Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing 98/XP Dual Boot on different drives

• 08-01-2005 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, got a bit of a problem here at the moment & am looking for abit of help..
    I have a machine here that has two HD's in it, the second one was just recently installed.
    The original HD (C:) has 98 on it which I booted into to install XP.
    so now I have 98 on C: and XP on D: and I get a boot menu on startup.
    I wanted to remove 98 but if I remove the C: (take it from the machine) I get the "NTLDR cannot be found" error message so Im presuming that when I installed XP it stuck some files onto the C:
    Any ideas on how I can remove 98 and format that disk so that I just end up with XP?
    How can I turn D: into the primary partition, do I even need to?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

As far as I know you will have to maintain the master boot record on the C: drive which is your boot partition. This is necessary to boot into Windows on the D: drive (your system partition). What you can do is just leave things as they are an delete the Windwos 98 files and folders from the C: drive without formattin git and use C: as your storage drive.
    You can't change the drive letter of your D: drive to C:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey, I actually solved it just after I asked the question...
    what you need to do ,iirc, is boot up the recovery console and choose the drive you want to "Recover" in my case this was D.
    You then get asked if you want to set it as te system partition, Pick Yes.
    I had already copied over ntlr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini from c: so Im not sure if the Recover process does this for you.
    Anywho, I then edited boot.ini to remove the 98 option and make sure the partitions were addressed correctly (as I had removed the "original" system partition the address of D: had changed)
    It all works fine now, boots straight into xp without the need for the C: drive.
    slight drawback is that I now only have D: and no C:, probably wont change it as it might screw up registry settings for installed programs, possibly windows too.
    Cheers!

Advertisement