Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come all the Avatars suck?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

ecksor wrote:
    Well, perhaps it's just me, but I can't actually tell from your posts what precisely you would see as an improvement.

If you dont think a better choice of avatars is an improvement then it does matter. But I do (and I did say it was a minor detail)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

mysql> select count(*) from avatar where locate("Gort", title) > 0;
    +----------+
    | count(*) |
    +----------+
    |      174 |
    +----------+
    1 row in set (0.01 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from avatar where 1;
    +----------+
    | count(*) |
    +----------+
    |     2801 |
    +----------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

But point taken, you can never have enough avatars for some people (/me points at wayfarer!). However, I do resolve to add some more generic ones in the short term (I was going to do some more for boards.us anyway).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

wayfarer wrote:
    If you dont think a better choice of avatars is an improvement then it does matter. But I do (and I did say it was a minor detail)

Here's a tip, when you're being dense and I'm being polite, don't act as if it's the other way around.

Let me break this down for you into simple terms.

You complain that all the avatars suck. That's a complaint, not a suggestion of how to improve things. I'm very sorry that you couldn't find an avatar to suit you, but how exactly do you suggest that we remedy the situation? Saying "I just think that there should be more avatars which are devoid of allusions, something simple and unsuggestive (smilie faces etc.) because at the moment there are very few" is too vague to actually give anybody any idea as to what exactly would satisfy you (and is probably inaccurate anyway I suspect, see Cloud's posts).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you want, I could go into a 3-page explanation of why there's no such thing as a "generic" avatar, and why it would be possible to classify any avatar, no matter what the image.

People are giving you weird replies, because it's like going into the McDonalds drive-thru, saying "Y'know, your menu could be different", and then driving off.

Cloud - I thought the gort ones were from another game, they are quite similar (I went back and double-checked. The first to I saw were a knight and what I think was a gauntlet. It does contain the same elements of fantasy as the rest)

• Advertisement

Off the top of my head -
    Cute pics of animals :D
    Crests of football teams
    geometric shapes of all shapes and colours
    county colours or crests
    everyday symbol, logos and the likes (star signs...)
    or pics with allusions to stuff other than games/films/cartoons eg guitars, records mics
    sports equipments.

Things that people might feel would represent them better

Pics of filmstars, rockstars tv stars, big brother stars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

wayfarer wrote:
    geometric shapes of all shapes and colours

Things that people might feel would represent them better

You'd feel a purple quadrangle would represent you and say something about your personality?

Oh for a world class psychologist round about now.......
    big brother stars...

So essentially a picture of Jade "Am I minging" Goodie is something you feel would be a valuable addition and add something to the site?

Okay, right my ignore list just gets a little bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

wayfarer wrote:
    Pics of filmstars, rockstars tv stars, big brother stars...
    What drugs is this guy possibly on, wants avatars of Big Brother prats. He is was the one who said he was not a person whom of which jerks off to Tomb Raider, but obviously he must jerk off to visions of Brian "you know the Irish fella who won it".

You two are fcuking incredible

This has nothing to do with my tastes, but if enough people want these as their avatars, why shouldnt they be allowed. Thats my point. If its beyond your comprehension, Im sorry but I cant make it any simpler than that.

as I said before
    wayfarer wrote:
    If you can only think of a reply by twisting my words then why bother.
    Did I ever say I wanted someone from big brother as my avatar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This link pretty much sums up what you are dealing with her wayfarer:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=212465

I am a regular user of boards and have meant to subscribe on a number of occassions but for some of these people, its actually life... They depend on it, its like a little social circle. It wouldnt surprise me if they all PM'd each other before replying on this thread in order to get a general concensus on how to approach the "newbie" who suggests the dreaded "change"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Thanks for the link.
    I am a regular user of boards and have meant to subscribe on a number of occassions but for some of these people, its actually life...

And you're dead when you use boards?
    They depend on it, its like a little social circle.

boards is a social circle. Actually, it isn't. It's a lot of social circles. What's your point?
    It wouldnt surprise me if they all PM'd each other before replying on this thread in order to get a general concensus on how to approach the "newbie" who suggests the dreaded "change"

Firstly, that doesn't happen and you're making yourself look uninformed and silly by suggesting it. Secondly, you're confusing parochialism (which boards can suffer from from time to time) with attitudes towards online interaction. Thirdly, you seem to be missing the little detail that wayfarer waded into here and made a non-suggestion with all the tact of a bull in a china shop and the smell of troll reeking off of him. Nevertheless, I've tried to get clear suggestions from him and Cloud has even said that he will work on addressing his concerns. Obviously others are quicker to point out that his suggestions have more than a tiny amount of unintentional humour about them and even more irony attached to them considering the big brush he was painting a lot of this site's longtime users with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I am a regular user of boards and have meant to subscribe on a number of occassions but for some of these people, its actually life... They depend on it, its like a little social circle. It wouldnt surprise me if they all PM'd each other before replying on this thread in order to get a general concensus on how to approach the "newbie" who suggests the dreaded "change"

There, there. Did someone crap in your sandbox?

ecksor wrote:
    Obviously others are quicker to point out that his suggestions have more than a tiny amount of unintentional humour about them and even more irony attached to them considering the big brush he was painting a lot of this site's longtime users with.

Just because I dont have smilies with big grins and roll eyes after what Im saying doesnt mean I wasnt intentionally being ironic, but Ill know better than to do that in future :D

As you said
    ecksor wrote:
    boards is a social circle. Actually, it isn't. It's a lot of social circles.
    That sums it all up. Its not just a gaming community any more, If thats what it was so now there should be avatars to show that. My suggestions were just random ideas of what could be used, but that seemed to be just too much for some people to follow :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

koneko wrote:
    wayfarer,
    Click here

Take the hint

You're the worst nerd ever.

.logic.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Thumb. Ass. Remove.

indenial.jpg

wayfarer wrote:
    You two are fcuking incredible

This has nothing to do with my tastes, but if enough people want these as their avatars, why shouldnt they be allowed. Thats my point. If its beyond your comprehension, Im sorry but I cant make it any simpler than that.

as I said before

Did I ever say I wanted someone from big brother as my avatar

Okay so let me get this straight you are to mind the first person who's suggested that a Brian Dowdell av should exist though now you're claiming "if enough people want a BB av it should happen" now seeing you're the first person to suggest such a cululthicial monstrositity it's not like theres a dirth of people doing a "I am Kirk Doughlas" to support your viewpoint and therefore that mods n admins should spend their free time providing you with killkenny county colours or a bon jovi av.

So to summerise frankly the mods have given you free options to increase your av options, so you have the potential to pay a piddling fiver to support a service you think is great, or you could accept the several thousand options available for free and at ease and shut the hell up.

So let me get this straight youve been on boards about the same time as me and your post count is four times mine and you're lecturing me on my lack of life and sheep like behaviour.

God you're such an iconcalist, i feel this profound urge to cast my nets aside and follow you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

wayfarer wrote:
    Why are most of them from computer games that are made for anoraks and in general, games/films etc. that appeal to trainspotters (LOTR, Dune...). Not all of us jerk off while playing Tomb Raider!

I had to settle for a ubiquitous simpsons one

Ok there was a post further down this thread that said that boards was all that people lived for well I am afraid your wrong but I will deal with that in a minute

Why are the avatars all got to do with computer games and cult movies etc.

If you have a suggestion as to what avatars should be included in the list then If you put it in a more polite manner then I am sure that the administrators would give your suggestion some consideration.

The admins are the ones who pump money into this site and are the ones who will face the legal ramafications if someone posts something that might be libelous or illegal in some way, they are the ones who are putting them selves at risk for your benefit. They run this site as running this site is like a hobby for them, I doubt that they make a lot if any money off of boards.ie so consider yourself lucky that there are a group of irish people providing the site for irish users, when you think of how low the quality of the american ****e that is on the internet, an irish website like this one is a breath of fresh air and it has some relevence to the irish internet community.

Now as for boards being all that people lived for, well I will say this

I look forward to visiting this site when I go online. I like to read the threads and yes I have had cordial interactions with other people. I have even met people from boards. because I have spoken to them via the message boards already I got to know a little about them before I actually met them for the first time. I have to say that the ones that I did meet in November in Dublin last year, you couldnt have met the nicest group of people. I remember being in a city 120 miles from where I lived in a pub full of people that I had never met before and feeling like I knew them for years. That is what I love about this website.

Now is it the be all and end all of my life. no I have a life in the real world but this is where I like to pass an hour or two. and nowin answer to Jesus thats gre's post, I have never received PMs from people asking my opinion on peoples posts before they posted them.

Jesus thats gre, if you are feeling left out it is because you havent gotten involved in the spirit of boards.ie they might disagree with your viewpoints on posts but for **** sake they are not going to eat your children, they are nice and well rounded people in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Cloud wrote:
    But point taken, you can never have enough avatars for some people (/me points at wayfarer!). However, I do resolve to add some more generic ones in the short term (I was going to do some more for boards.us anyway).
    It would be cool if the .jp avatars were on here as well. I really like those ones.

This is fun...

CuLT wrote:
    Thumb. Ass. Remove.

indenial.jpg
    Did one of the "lads" PM you that and tell you it would be so so so funny..

Did one of the "lads" PM you that and tell you it would be so so so funny..
    No; if you removed your thumb from your rear for any length of time you'd discover I moderate the board where these cards are made.

If you're going to be a geek at least be a geek with a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Create the avatars yourself. A nice big set of say 50 on a set theme, and make sure the quality is good.

Submit them for approval and maybe, just maybe, they'll be good enough to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I propose that upon signup of a new member one should be given a question of "what type of avatar, roughly, would you like?" Upon sending the confirmation of registration to activate account the query should be sent to a new forum that will have to be created called the "Avatar Creation" Forum. In this avatar creation forum will exist solely 2-3 members who will moderate this forum because it will need to be pretty heavily moderated tbqh. Now these members will commission multiple forum members from the Photoshoppage forum like Shrimp or Omnicorp or somebody, in fact they would probably have to moderate the forum but you get my jist.

Anyway, to cut a long story kinda short. Upon activation of account the "AC" forum will have 24 hours to create a new avatar for a new forum member. If the new avatar does not fit the ambiguous guidelines of the needy newbie then a sitewide request to all boards.ie members will need to happen.

Now, in case of existing members such as Wayfarther needing a new icon to more accurately suit her ever changing and maturing persona this forum may also be used for such an avatarical purpose, depending on how good the modding is, granted.

I think this is the only solution and I advise that an email and/or PM should be created for every member on boards with min 1 post within 2 years of existance to relay the information of the current situation of what is to be set in stone for our future plans and goals for this new age that we live in on this bulletin board/microcosm/planet/ether/circles.

Gordon for president.

CuLT wrote:
    No; if you removed your thumb from your rear for any length of time you'd discover I moderate the board where these cards are made.

If you're going to be a geek at least be a geek with a clue.
    ohhh... a moderator are we...

I don't think I can take this new found realisation that I am now a geek without a clue.. Maybe now I will finally realise my dependency on all my online friends to massage my ego.... hmmmm

So anyway, who reckons you all PM each other and think of ways to slag me off? Then post them all together so I get extra offended.. While you are it, get a thesaurus and over use it so I get intimidated by all the big words and just leave you "guys" alone.. Then you can go back to your happy cyber worlds?

When did I get so angry?

ohhh... a moderator are we...

I don't think I can take this new found realisation that I am now a geek without a clue.. Maybe now I will finally realise my dependency on all my online friends to massage my ego.... hmmmm

So anyway, who reckons you all PM each other and think of ways to slag me off? Then post them all together so I get extra offended.. While you are it, get a thesaurus and over use it so I get intimidated by all the big words and just leave you "guys" alone.. Then you can go back to your happy cyber worlds?

When did I get so angry?
    I'm not sure how much longer I can withstand your incredible wit.

• Advertisement

Imagine how hard it must be to handle conflict in the real world?

I blame George W.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement