Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a cat.

• 08-01-2005 2:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get a cat in the near future.

I'd prefer to adopt from an animal shelter, but since I have no car available to me how likely are they to let me take one home?

I live in the suburbs and Rathfarnham isn't very close to where I live so my only options are public transport or taxi.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

keep an eye on the local papers, plus ask friends,
    someone always knows someone with kittens!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

One piece of advice I can give you is don't pick a cat before others just because that particular one comes walking up to you purring. Firstly because that cat is likely to be picked by others and so has a smaller chance of being put down and secondly because when you pick a cat that isn't immediately forward the improvement of the cats attitude towards you can be really rewarding. Thats what I found with my cat anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

sickle wrote:
    keep an eye on the local papers, plus ask friends,
    someone always knows someone with kittens!!
    I wish that was the case! Any friends with cats have had the cats neutered.

I've been watching the local papers, but no ads for kittens, maybe this time of year might see an increase in ads though.

I'm in the Leixlip area of anyone knows of someone giving away kittens!

One piece of advice I can give you is don't pick a cat before others just because that particular one comes walking up to you purring. Firstly because that cat is likely to be picked by others and so has a smaller chance of being put down and secondly because when you pick a cat that isn't immediately forward the improvement of the cats attitude towards you can be really rewarding. Thats what I found with my cat anyway.
    Thanks for that :)

All advice is welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

when you pick a cat that isn't immediately forward the improvement of the cats attitude towards you can be really rewarding. Thats what I found with my cat anyway.

Hell yeah! A lot of cats don't like strangers but when they get to know you, they're so loving! Most of my cats are like that. Everyone thinks my cat is horrible cos she runs away from them, but when she sees me she comes running up to me and can't be affectionate enough!

The Buy&Sell has kitten ads atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

cats are great, you wont regret it. be prepared to treat the cat as if its a human member of the household because it will end up like that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

If you get a cat please try and stop it from defecating all over your non-cat-owning neighbours' gardens.

Magpie, we had a neighbour who had about seventy cats, they gave most of the local kids ring-worm and used to defecate all over our gardens.

Some of the neighbours went on to Live Line etc. to get them to sort it out because there was nothing else that they could do.

I think enough time has passed since then for me to be safe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Amz wrote:
    I've been watching the local papers, but no ads for kittens, maybe this time of year might see an increase in ads though.
    yeah. a few lines of catnip on christmas eve and then BAM!
    9 weeks later a litter of kittens

i've seen it many a time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭morgana

The best thing is to have a look at http://board.irishanimals.ie and check out the Homes Needed section. There should be plenty of cats in need of a good home, look out for posts by Lilith, she runs a kitten adoption service in Dublin and is also EXTREMELY knowledgeable in all matters cat.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I'll check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Miles

I got mine from the animal shelter. Never looked back they are great pets.

There's a shelter in Sallins which is quite near to me, a friend has offered to drive me down there to have a chat and maybe pick out a kitten.

We'll see how it goes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are hundreds of kittens and cats looking for homes, god idea to contact cats aid of kitten adoption. You will also have any questions you have answered. Very experienced. Glad to hear all your friends have had their cats neutered :) don't worry sadly not enough people neuter and spay and kitten adoption and cats aid and many other rescues are chocoblock all the time and are always looking for loving, responsible homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Magpie, we had a neighbour who had about seventy cats, they gave most of the local kids ring-worm and used to defecate all over our gardens.

Some of the neighbours went on to Live Line etc. to get them to sort it out because there was nothing else that they could do.

Tell me about it. I went to Woodies yesterday to see what I could get to help. While you can get slug poison, rat poison and mouse poison for some reason you can't get cat poison, and for my money they're the most unhygienic pests of the lot. I had to content myself with some organic pepper stuff that they will probably laugh at, then sh1t on.

What happened to the days when they drowned kittens by the bagful?

Anyone who wants a cat can come and catch one of the mangy, wild, knacker cats that infest my garden.

If people would take more responsibility for their pet cats there wouldnt be this problem. Trap netuer and release of feral cats is a way to combat it, I find your comment offensive and irresposible Magpie, rescues are doing the best they can and have limited resources. It's up to Joe Public to take responsibility for their animals welfare and care. We certainly don't need to be encouraging people by 'drowing kittens' god knows there is enough cruelty going on in this country without stupid comments like that!.

*end of posts on this thread*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

magpie wrote:

What happened to the days when they drowned kittens by the bagful?

QUOTE]

i am a big fan of cats, but they breed like mad. there's nothing cruel about drowning kittens that are day or two old. neutering is better though, but not a whole lot less cruel when you think of it.

as for feral cats, they really should be exterminated. they are vermin and can wreak havoc on wild bird and small mammal populations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spalk0

Amz wrote:

I think enough time has passed since then for me to be safe :)

My sister got a male cat years ago!quite big now!Is the spitting image of felix the cat to be honest!

We had dogs before and to be honest i prefer the cat much more!far less messy!

One thing, be prepared for it bringing in small birds or mice that are still alive(they usually like to play with their live food for a while before eating them,ie. letting them go only to catch them again!)
    A way to solve that is put a bell collar on the cat!

Also i dunno whether its just our cat but we find asleep in the strangest of places!hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Lets take this back on topic, Amz is looking for places to get a cat.

Drowning kittens *is* cruel, just becuase they're a day or two old doesn't make it okay.

Now, seriously, can we go back on topic, and less talk about how to murder cats?

Paws in Sallins only have dogs, a trip to Rathfarnham is probably on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jahl

My girlfriend and I recently got a kitten from Cataid (i think the website is cataid.ie) and it turned out great. They're a great bunch of people, we live in the city centre and couldn't travel so the lady dropped the kitten out to us and provided us with all the info we needed. The best thing is they keep all the cats until they get homed so theres no guilt if you decide not to pick a specific cat.
    anyway thats my two cent!

Cool thanks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

i have just got a little feral kitten, he is being trained and looked after at present as we did not want to bring the cat into the house untrained with a 2 year old destroying the place. i have done loads of reading and think this will be ok but one of the reason was to show my little boy he is not the only living creature on the planet who needs attention?? also i have wanted a kitten for ages but have only been allowed one from the boss as her nans feral cat had kittens and it was a good chance to home them.

hope all goes ok???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

LoL getting a feral cat to like you. this can take years of give and take. they take you give! Still it's worth it after 3 years they finally deign to snooze on your lap for 3 minutes. I like dogs but you just can't beat the arrogance of a cat !

Brookie ..contact kitten adoption if you have any problems or questions, she has loads of experience with dealing with feral cats and kittens or even just for general question you might have.

Hi
    all seems to be going on with the kittens, i can now pick up and hold "Achilles" with him bolting away, he was very calm about it.

He is in the Anicare unit on Malahide Road for a week as I am away so it will be all systems go when we get back as we pick him up and bring home on return.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

ask someone for a lift?
    thats what i did when i got my two kittens a few years ago.

cat cage is also good.

Hi Cajun, was that at my responce? we have a nice cage thanks, kitty not thinking its to hot though.

Advertisement