Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samurai Champloo

Options
  • 08-01-2005 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

Anybody been watching this? It's the new anime series by Watanabe Shinichiro (Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne). The action is very similar to Bebop, except with samurais and a hip-hop soundtrack. Fantastic so far.

First DVD is out next week on R1, comes in a box edition (with bandana!). Looking foward.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Yeah watched a few eps - really like it!

Will most certanly be buying once it makes R2

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Grand_Izer

pre-ordered volume 1 from dvdpacific and received a shipping confirmation last week...

/me waits impatiently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

It's a pretty good series but quite episodic with a lot of filler. Personally I feel at this stage they could easily have made it as a 13 episode series.

Plotwise it has barely moved beyond the first episode. The characters have developed slightly with some background information on Jin and Mugen

The opening rap is strained. It's probably as stylish as hell in Japan, but to my ears it sounds "off".

Enough of the negative. I like the style. It's a perfect balance of action, seriousness and comedy. The fighting style goes beyond shots of the characters with a moving lines background and is beautifully coregraphed when the budget permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Ive only seen the first episode, but I was blown away!!
    Its the best opening to a series ive ever seen and makes me want to buy the series without even seeing the rest first!!
    The fight scenes are mixed so perfectly with the excellent soundtrack and your actually bopping along throughout the whole episode!!

Anyone know where to find any downloads?? Non torrent!!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

LanceStorm wrote:
    Anyone know where to find any downloads?? Non torrent!!

The series is licensed; as such no discussion of where to download it is permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

This is an excellent series. The story does move along a bit slowly though. I mean by episode 17 you still only know as much about the "sunflower samurai" as you did in episode 1. However I do really enjoy the interaction between the main characters, especially mugen and jin.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Zakalwe wrote:
    The opening rap is strained. It's probably as stylish as hell in Japan, but to my ears it sounds "off".

Heh...I actually kinda like it, especially the bit near the end where theres a couple random piano riffs thrown in, sounds ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

just watched episodes 1-17 over the last two days, very impressed by it (hated the opening rap though :) ). Jin absolutely rocks. Really looking forward to future episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

It pretty much ends after that cause it's been licensed. the next time were going to see anything is when it comes out on dvd or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

I love it, I have to say. Both Jin and Mugen are awesome characters, the music is perfectly placed, even if the opening rap is a bit off :D and even though the it isn't fast moving, and there is a lot of filler, it's incredibley enjoyable and riveting at most points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭saado

Kain wrote:
    It pretty much ends after that cause it's been licensed. the next time were going to see anything is when it comes out on dvd or something.
    No, the series just changed networks, episode 18 has aired in good old Nihon, but no sign of subs yet. Though, I have seen spanish fansubs floating around.

Edit: Scratch that, its been subbed :D
    Edit 2: Leave off the Op. its fantastic, funky ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

if you want a trial copy of it off me then just ask...just remember to watch it and then delete the copies and buy the original...just like me

Advertisement