Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funky House Venues

• 08-01-2005 3:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

I haven't been out in the club scene in Dublin for a while now, is Funky House still big? What venues in Dublin play Funky House only, does anyone know??

Cheers!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I'm no expert but The Metropolitan on friday nights maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

the 1210 lads down at the legal eagle on saturdays do a great funky house night! best housey vibes in dublin if youre into that sort of thing...

[i'm not - but i'll happily go to a house night once in a blue moon... more of a deep dad-house man myself though...]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

"deep dad-house" Sounds kinda intresting? what kinda house is that? Sample please..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

the 1210 lads down at the legal eagle on saturdays do a great funky house night! best housey vibes in dublin if youre into that sort of thing...

And tonight's gig is going towards Tsunami relief with a few different teams of DJs down there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

12ten @ The Legal Eagle on Saturdays is a great night! It's what got me into Funky House in the first place.... Bodytonic @ Wax on Fridays is also a savage night... Deadly crowd and great tunes! :D

• Advertisement

errrr... im no expert on house, but stuff like dub tribe soundsystem on naked music, the sort of stuff miguel migs would play, the sort of stuff pete heller and terry farley championed before pete went all proggy and sh1te..... fluffy house with loads of bongos and little bits of jazzy melodies, slower than "funky house" --- if you ever see a copy of the pete heller and terry farley "late night sessions 3" mix on ministry of sound pick it up its lovely. wouldnt really go out of my way to go to a house or a techno night but a well crafted house set is nice barbecue music that doesnt make your neighbours call the cops, unlike some of the [drum and bass] stuff i'd play for instance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Im not really into todays dance music as most of it is rubbish but i am partial to a bit of funky house or some breakbeat and this 12 Ten nite sounds good so on one of my 3/4 clubbing nites out this year i reckon ill check this place out..... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

http://www.12ten.tk

Certainly comes with my recommendation. The music is very good and the crowd is top notch. Old Skool night next Saturday i believe which should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭chewy

errrr... im no expert on house, but stuff like dub tribe soundsystem on naked music, the sort of stuff miguel migs would play, the sort of stuff pete heller and terry farley championed before pete went all proggy and sh1te..... fluffy house with loads of bongos and little bits of jazzy melodies, slower than "funky house" ---

you so read my mind all the guys from the era went too prog :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

the sort of stuff pete heller and terry farley championed before pete went all proggy and sh1te....

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm more of a house man and Farley and Heller were always my favourite producers. Releasing many a top house tune under the guises of Fire Island, then Heller & Farley and in the latter years Roach Motel.

Unfotunatley I never got to see them live as a duo but I did see Pete Heller play in the Red Box about 2 years ago and I was well shocked. I wasn't "that" bad but it definitely wasn't what I had come accustomed too.

However, they always did have a heavy electro based side to them with the releases under the alias Roach Motel being the fiercest and Fire Island releases being more in the vein of classic US House.

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭skkatter

jonny68 wrote:
    Im not really into todays dance music as most of it is rubbish
    That's a tsunami of a generalisation there, there's lots of good electronic music being released in this day and age, you just have to seek it out.

I sometimes start off the night with some acid/weird/glitchy house whenever I'm playing in the Pod (usually one Saturday a month at the Pogo night that Bodytonic run there), here's a house mix I did just before Christmas. And here's the tracklist:

1) Donnacha Costello - Backache (D1 Recordings)
    2) Horror Inc. - Siamese Twins [Mike Shannon's Incision Mix] (Revolver)
    3) Process - Boll [extended version] (Traum Schallplatten)
    4) Duplex 100 - Extrapoliert (Initial Cuts)
    5) M.I.A. - Let Your Heart (Sub Static)
    6) Bucci / Pink Elln - Mavis 350 [Mike Shannon Remix] (Cynosure)
    7) Misc. - People Won't Blame (Sender Records)
    8) Wink - 516 Acid [Steve Bug's All Discrete Tub Mix] (Ovum Recordings)
    9) Donnacha Costello - Rubine Red [side b] (Minimise)
    10) The Rip Off Artist - Oh Baby Gun (Platinum Projects)
    11) Five Green Circle - Scream (Traum Schallplatten)
    12) Copacabannark - Garden Parade [Dandy Jack's Senti-Meta Mix] (Perlon)
    13) Booka Shade - Up (Get Physical)
    14) Modeler - Getts Down (Dubsided)
    15) Analog Fingerprints - Meta Tool [Pigna 2004 Version] (Final Frontier)
    16) Louis Digital - Insurgency Soul (Arcola)
    17) Denis Rusnak - Do You? (Cocoon)

I don't really like the type of house they play in 12ten but I've got weird taste, they usually get a good crowd down there so they must be doing something right. :) Bodytonic run a house club in Wax on Fridays that seems to be very popular also.

saw pete heller at the kitchen years ago and he blew my mind! mind you, hard to lay a set like that in as big a place as the red box... deep house just sounds better with a small venue.

right, enough of this house talk! i'm off to lash on some techstep!

Advertisement