Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Google make money?

Options
  • 07-01-2005 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Is it just from sponsers whose links are shown on the right-hand side after a search?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also for being the engine that powers the "search" functions on other sites, such as AOL search etc

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I imagine most of it is from adwords. You register a search term for your site, and pay whatever you think its worth (say $100). If someone searches for that word, your site comes up at the top of the list. But then someone else can come along with the same word and pay $101. They'll appear higher in the list. So companies can get caught in a bidding war to appear highest in the list. I imagine there are companies paying 4 or 5 figures (a month!) for certain words!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I remember the time I had Google's adwords on my website it was costing me Euro 100 a month. So then I qualified for google's adsence Campaign, and one was nearly paying for the other then! Great!

Advertisement