Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come all the Avatars suck?

Options
  • 08-01-2005 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Why are most of them from computer games that are made for anoraks and in general, games/films etc. that appeal to trainspotters (LOTR, Dune...). Not all of us jerk off while playing Tomb Raider!

I had to settle for a ubiquitous simpsons one
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

They're avatars...

Get a sig or a personality if you feel they're not expressive enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

wayfarer wrote:
    Not all of us jerk off while playing Tomb Raider!
    Now thats just bad for gameplay... That said, mmmm DualShock...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Pay subscription and you can customise your avatar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

CuLT wrote:
    They're avatars...
    What, so theyre meant to suck?

There seem to be over 2600 and theyre all more or less on the same theme. Is there any chance of a bit of variety?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

1. I have a very funky cow from southpark!

2. i don't **** to it.

3. Unless your american don't say jerk off.

4. Your an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Don't use a friggin' avatar if you've a problem with them and don't want to pay subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

wayfarer wrote:
    Why are most of them from computer games that are made for anoraks and in general, games/films etc. that appeal to trainspotters (LOTR, Dune...).

That is who boards.ie was orginally made for the nerds, geeks and gamers.

Thaed wrote:
    That is who boards.ie was orginally made for the nerds, geeks and gamers.

I thought so but its moved on from that now Id have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

So what do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

/me hands wayfarer a blue peter badge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

So what do you want?
    what everyone wants... world peace and custom avatars.... which is more likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

It's already possible to have custom avatars.

€5 a month is hardly going to break the bank. It's not like most of you have lives and would be spending it outside now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Please go away and don't be annoying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

wayfarer wrote:
    Why are most of them from computer games that are made for anoraks and in general, games/films etc. that appeal to trainspotters (LOTR, Dune...). Not all of us jerk off while playing Tomb Raider!

I had to settle for a ubiquitous simpsons one

Wow, you're obnoxious dull and whingy, what a splendid and heady mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What are ye bitching at him for??? The Avatars are **** and he is entitled to say so...

Knowing this place, if the first reply agreed with his point, the rest of the muppets who posted would have too..

Fall into line children!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Daddy clouds going to hairy ape you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

What are ye bitching at him for??? The Avatars are **** and he is entitled to say so...

Knowing this place, if the first reply agreed with his point, the rest of the muppets who posted would have too..

Fall into line children!!

Oh screw you. The guy is wandering on a free board run gratis by volunteers and he's whinging that they don't have the exact avatar to suite his whimisical nature, avatars that the admins stuck up because they like them.

And hey theres a solution he could cough up a few quid and be able to create his own avatar to suit the unqiue snowflake like nature of his soul. But no he wants to continue bellyaching until cloud commisions a graphic designer to capture his true likeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,192 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I agree they are not very good avatars hence the reason I did not pick one. I have not looked at the sub yet.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Originally posted by mycroft

But no he wants to continue bellyaching until cloud commisions a graphic designer to capture his true likeness.

Do you really think Cloud will do that for us? I'm really not sure that my chin is just right on my avatar :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

wayfarer wrote:
    I thought so but its moved on from that now Id have thought.
    Nope still a wonderful safe haven for nerds from all walks of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

wayfarer,
    Click here

Take the hint

The ignorant and flippant personal attacks aside...
    mycroft wrote:
    The guy is wandering on a free board run gratis by volunteers and he's whinging that they don't have the exact avatar to suite his whimisical nature, avatars that the admins stuck up because they like them.

You look for feedback and then attack me just because I have an idea on how to improve the site. I know its a minor detail but you can see from above posts that people agree with me.

I never asked for my exact avatar or anything like that, If you can only think of a reply by twisting my words then why bother.
    wayfarer wrote:
    Not all of us jerk off while playing Tomb Raider!
    was meant as a joke but I can see I touched a nerve :D:D

Whats your point about volunteerism btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Ali Cat

I think the problem is that you weren't giving a suggestion on how to improve the site, you were just whinning, and as has been pointed out it is already possible to get just what you want by subscribing, little more needs to be said....especially by you, wayfarer. :p

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

wayfarer wrote:
    Whats your point about volunteerism btw

boards.ie doesn't make profit.
    People aren't charged for the privilege to post, there are some discreet google ads in the top right hand corner that people rarely look at anyway, and all the cash from that goes towards maintaining the servers.

Thus, the admins aren't paid and the mods aren't paid; volunteers.

I appreciate that and fair play to all involved, doin a bang up job, I just didnt understand what mycroft was trying to say

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Im not that pushed about custom avatars.

I just think that there should be more avatars which are devoid of allusions, something simple and unsuggestive (smilie faces etc.) because at the moment there are very few

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

wayfarer wrote:
    You look for feedback and then attack me just because I have an idea on how to improve the site. I know its a minor detail but you can see from above posts that people agree with me.

Well, perhaps it's just me, but I can't actually tell from your posts what precisely you would see as an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

wayfarer wrote:
    Im not that pushed about custom avatars.

I just think that there should be more avatars which are devoid of allusions, something simple and unsuggestive (smilie faces etc.) because at the moment there are very few

There have been times in the past were people created avatar packs and have gotten them included. Maybe just maybe you could show us all what you had in mind and maybe an admin might include them.

That's a lot of maybe's tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Now that's a load of rubbish - there's tens if not hundreds of generic avatars - all the ones called Gort... for example. Do some proper research first, it's easy to give out when you don't have all the facts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement