Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT: Good news thread

Options
  • 08-01-2005 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

90% of the threads on this board are about horrifying social tragedies against the homosexual community.

Why are we so worried about what all these bible bashers think?
    They want you to be worried and to be upset and shocked. Ignore them. They are small minded losers. Forget them.

Why cant we talk about good things that happen in the LGBT world (there must be some......i hope.......)

So here is to the first thread on happy LGBT things which will begin with the following topics of positiveness:

1) Colin Farell just did that Alexander movie, and although he might be a bit of a travesty the movie portrays homosexuality in a very matter of fact way, without making it a big deal.

2) The Young Green Party just finished a really cool campaign on same sex marriage. They are really pushing for it. And I think it is really cool of them to be so forward thinking. Link Click Here for Young Green Same Sex Marriage Views

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

90% of the threads on this board are about horrifying social tragedies against the homosexual community.

Can you show me how you came to this 90% figure please ? Is it 90% of current threads or 90% of all threads ?

Does this 90% include the threads where people are seeking advice ? Do you class those threads as not good news ?
    Ignore them. They are small minded losers. ...Forget them.

Why not hide under the covers too ? The minute you try and forget about those morons and hide from reality is the time when they become stronger. Knowing how to tackle those idiots strenghtens a community and prepares them for the real world.

If you want all happy threads to be put into one thread, won't that increase your so called 90% of negative threads ?
    Why cant we talk about good things that happen in the LGBT world (there must be some......i hope.......)

Your flippant remarks are a disservice to those that contribute a lot of time to this forum by aiding others and keeping it's readership up to date with current issues. Have some respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Of course the threads asking for advice are not bad news.
    The figure of 90% was pure hyperbole.

Dont be such a drama queen. I am not saying we should lie back and let all these weirdo bible bashers walk on us, i am just saying let them have their stupid idea's cos they are just that - stupid. There are some people you will never change.

And omg, i didnt mean that i didnt appreciate the important news that is posted. I mean it should be balanced out with some happy things too. There is no point in always complaining, there are times when the gay community makes leaps and bounds forward.

How can you empower a community of people when all they hear is about the hoardes of people opposing their lifestyle etc...???
    Wouldnt a more positive image of gay lifestyle also help the people who come here looking for support by showing them that the world is not just a horrible biggoted place.

Sorry if i caused offence but that it my view. maybe i put it badly. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I mean it should be balanced out with some happy things too. There is no point in always complaining, there are times when the gay community makes leaps and bounds forward.

Your inference is still insulting. Sounds to me you want people to censor the news so only happy stuff can be dished out here. Why don't we do that, not post anything negative at all, not talk about injustices going on. Why don't we just hand out prozac with our posts too ?

Let's live in the world of Will and Grace where everything is great. La la la la la la. I look forward to our daily dose of "Everything is great in the LGB world."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There is not enough self-flagellation on this thread.

Down with this sort of thing!

whats flagellation? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellation

Oh look it has it's own wikipedia entry. Failing that, I'm sure google would have given an answer. Try to use either of these very good internet resources before asking easily answered question.

Back to the issue in hand, 92% of negativity comes from 47% of hyperbole which is inaccurate. 36% of this negativity is endemic to 29% of threads. Of course we must also factor in the number of views of the thread as well as the number of replies before coming up with an accurate figure.

On another, more accurate note, the above figures are complete bollox. Some of the threads you mention are articles and news pieces that are "negative", and some that are "positive". Others are completely unrelated to the concept of positivity or negativity as Damien mentioned, and others are just mindless flagellation.

Your motives in posting this thread were probably well intentioned, but I can't help but feel that you're casting aspirations on the other posters here by implying that they're consistently negative.

As for Colin Farrell, I would recommend you watch A Home at the End of the World if you want to see him in a sexually ambiguous role. I haven't watched it personally yet, but I intend to sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Let's live in the world of Will and Grace where everything is great. La la la la la la. I look forward to our daily dose of "Everything is great in the LGB world."

*daydreams* :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Wow. Just wow. I've heard that queers can be drama queens but, seriously, come on people. I think some of you have just so gotten into the habit of self righteously attacking criticism that it's reflex now.

The original poster was trying to be positive, and I agree, I've been browsing these forums for a few years now and to be fair a huge amount of the threads in this forum are homosexuals explaining the ways in which their lives have gone very wrong. Not to mention the endless links to news paper sites with stories of beatings or conservative legislation. Thats not to say that people shouldn't ask for help, but it all still shows a very negative side of things.

Ironically, maybe you should be a little less quick to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am not saying we should lie back and let all these weirdo bible bashers walk on us, i am just saying let them have their stupid idea's cos they are just that - stupid. There are some people you will never change.
    Dude, unless you answer them, they won't change. Only by answering their quesions camly can you have any effect on them. As for the "let them have their stupid idea's"; they may be stupid, but if you ignore them, more "stupid" poeple will follow them. And how can they change, if you have an attitude such as "There are some people you will never change"???
    If your going to ignore the bible bashers, ignore the drama queens when you ask a question. At least one person will calmly answer your question, usually.

swiss wrote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellation

Oh look it has it's own wikipedia entry. Failing that, I'm sure google would have given an answer. Try to use either of these very good internet resources before asking easily answered question.

Back to the issue in hand, 92% of negativity comes from 47% of hyperbole which is inaccurate. 36% of this negativity is endemic to 29% of threads. Of course we must also factor in the number of views of the thread as well as the number of replies before coming up with an accurate figure.

On another, more accurate note, the above figures are complete bollox. Some of the threads you mention are articles and news pieces that are "negative", and some that are "positive". Others are completely unrelated to the concept of positivity or negativity as Damien mentioned, and others are just mindless flagellation.

Your motives in posting this thread were probably well intentioned, but I can't help but feel that you're casting aspirations on the other posters here by implying that they're consistently negative.

As for Colin Farrell, I would recommend you watch A Home at the End of the World if you want to see him in a sexually ambiguous role. I haven't watched it personally yet, but I intend to sometime.

Thanks sorry. I thought flagellation was a made up word. it sounded like one.

I am not implying anything. I am simply trying to promote some information about the more positive aspects of homosexual life. And there are loads. There are probably loads of people who use boards and who might be questioning their sexuality and might pop over to this board out of curiosity. It would be nice to present a balanced and fair picture of gay life. I understand there are a lot of things that happen in the world that are negative against gay people - and they shouldn't be overlooked.
    Anyway, if i did offend anyone or cast any aspersions, i am sorry.

Thanks for the Colin Farell info :)
    the syco wrote:
    Dude, unless you answer them, they won't change. Only by answering their quesions camly can you have any effect on them. As for the "let them have their stupid idea's"; they may be stupid, but if you ignore them, more "stupid" poeple will follow them. And how can they change, if you have an attitude such as "There are some people you will never change"???
    Sorry. I understand what you mean but to be quite honest i just couldnt be bothered with those type of people. Anyone with a mind that closed does not deserve my attention or time. I am a good person, i havent done anything to them. I dont see why i have to explain calmly and try to convince them to treat me like a human being. my dignity is a right, not a privilege i have to earn. especially not from "people" like them. thats why i ignore them - cos they arent worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

especially not from "people" like them. thats why i ignore them - cos they arent worth it.
    Better put me on your ignore list, then, matey. I ask questions every so often here, and there's two type's of answers; the drama queen one, and the calm one. The calm answer is the one that I listen to. The drama queen usually tells me to a)f*ck off, or b)take my Nazi close minded views elsewhere, when in fact I'm trying to widen my views, hence the asking of the question.

the_syco wrote:
    Better put me on your ignore list, then, matey. I ask questions every so often here, and there's two type's of answers; the drama queen one, and the calm one. The calm answer is the one that I listen to. The drama queen usually tells me to a)f*ck off, or b)take my Nazi close minded views elsewhere, when in fact I'm trying to widen my views, hence the asking of the question.

i dont mind giving calm answers to decent people
    however i wont be sending christmas e-cards to info@godhatesfags.com
    definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Actually, you probably should. Very gay ones - that would piss them off ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It would be nice to present a balanced and fair picture of gay life. I understand there are a lot of things that happen in the world that are negative against gay people - and they shouldn't be overlooked.
    Good, I quite agree. Positive articles are more than welcome. What riled some people up was that the wording of your original post seemed to denigrate the good and hard work put into those threads and advices about the less positive, but no less worthy, aspects of lgb life. That wasn't your intention but it did seem a bit like that. But we all know better now.
    I understand what you mean but to be quite honest i just couldnt be bothered with those type of people. Anyone with a mind that closed does not deserve my attention or time.
    All well and good, but what happens when these people - as we see in the US - become policy makers? What happens when they get to dictate your future? What happens when their belief systems foster a climate of intolerance that makes it difficult for people living in those areas to ever come out and live their lives freely? That's why we need to challenge and denounce them and why we can't blithely ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

So can I go live with Will & Grace or not? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

i dont mind giving calm answers to decent people
    definitely not
    Send one to: phred@godhatesfigs.com. They are there to take the p!ss out of them - fair play to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

phlematic wrote:
    Wow. Just wow. I've heard that queers can be drama queens but, seriously, come on people. I think some of you have just so gotten into the habit of self righteously attacking criticism that it's reflex now.

Give me an example of this "criticism".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

ixoy wrote:
    All well and good, but what happens when these people - as we see in the US - become policy makers? What happens when they get to dictate your future? What happens when their belief systems foster a climate of intolerance that makes it difficult for people living in those areas to ever come out and live their lives freely? That's why we need to challenge and denounce them and why we can't blithely ignore it.

I continue to be amazed at 1) the articles choose to make reference to here as if anything else was expected from the mouth of those people. 2) at the response some posters make to individuals who post anything here with any degree of carelessnes regagi wording etc. 3) The fact that the Drama content referered to by some is real and apparent (to me).

Regarding (3) over cosure you don't have to be in the LGBT community to react with drama/outrage/ demonstratign some almost personal insult. I am sure it happens in other forums, but I also Know I read some posts, and then the replies and see a style of argument that i find stereotypical and even ugly. How is it not possible in the first place to assume the good intent of a person posting here(if the intent is not good, the fault is theirs not yours) or when disputing so point of view (offered by a member of the same community) to do so without seemig to attack the individual. I might be "critised" for saying this, and no I don't have statistics to back it up; but I would have to say I have read posts here by LGBT people and they seem as bitter and vicious and unfair as some of the posts from those who obviosly hate and condemn homosexuality (or any diversity)

Regardign (2) havinG to read a lot of unppleasant stuff, not only posted here, but as if all news regarding the gay community was about struggle and attack. I saw this guy as simply wanted to contribute something I took as both positive and light hearted. I didn't even guess at him attacking other posters, but then i didn't look for it

RegardinG (1) I notice again how Ixoy seems able to appreciate a multitude, even totally opposing, of view points. I agree with the first part of his post where he recognisises both the possible perceived remark against others.

The bt quoted above I don't quite get. It is scary that people with such prejudice can become policymakers, I just don't quite get how any amount or lever or frequency of discussion here will change that . Preaching to the converted , and its not like some of those people will pop in here to check on our evaluation of how they see things being open to change their opinion. I understand having a voice to match theres, but is this really it ?
    Looking at it in that way then i can understand how a person can read through threads and be down heartened by the negativity, not of posters, but of the world as it now is, or as reported. And to opt to report something positive to me seems, .....a positive thing.

Mentioning Colin Farrell was a curious choice as it can demostrate both sides of how accepting "the world" is of a gay man (the fact he wore a wee skirt and dyed his hair and fancied Jared leto hmm...)
    The good bit is that the film was made, and the sexuality of the character was included. Movie fans will know of films where any such references were deleted or denied. Surely progress of some kind. The response to the film in the US, especially its South demostrates the terrible prejudice other posters refer to .

There may still be a need to defend ourselves from such prejudiced movements,; personally I've experienced little prejudice and most warm and celebratory acceptance of who I am as a person. I know others experience is much less positive. But does prohibit me from being positive.

Surely altering predjudice, securing rights etc is important, but equally so is celebrating who we are and any welcome progression to acceptance.

Outside of a LGB forum I am happy to read good news. If some one posts inside one am happy too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hmm_Messiah could you go into more detail as to the bitter and hostile posts, feel free to name names. While I'd agree with the topics being discussed and argue stongly that every user has a right to post anything that doesn't conflict the charter I would like to see them discussed in a certain way, and laso for particular topics to be droped once in a while, the church, and texas/south north america.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Boston wrote:
    Hmm_Messiah could you go into more detail as to the bitter and hostile posts, feel free to name names.

Feel free to name names ? ....thanks for that but I can't imagine you are speaking for every person who posts so I guess you meant feel free to name ...well you..if appropriate.

I spoke of some posts seeming bitter, hostile and unfair. I don't see a point in going into more detail (it would involve trawling through threads which seems a backward notion to me in this instance, or naming people. To be clear I was talking about how "I perceived" them, and don't assume that others would see them the same way. I find text on a screen sometimes limited in the conveyance of nuance, so basically I read something, have a response to it. If I wonder am I misreading, and its significant, i reread or reflect,... all that stuff.

I simply meant I found the tone of some posts overly hostile or defensive, and when you read the same names attached you wonder are the people responding to some one's individual contribution , or determined to see most things in a "negative way". I presume each person is allowed post what they wish (within the charter etc )and equally its ok for some one to give their reaction to some one elses reaction.

I didn't understand the last part of your post, but I probably need coffee.
    Finally I've no problem (like I can do something about it anyways..) with people posting any article, negative or not. THey are providing a service I guess to others who might not otherwise get to be aware of things that happen, and I have the choice not to read a post when I see a reference to the same old bigots.

now off in the search for Twin Peaks quality coffee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement