
    you pin him down, and then his mate kicks your head in.

Your head is a total open target, if there is any buddies about. I've seen it happen before more than once.

I certainly recognise the fact, that in street encounters there is a strong chance you will end up on the ground if not ended quick. I don't think it is a good idea to aim at hitting the ground first.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Most BJJ practitioners recognise this, and advocate good stand up-training aswell. Much as any free thinking stand up trainer would advocate getting a ground game too.

That's unless you're training for sport, fun or the pure enjoyment. Then just do whatever floats yer boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭dabhal

Yes good technique.

The only thing I see, if you go to the ground so quick, and I am just talking about the street (personally I am not interested in any other than street ) .

Your head is a total open target, if there is any buddies about. I've seen it happen before more than once.

I certainly recognise the fact, that in street encounters there is a strong chance you will end up on the ground if not ended quick. I don't think it is a good idea to aim at hitting the ground first.

Cheers

As opposed to being in the headlock and him kicking you in the head/body?
    If this happened and this technique applied and worked no-one is going to hang around on the ground, you would be on your feet asap and running.
    You may well get a kick in the head on the way up but what else can you do here? You are just as likely to get kicked/punched in the head while still in the headlock.

Dabhal

dabhal wrote:
    As opposed to being in the headlock and him kicking you in the head/body?
    If this happened and this technique applied and worked no-one is going to hang around on the ground, you would be on your feet asap and running.
    You may well get a kick in the head on the way up but what else can you do here? You are just as likely to get kicked/punched in the head while still in the headlock.

Dabhal

No. what I mean is, you should not seek to hit the ground in a street fight as your first option. go for an escape option, that will leave up standing. there is plenty of options.

If you hit the ground with someone and they got a vicious buddy (s) around, they will be all on you in a flash, you will not get a sec to try and get up.

Lads,

I don't think we sould knock the technique on this thread. As the two boys were great to put it together and present it. ;)

If we have to have a conversation about Street Philosophy, then start another thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Well, I think if the lads put it up, and they're confident about it, then why not allow people to try to pick holes in it and answer them? As we know from the Krav Maga thread, people are curious and good questions stimulate debate. (although that thread got out of hand and personal)

I don't think Millionaire was attacking or slagging he just asked a question, and its one I'm sure the lads have heard a thousand times before but that doesn't mean he's not entitled to it.

• Advertisement

Yes of course. I am not slagging. the pics are a great effort, and its a great move.

Is just a good natured question, to try and learn more. If we do not challenge our lives with questions (in any ares of life) there is no growth.

The reason I pick the on the ground issuse, is back when I was a kid of 18, year ago I get picked on my a few thugs!!!! at the time my fancy movies almost got me killed, and two thugs kicked the head off me on the pavement, when I tried to hit the ground. in was very nasty. thats why in a street situation it is the very last place I am going to be. though of course I train for it too.

Personally and I am going to mention this once and only once, and I will not be answering any questions on this or comments, as it is not a nice subject, but in the real world you got one chance if that. On a lock like that I would be working in a very aggressive gouge and bite mode. remember this guy (the attacker) or buddies could potentially kill or maime you, so I am not going to squander my one and all chance.....ggggggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
    enough said!

Well I'll try and answer a few of the questions. I had Colm in a headlock and he brought me to ground, escaped and could be on his feet in a few seconds. Theres no hanging around. I qould consider the escape we have shown to be a solid escape. Many other headlock escapes I have seen involve arterial grabs, testical death grips, eye interference, wandering fingers and meridian strikes. There is nothing to prevent you striking as much testical as you like while doing an escape like this to maybe expedite your escape. Id like to see a method of getting out of a really tight headlock that doesnt involve going to ground.

If theres more than one guy and your in a headlock you are shagged. You do what you can but the likelihood is youre screwed. You can be less screwed by having good striking, good clinch and good ground and maybe you'll have an opportunity to make an opening and leggit.

Anyway hypothetical/hyposchmetical. This is a way out of a 1 on 1 headlock that works. Try it out. Figure out how to escape from a one person headlock before worrying about fighting 15 people!

Roper wrote:
    Well, I think if the lads put it up, and they're confident about it, then why not allow people to try to pick holes in it and answer them? As we know from the Krav Maga thread, people are curious and good questions stimulate debate. (although that thread got out of hand and personal)

I don't think Millionaire was attacking or slagging he just asked a question, and its one I'm sure the lads have heard a thousand times before but that doesn't mean he's not entitled to it.

Point taken. But I don't think the way the KM thread went is the way we should let things get on here. I something is posted like this (an application for training) then it should be taken as that. Discussing the best way to this or that should be posted anew.

Just MHO :D

I don't think we sould knock the technique on this thread.
    Any and all criticisms and questions welcomed. The whole ethos of what we do at SBGi is to question what we know and what we think we know. An outside perspective can always help.

a) I did not pin him down.
    b) There is no way to deal with multiple opponents effectively. (We do this from time to time: result - I wish I wasn't there!)
    c) why is your interest so street orientated? To me it's cool if someone wants to learn self defence and not compete, but to make a distinction between competition techniques and street techniques shows a misunderstanding of how sd/ma work.
    Anyway hypothetical/hyposchmetical. This is a way out of a 1 on 1 headlock that works. Try it out. Figure out how to escape from a one person headlock before worrying about fighting 15 people!

Good point. If someone could put up a headlock escape that doesn't involve the dreded ground scenario that we could test that would rock. Also, as for the dirty tactics try reading Paul Sharp's Street Vs Sport Q&A (scroll down, it's the 2nd last article).

Peace and Love Y'All,
    Colm

a) I did not pin him down.

Your still on top of him on the ground, you'll get a boot in the face before you will even think of getting up. (now refering only to street here, it is an outstanding technique if your talking in the ring). If your on the ground and there is mroe than one, your dead. I 've seen this a few time, and as I said had it done to me...so i know!

b) There is no way to deal with multiple opponents effectively. (We do this from time to time: result - I wish I wasn't there!)

Yes your right, but you have a hell of a better chance, if your on your feet after your escape, to heal with another attacker, or even run for your life.

c) why is your interest so street orientated? To me it's cool if someone wants to learn self defence and not compete,

These days I am only interested in street orientated techniqes that work. My view is if I cannot defend myself on the street then I have wasted 21 years (ok i've in in and out fora few years) training. Also I have been there done that on the competition side, FC Kickboxing mainly. and today competition training just don't interest me anymore. I guess I have limited training time there days, so I want to keep it for real life situations..God forbid!

but to make a distinction between competition techniques and street techniques shows a misunderstanding of how sd/ma work.

This I do not feel is 100% true. depends on what techniques. "style" etc. for example if your FC kickboxing , and one day your in a street situation, and you punch someone bare knucle, its a very different effect than knocking some one out with 16 oz gloves in sparring. in fact you might even break your hand.

As I said its a personal preference of mine to think street only and KM here does that for me. competition is great if you have the time and energy to put into it. my days of doing road work at 630 am are long gone....and I do not miss them either!

• Advertisement

I was'int trying to keep the SBG lads safe :rolleyes: like they need it.

I was just saying that I think the merrits of any thing should be discussed on a stand alone thread. Threads can tend to flow in and out of topic to much and loose the meaning that they were started in. :D

Nice post Millionaire ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

logic1 wrote:

.logic.

colm is a lot smaller than me (i'm roughly between 17 and 18 stone ) but himself and two king mick are capable of performing this technique on me and slamming me in general , i hope that clears that particlular point up !
    :)

Your still on top of him on the ground, you'll get a boot in the face before you will even think of getting up. (now refering only to street here, it is an outstanding technique if your talking in the ring). If your on the ground and there is mroe than one, your dead. I 've seen this a few time, and as I said had it done to me...so i know!

To repeat my previous point- if you have an proven alternative to going to ground I'd love to see it. Done properly you can be on your feet in a second of two.
    Yes your right, but you have a hell of a better chance, if your on your feet after your escape, to heal with another attacker, or even run for your life.
    Yes but the starting point of this hypothetical is a headlock, something you cant run from without escaping. BJJ guys dont advocate going to ground on a whim when facing crowds of murderous thugs. We just know what to do when we get there as most fights end up there!
    These days I am only interested in street orientated techniqes that work. My view is if I cannot defend myself on the street then I have wasted 21 years (ok i've in in and out fora few years) training. Also I have been there done that on the competition side, FC Kickboxing mainly. and today competition training just don't interest me anymore. I guess I have limited training time there days, so I want to keep it for real life situations..God forbid!
    In my opinion continuing the FC Kickboxing and mixing it with some judo, wrestling or bjj is the best way for you to develop your SD skills.
    This I do not feel is 100% true. depends on what techniques. "style" etc. for example if your FC kickboxing , and one day your in a street situation, and you punch someone bare knucle, its a very different effect than knocking some one out with 16 oz gloves in sparring. in fact you might even break your hand.
    A punch is a punch. I agree that boxing gloves protect the hand and teach a certain type of punching. Maybe you should look at MMA or Vale Tudo gloves. They dont prevent wrists breaking and are purely to prevent cuts being opened. They are very light and allow grappling. I use the Rogues! ML Sports MMA Gloves This has resulted in MMA hand striking heading off in a different direction from boxing.
    As I said its a personal preference of mine to think street only and KM here does that for me. competition is great if you have the time and energy to put into it. my days of doing road work at 630 am are long gone....and I do not miss them either!
    I appreciate that being attacked has put you in a position where you are afraid for your safety. Ive been messed up myself and know what it feels like. What I would say is that to focus on the fear of "street combat" has a very negative impact on your life. I think that training in "lethal" or "for the street" activities is really a waste of time when there are so many more rewarding things to do with your life. Not trying to be preachy so sorry if I come off that way. I think life is too short to be worrying about the next attacker or mugger. Better to forget about it, dont get into to stupid dangerous situations and have fun! :)

So what's the different technique of punching someone between a boxing ring, mma style environment, or street?

Just another note, a lot of people are talking about this being a ring only/mat only technique. If someone tried to put me in an arm free headlock in the ring I'd be laughing. It's something a beginner does, because it is not that secure, the risk of someone taking your back is great, and there's not a whole lot you can do from there.

Peace and Love Y'All,
    Colm

On a lock like that I would be working in a very aggressive gouge and bite mode. remember this guy (the attacker) or buddies could potentially kill or maime you, so I am not going to squander my one and all chance.....ggggggrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

When my "posing partner" :D gets back from his holiday we'll get something done which should address this.I've a few ideas I'm trying to work out how best to show in pics.A couple are nasty and a few ,while performed in defense of self, may be seen by the Gardai as a serious assault! This is probably part of the distinction most of the lads are making when they compare the ring to "the Street"?
    We just know what to do when we get there as most fights end up there!

I see this quoted a lot in this type of debate.Where does this statistic come from? To the best of my knowledge it's a result of an LAPD study of arrests.This means it was cops taking people to the ground to restrain and cuff them,like we've all seen on "Cops".Does this mean that not "All" fights will go to the deck,or even that high a percentage of them necessarily will?

""The LAPD's Reality Check"
    Los Angeles Times Magazine (12/13/98) P. 22; Cray, Dan

Greg Dossey of the Los Angeles Police Department is revolutionizing law enforcement confrontation techniques, starting with his troubled hometown force.

Dossey bases his new training program on the findings from his University of Southern California Doctoral thesis, which found that a substantial number of arrests that involved force could have been prevented or handled better if the officers had been more well-trained.

His approach differs from traditional police confrontation training in the way officers are taught to maintain control of the situation. The most striking finding Dossey uncovered was that two-thirds [actually 62% in the original report apparently] of all altercations with suspects take place with both parties on the ground, a contingency for which the LAPD was all but unprepared.

Other tactics, such as placing a "firm grip" on the suspect's arm, tended to engender fights that otherwise might not have taken place. Dossey has replaced these old-fashioned methods with a combination of prevention, teamwork, and martial arts training, and all LAPD officers are now required to undergo Dossey's 40-hour training course and be re-certified every 18 months.

The program seems to be producing results: since its introduction last year, less than 1 percent of arrests have involved force--compared to the previous six-year average of 1.7 percent--injury rates fell 19 percent, and brutality rates dropped 13 percent.

Some groups are still skeptical, considering the LAPD's reputation, but others have faith.
    In addition to continued support from the LAPD leadership, Dossey has been recruited to put on his training seminars for 65 police departments, the FBI, the DEA, and the Navy Seals."

What I would say is that to focus on the fear of "street combat" has a very negative impact on your life.

I don't think being aware of a possiblity means you are in constant fear of it.We all know muggings happen,but I am not worried all the time that I will be mugged.
    A punch is a punch.

But a palm heel strike is less likely to result in a boxers fracture,for example.
    We all know what elbows and knees do to heads,especially when the would be mugger doesn't know how to guard at that range!
    I think life is too short to be worrying about the next attacker or mugger. Better to forget about it, dont get into to stupid dangerous situations and have fun!

You need not worry constantly about being mugged or assaulted.I would not forget about it and switch off altogether either.I think anyone scanning for a potential victim will find someone wandering around not taking any notice of who's around or what they are up to a much more tempting target.
    Muggers and such are lazy and want the least amount of effort for the greatest gain.Tackling a young fit guy who's seen him coming and is keeping an eye on him is not a good day at the office for most opportunistic thieves.

Sorry for the long post again lads and I hope to get the pics up soonest.

Train hard and Stay safe.

So what's the different technique of punching someone between a boxing ring, mma style environment, or street?

Limited Personal experience: coming from a jj/aikido background i cant strike for love nor money, but the guys i train with use some modified boxing routines so ive started learning some basics. I found that when i hit the pads in light bag gloves im guaranteed to f**k eventually up and hurt my wrist or thumb, no such problem with boxing gloves though, they seem to cover up my crappy technique.

Ive heard a few horror stories about head shots going wrong in the street that give me reservations about the idea. Like a mate of mine who punched a guy in the mouth and ripped his knuckles open on the guys braces :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Bambi wrote:
    Limited Personal experience: coming from a jj/aikido background i cant strike for love nor money, but the guys i train with use some modified boxing routines so ive started learning some basics. I found that when i hit the pads in light bag gloves im guaranteed to f**k eventually up and hurt my wrist or thumb, no such problem with boxing gloves though, they seem to cover up my crappy technique.

Ive heard a few horror stories about head shots going wrong in the street that give me reservations about the idea. Like a mate of mine who punched a guy in the mouth and ripped his knuckles open on the guys braces :eek:

Friend of mine broke his hand off a scumbags face when a bunch of 'em jumped him and his girlfriend. His hand still hurts 2 years later.

At the end of the day elbows are for hitting people in the face. Less likely to break......

And now that i think of it, a next door neighbour once hit some idiot outside a nightclub who was at his girlfriend, cut one of his fingers on one of the lads teeth. Got a nasty infection.

hmm, i remember reading once the most common injuries going tru casualty wards due to fights was busted hands/wrists. Pretty damn sure that aint from wristlocks :D

One of my uncles knuckles was pushed back an inch into his hand from digging some dude, loadsa horror stories

Incidentally one of the neato things about the col(u)mses photo series is the deniability, it seems like they just fell over and colm stood up, which probably looks much better to witnesses/guards/judges etc than digging somone repeatedly

We should hope that training will sharpen our targeting so that the risk of opening yourself up on some @holes head won't hold you back.

On hand techs that hurt back. An old pal of mine was bouncing on the door of Sir Henrys in Cork City and got in a heated discussion that required punchuation. But he said to himself "I'll use heel palms instead of fists to save myself". The first heel to the face landed in the other guys mouth and sunk two teeth into his palm. Which had to be removed in the local A&E dept.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Bambi wrote:
    hmm, i remember reading once the most common injuries going tru casualty wards due to fights was busted hands/wrists. Pretty damn sure that aint from wristlocks :D

Im sure some of that is people landing on their hands trying to break a fall as well :-) especially if they are half drunk!

• Advertisement
Advertisement