Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rat help!!!

• 08-01-2005 5:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

I hope someone here might be able to help me out. I have a male white rat thats about 8 months old. Hes had no health problems at all except being a bit overweight, but this afternoon he has a pea sized lump on his chin. It wasnt there yesterday. Ive tried looking on google for information,but im having a hard time getting specifics. How can i tell if its a tumor or an abcess? if it is a tumor, can it be removed? any help would be appreciated.. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

White rats are quite prone to tumours.
    However, dont panic, not all tumours are fatal.

You vet will need to do some tests to determine how / if the tumour is developing.

It may also be a simple abcess or boil, if so, a course of anti-biotics will do the trick.
    You need to see your vet rather quickly tho, these things do the least damage the earlier they are dealt with, and if it is a bad type of tumour, that grows at a disturbing rate, sooner is better than later.

It may also be a simple infected cut from chewing on cage bars of such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It will be best for you to go to a vet - as Frankenfurter said it may just be an infection but rats are prone to getting tumors especially white ones.

Here is a link to an article on Tumors from Blackstaff rats A FAB FAB FAB rat care info resource!
    http://www.quite.co.uk/rats/#Tumours:

Hope this helps.

Faye-Bond

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Squeak squeak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

tovalee wrote:
    I hope someone here might be able to help me out. I have a male white rat thats about 8 months old. Hes had no health problems at all except being a bit overweight, but this afternoon he has a pea sized lump on his chin. It wasnt there yesterday. Ive tried looking on google for information,but im having a hard time getting specifics. How can i tell if its a tumor or an abcess? if it is a tumor, can it be removed? any help would be appreciated.. thanks

It sounds like an abcess, the fact that it turned up over night is a little fast for a tumour. you could try it with hot compresses and it will generally come to a head and pop, then clean it out with a sea-salt water solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

any update on your rat Tovalee?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

turned out to be an abcess after all . medicated compresses and its healing nicely. big thanks for the replies

Advertisement