Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried...?

Options
  • 08-01-2005 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Anyone here ever try their hand at writing some sci-fi or fantasy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes. It didn't work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

Sarky wrote:
    Yes. It didn't work...

How much did you get written? Sci-fi or fantasy?

A few paragraphs of both. I read over them once and binned them. They were rubbish. It doesn't stop me trying every now and again, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

you hardly expect masterpieces on the first go?
    your supposed to work at them..or do you just not have the interest.. ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you're interested in fantasy, authors like George R.R. Martin and Janny Wurts have recommend reading lists on their web sites. Some books are general books about authoring, whereas others are specific research books about medieval life, battles, etc. Worth checking out. I think fantasy and sci-fi need a bit of research beforehand - one requires a degree of knowledge about items like warcraft, horses, medieval housing, etc. whereas the other requires some basic knowledge of science. In theory...

• Advertisement

I'm not interested enough to write properly, really. I can come up with plots, characters, and dialogue, but putting it all together is a knack I don't really have, beyond maybe a little short piece every now and then for an RPG, and even then most of it's supplied by the players...

I've actually began writing a book now. I've been planning it for about 2 - 3 months now, but made the start last night. Is a lot more fun than I imagined. I'm deadly serious to finish it too, its kinda been a lifelong dream of mine.
    Would anyone be interested in doing some test reading for me, or some of the stuff that I write?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Evilution wrote:
    Would anyone be interested in doing some test reading for me, or some of the stuff that I write?

I would be very interested. I've done it before for some of my friends and really enjoyed being the first to read a possible future best seller :)

I would be very interested. I've done it before for some of my friends and really enjoyed being the first to read a possible future best seller :)

Ok then, PM me your email address and I'll send you two sample chapters, one fantasy and one fiction. I have one other boards member looking them over too. Test readers are so hard to find these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

sure i wudnt mind doing a bit o test reading for u :D

• Advertisement

calis wrote:
    sure i wudnt mind doing a bit o test reading for u :D

Send me a PM dude, seeing as I haven't gotten one from tSubh Dearg above.

Advertisement