Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW drivers ?

Options
  • 07-01-2005 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

What is it with BMW drivers ?

Most of them seem to be the most arrogant, rude and downright ignorant motorists on Irish roads.

I consider myself to be a courteous and patient driver, but I find myself regularly (slightly) speeding up in traffic rather than stop and letting out BMW's from side roads :D

I do it almost automatically/unconsiously whenever I see a BMW trying to emerge into traffic !

Even the other day, I held a post office door (for quite a few seconds) for a guy who had just emerged from a 7 series BMW. He never said, 'Cheers', 'Thanks' or otherwise - he just gave me an arrogant stare !! I just thought - "A##h##e!'

I acknowledge that not only BMW drivers can be rude - but it just seems to a common trait for them !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Silvera wrote:
    What is it with BMW drivers ?

Even the other day, I held a post office door (for quite a few seconds) for a guy who had just emerged from a 7 series BMW. He never said, 'Cheers', 'Thanks' or otherwise - he just gave me an arrogant stare !! I just thought - "A##h##e!'

unkel!:eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

I second that Silvera, sooner BMW starts putting indicators as standard in their cars the better :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'd consider myself a fairly courteous driver on the road, I've never had any problems with most other Bimmer drivers, must be a kind of automotive secret handshake we have :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Most people I know say that about BMW and Merc drivers. Alot of people wont let them out in trafic as a rule of thumb!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Generally I'd say the opposite - BMWs are some of the best driven cars on the road. Of course you get plenty of morons driving them but I think you get less than with other makes. I can't remember the last time I saw a BMW involved in a crash and one great thing about Beamer drivers is they don't usually hang about and hold you up unlike eejits in diesel VW Ventos who hog the white line at 40 mph on N roads.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

What a dumb post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i feel the same, and the same goes for people driving 4*4's!!!! namely Land Rovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BrianD3 wrote:
    Generally I'd say the opposite - BMWs are some of the best driven cars on the road. Of course you get plenty of morons driving them but I think you get less than with other makes. I can't remember the last time I saw a BMW involved in a crash and one great thing about Beamer drivers is they don't usually hang about and hold you up unlike eejits in diesel VW Ventos who hog the white line at 40 mph on N roads.

BrianD3

In my experience , the bad BMW drivers tend to own a 3 series . People who can afford 5 or 7 series don't need to pretend that they are successful :p But in the real world there are only bad drivers , it's not the car's fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    i feel the same, and the same goes for people driving 4*4's!!!! namely Land Rovers!

Is it just me or is there alot of blond women driving huge Land Rovers? I know it sounds odd but I just keep seeing them (or maybe just keep seeing the same ones!).

Rew wrote:
    Is it just me or is there alot of blond women driving huge Land Rovers? I know it sounds odd but I just keep seeing them (or maybe just keep seeing the same ones!).
    mmm, never really noticed that before but i have seen the odd one yes

• Advertisement

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    Would ban these completely, no useful input to society at all.

This argument makes no sense!
    If i go off in the morning and buy a bmw do i suddenly become a bad and ignorant driver?
    No i stay an irratic italian car driver :p
    Its all stereotyping!

is_that_so wrote:
    Would ban these completely, no useful input to society at all.
    ah yeah but you know how deep puddles get these days, we should ALL be driving Land Rovers in the inner city:D

This argument makes no sense!
    If i go off in the morning and buy a bmw do i suddenly become a bad and ignorant driver?
    That depends on how you drive :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rew wrote:
    There's a primary school 50 meters from my door and come chucking out time, there's a constant line of badly parked X5's, Rav4's and M Class Mercs, all driven by blondes with sunglasses on top of their head, no matter what the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In my experience , the bad BMW drivers tend to own a 3 series . People who can afford 5 or 7 series don't need to pretend that they are successful But in the real world there are only bad drivers , it's not the car's fault.
    My take* on it is:

7 series drivers - often older managing director/CEO types who spend more time playing golf than working. Have nothing to prove to anyone about how rich they are or how big their c*ck is, so don't tend to drive very aggressively

5 series drivers - managerial tyes who are under pressure in work to meet their targets. Always in a hurry to get to some meeting so tend to drive aggressively

3 series drivers - often arrogant little w*nkers in their twenties who think they know it all. Like to boast about their ultimate driving machine (aka 316i) down the pub, may be insecure about the size of their c*ck

X5 drivers: rich yummy mummies. Not aggressive, just incompetent.

Z4 drivers: rich wives in their late forties. may be on some feminist crusade to prove that they're better than any man.

*not meant to be taken seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Silvera wrote:
    I consider myself to be a courteous and patient driver, but I find myself regularly (slightly) speeding up in traffic rather than stop and letting out BMW's from side roads :D

I do it almost automatically/unconsiously whenever I see a BMW trying to emerge into traffic !

Oh dear :rolleyes:

Who is
    Silvera wrote:
    the most arrogant, rude and downright ignorant motorist
    there, Silvera?

It's time for some serious self-reflection. Perhaps it's time for some professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

actually Brian your pretty accurate on that one ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BrianD3 wrote:
    5 series drivers - managerial tyes who are under pressure in work to meet their targets. Always in a hurry to get to some meeting so tend to drive aggressively

3 series drivers - often arrogant little w*nkers in their twenties who think they know it all. Like to boast about their ultimate driving machine (aka 316i) down the pub, may be insecure about the size of their c*ck
    I recently got rid of my 3 for a 5. Does this mean Im now a managerial type who isn't insecure about my cock? :D

In fairness and Im not speaking for other BMW drivers, but I would think Im relatively courteous towards other motorists [I usually allow other cars pull in front of me (including trucks & busses), I acknowledge other drivers courteousness, etc.]. I also managed to learn what them orange lights are for on the sides of my car! :D
    I occasionally find other drivers inconsiderate towards me unnecessarily (e.g. deliberatley not letting me change lane when they can see me indicating etc.) but its water off a ducks back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I sense there's the need for a support group, I'm just not sure if it should be for BMW drivers or those who loath them!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

is_that_so wrote:
    ....... don't need to pretend that they are successful :p But in the real world there are only bad drivers , it's not the car's fault.

do you predict rain too?

anyway, bmw story again, i had kind of similar opinion but

you get dipsticks driving every make of the cars and not ony bmw's, maybe some drivers get free ego injection when buying BMW but few f3ckers in starlets GT's must get NOS injectors in the ar$e or something and fall to the same basket showing no respect to other road users and right foot super glued to the floor.

so can we cut the crap ,people driving buses act the fool too, i can think about hundred other makes of the cars and their drivers and yes

their behaviour will be slightly different, it would be very hard to act the same way in your bmw as in big pajero jeep going over the foot paths and road islands , knocking mirrors down with bullbars in local car park.

so if your are a muppet it doesn't matter what you drive.

it never seen before that bmw user complained about other bmw user or civic driver complained about civic guy.

it's all in your heads, stop it and focus on the road and new metric system

Gmodified wrote:
    do you predict rain too?

anyway, bmw story again, i had kind of similar opinion but

you get dipsticks driving every make of the cars and not ony bmw's, maybe some drivers get free ego injection when buying BMW but few f3ckers in starlets GT's must get NOS injectors in the ar$e or something and fall to the same basket showing no respect to other road users and right foot super glued to the floor.

so can we cut the crap ,people driving buses act the fool too, i can think about hundred other makes of the cars and their drivers and yes

their behaviour will be slightly different, it would be very hard to act the same way in your bmw as in big pajero jeep going over the foot paths and road islands , knocking mirrors down with bullbars in local car park.

so if your are a muppet it doesn't matter what you drive.

it never seen before that bmw user complained about other bmw user or civic driver complained about civic guy.

it's all in your heads, stop it and focus on the road and new metric system

I am taking it from this post that you basically agree with me but I know nothing about rain , sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I said most BMW drivers are rude, arrogant, 'up themselves' etc. etc.

I have always let people out from side streets/roads when in traffic, and NOT ONCE has a BMW driver acknowledged this courtesy. So now when I see a BMW waiting, it's a case of "tough pal, you can wait ! " :D

It's a pity really, I like BM's and would consider buying one in the future if it were not for the reputation that comes with owning one.

Silvera wrote:
    I said most BMW drivers are rude, arrogant, 'up themselves' etc. etc.

I have always let people out from side streets/roads when in traffic, and NOT ONCE has a BMW driver acknowledged this courtesy. So now when I see a BMW waiting, it's a case of "tough pal, you can wait ! " :D

It's a pity really, I like BM's and would consider buying one in the future if it were not for the reputation that comes with owning one.

What reputation is there only the crap talk on this thread!
    If you want to buy into all that crap fair enough your seriously cutting down on your choice of motor in the long run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

bmw would be very far down the list of cars i'd want tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

they make a few nice cars though, the old 5 series was nice and the pre 01 7 series is lovely.
    better reliability than merc which have gone down the pan apparently.
    the 3 is bmws biggest conjob. i saw a program on it one day and they said the 3series offers the higest profiatability margin of any car in the world. it costs as little as a golf to make ansd they sell it for twice a golfs price.
    the 3 isnt really a bmw at all, its just a badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

its not that the cars arnt well made, its just that its something i dont want to be seen in....along with a merc.

What im saying is if you live by all the different stereotypes placed on different car manafacturers then youll pushing yourself away from a lot of brands for no sensible reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

ever see the mothers collecting there kids or doing their shooping in Mitsubishi L200's ? now we have people driving the largest car (if they can be called that.. even though there classed as comercial vehicles) who usually couldn't drive a nail, driving tanks.. Is there any need for pickups for doing the shopping? Do you really but that much shopping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lomb wrote:
    the 3 is bmws biggest conjob. i saw a program on it one day and they said the 3series offers the higest profiatability margin of any car in the world

Saw some profitability stats about BMW in general and the 3 series in particular a few years ago and indeed the margin on the 3 series is huge. First thought might be to call it a rip-off but it generally is still good value for money compared to other cars. I don't know or care how / why it doesn't cost much more to produce than a Golf. It is a superior car (compared to same Golf). Also victory to a family held company as opposed to the global giants like Daimler-Chrysler...
    lomb wrote:
    the pre 01 7 series is lovely
    Sorry, missed your prompt on that other thread. Mine's a late '96 E38 735iA V8 und loving it :D

Advertisement