Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave or Breeze?

• 08-01-2005 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

My trial of the fibre optic BB is over http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166539
    So now I have to go for some regular flavour BB
    So.........
    I emailed IBB yesterday. Apparently ripwave isn't available in my area but breeze is. This despite the fact that we can see the Three Rock transmitter from our back garden. I wanted to go with ripwave as I want to be able to move the computer around without trailing cable. I don't want to go to the trouble or expense of setting up a wireless link.
    In the D16 area BTW.
    Apart from the freedom to move is there any practial difference between the two.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

breeze is far better than ripwave. u had 6 months free broadband spend the money u saved on a wireless setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

Frodi, as a matter of interest, what sort of service did you get during the trial?

Upload Speed/Download Speed etc.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

definitely go for breeze!!! i'm on breeze atm & it's working perfectly fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

iano wrote:
    Frodi, as a matter of interest, what sort of service did you get during the trial?

Upload Speed/Download Speed etc.

Thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=182121

See above, fast was the only word for it, downlaods in the blink of an eye. God I'm going to miss it. My youngest loved using Cbbc.co.uk, it was truely interacive abd fast. Probably faster that using a CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

better getting adsl from iol/ or eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

is breeze install free for students and also does anyone know how it is wired inside your house? also is there a 1 year contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭wanwarlock

Repli wrote:
    is breeze install free for students and also does anyone know how it is wired inside your house? also is there a 1 year contract?

see this

they come over and install and aerial on top of the roof and they'll drill a hole into ur house to let the cables in.

yes, it's a 1 yr contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

simple answer to question, BREEZE, witout a doubt, had both, ripwave isnt an option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Frodi, sorry for hijacking your thread, I didn’t think my q warranted another new thread.

I too am trying to decide upon Ripwave or Breeze. Ripwave would suit my needs if it does work properly but I have been reading a few horror stories on here so I am not sure. I don’t really want to spend as much as €48 for Breeze if Ripwave will work for me, as I really am only looking for a faster-than-dial-up surfing option.

I am about 500 yards from the Windgates mast in Bray with clear line of sight to the mast from the upstairs of my house does this give me a better chance of success on Ripwave or is there more to it than proximity to the mast?

The contention rate at 40:1 bothers me a bit as I know there are a lot of IBB users in Bray so I would imagine my connection would be pretty choked. Is there any Ripwave/Breeze users around the Newcourt Road/Vevay/Dell area that can tell me how they are getting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

It looks like IBB have solved my dilema, Ripwave isn't available in Bray, just Breeze....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 trav

Hi,

I have been using Ripwave for a few months now, and think I can answer some of your questions. First of all, if you do not have clear line-of-sight forget about it. With the ripwave installed in the attic space of a 2-storey, 500m from the RTE transmitter I get the revered constant green light (best link); while moving the modem 10 metres down the attic to where some branches would obscure the path results in a red or flashing-red (poor or no connection). The NLOS (non-line-of-sight) stuff they talk about is crap.

With a green light I get download speeds of about 60KB/s, which is around the maximum for a 512kbps connection. I am using some VOIP services over the link, however, and have noticed a couple of problems. First the upload speed of 128kbps is a limitation to some of the more bandwidth-hungry voice codecs. On some calls the person on the remote end can hear me perfectly but the quality of their voice on my end is very poor. Also, more recently, I have noticed that the latency of connections (ping-times) has become very high and erratic even though the download speed is still good. Seems to indicate some routing/network traffic issues, but makes VOIP unusable. It is possible that this is a glitch due to a growing network. I had a similar problem with DNS access before which, in fairness, their support people sorted out promptly. Anyway, if you're not planning on using VOIP you can disregard this whole paragraph (probably should have told you at the start).

Personally, I will probably move to Breeze as 3 computers and VOIP is a bit demanding of this capacity, but can recommend Ripwave if download is all you need. Can anyone tell me if the ping times to external networks from Breeze are any better? With Ripwave I am now getting pings between 150 and 3000ms to e.g. www.google.ie.

Gluck

pings to boards.ie on 1 meg lite breeze is usually 10-20 if i can remeber correctly, u will never see pings of 150-300 on breeze on any site, unless that site is crap or loads of hops to it

Wow, didn't realise the response was that good. Best ping from Ripwave runs at about 140ms, and that is to www.irishbroadband.ie. Breeze it is so, thanks for the info.

trav wrote:
    Wow, didn't realise the response was that good. Best ping from Ripwave runs at about 140ms, and that is to www.irishbroadband.ie. Breeze it is so, thanks for the info.
    youll never see 140ms again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Interesting aside, I was on to €ircon and esats websites and tested my home line for BB. Both results came up negative, this despite the fact that there is BB on the line at present. :eek: Just how good are these online tests?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

All the ADSL tests are run from Eircom's database of periodic line-checks.

If you get a red-light from one of the companies you get a red light from them all (or their information is out of date).

The tests are carried out on a monthly basis, fed to the database and whether that's green or not determines the answer you'll get from sales/tech support for the next month.
    As they're very sensitive tests, the fact that you have a bb connection and probably at least one phone on it and probably a couple of other highly variable factors, means that it's hit and miss whether you'll pass the tests in any given month.

I'm also looking at transferring to Breeze, and I will need to be using VoIP (want to ditch the land line altogether), anyone have experience of VoIP on Breeze?

gline wrote:
    pings to boards.ie on 1 meg lite breeze is usually 10-20 if i can remeber correctly, u will never see pings of 150-300 on breeze on any site, unless that site is crap or loads of hops to it

BTW, that was 150 to 3000 ms, i.e. 3 seconds. Obviously a network problem, but easy to figure out why voice wasn't happening for me.

Advertisement