Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1:18 Die Cast Model Cars

• 08-01-2005 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Not too sure if this is right place but im looking to buy 1:18 Die cast Cars, these are not RC cars, just the plain model cars for show, Any one know of any sites that sell these? Id be looking for more unusual older cars, Id prefer buying from inside the EU aswell?

Any help would be great!

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I asked about something similar but got no replies either, guess people dont concider scale cars to fall into the "models" catagory?
    There's a little shop on or near bolton street that sells models, i got there from the cinema on parnel square the other day walked left away from it and then went right. Im not from dublin so thats about as good as my directions get, can find what i want but **** at remembering street names.
    I think it was called motorama or something.
    Hope its of any help to you.
    If you see a koenigsegg cc 8s or pagani zonda model let me know, im on the lookout for one.

Jozi

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Static Cars ...
    try
    Marks Models Dublin city centre ,
    Chequered Flag Terenure
    There is a place in Stillorgan Shopping Centre but I can't remember the name, (it is opposite Nimble Fingers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hi,

You could do a search on Ebay, there seems to be a good few there..

Kev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

This is the perfect place to ask about this, one of the main reasons this board was created was for this and similar topics to be discussed. The problem with getting no replies is a simple one; this board's still relatively new. As such there arent many "regulars" here yet so some questions can't be answered.....

Coolwings and I seem to be the most active here (though I don't post much on these sort of threads as I ament from Dublin....), so if you know anyone else in your club etc who has an internet connection then direct them here! :)

Fobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Rabbitinlights,

Motorama on Bolton street is definately one place. They deal exclusively in Die Cast cars. I know Marks Models in Hawkins Street has a fairly big selection a full aisle to die cast cars. As for websites I am really not sure. Try finding some Die cast forums they might be able to put you in touch with some online hobby shops.

I know what you mean about static models in Ireland in particular there isnt a great interest for some reason. But places like this opens peoples eyes a little to what they are. I think I stunned one or two people when I posted the pictures of cars I have built from kits.

Ciaran

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rallysnapper

take a look at this discussion group DiecastXchange you'll find lots of links and hints on where to buy models. What are you after mainly, road cars or rallycars??

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

Hi, I'm new to this site and was just looking back at old threads and came accross this post! just for the record ther is a new(ish) shop in Dun Laoghaire, I D Models, who have a great range of 1/18th Die Cast models.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

sorry to be off topic - but does that shop ID models sell 1.50 model trucks could you tell me :confused:

thanks ,
    john ;)

Yep!

They sell a large range of Corgi Collectables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I called marks models re a few models i was looking for gave him model nos etc. was on a saturday so he couldnt call up the suppliers and was to call me back... never heard from him again, i know i should have chased it up.

i just ordered 2 off this site, site is done well but selection isnt the biggest.
    http://www.grandprixlegends.com

also saw a few here im thinking of getting harder to navigate but better selection if you know what you want inc make/model numbers etc. Also does 1:50 trucks and 1:76 buses ... humm i like the look of the dublin bus too :p
    http://www.modelenium.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

jozi wrote:
    I asked about something similar but got no replies either, guess people dont concider scale cars to fall into the "models" catagory?
    There's a little shop on or near bolton street that sells models, i got there from the cinema on parnel square the other day walked left away from it and then went right. Im not from dublin so thats about as good as my directions get, can find what i want but **** at remembering street names.
    I think it was called motorama or something.
    Hope its of any help to you.
    If you see a koenigsegg cc 8s or pagani zonda model let me know, im on the lookout for one.

Jozi
    http://www.grandprixlegends.com/DieCastSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=SL150342(GPL_BaseCatalog)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

Marks models : dont waste your time ''ordering'' from them , i ordered an italeri truck off them , they wrote it on a scrap of paper , chased it up numerous times , ohh we have'nt got that on record .
    Stupid carry on altogether

John

Hi, I'm new to this site and was just looking back at old threads and came accross this post! just for the record ther is a new(ish) shop in Dun Laoghaire, I D Models, who have a great range of 1/18th Die Cast models.

Out of curiosity, do you work for this crowd? It's not a problem if you do as another regular poster works for a model shop, as I say I'm just curious...

Fobia wrote:
    Out of curiosity, do you work for this crowd? It's not a problem if you do as another regular poster works for a model shop, as I say I'm just curious...

Yep!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

kool but i think there is a policie about advertising...

Flunked wrote:
    kool but i think there is a policie about advertising...

There is, but saying a shop exists isn't advertising, in fact, it's exactly what I've asked for..

BillyBlanks: Does this shop have a website? If not could you post the address and I'll add it to the General Guide on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

ah my bad?!? also fobia you seem to be one of the nicer less strict mods.

Fobia wrote:
    There is, but saying a shop exists isn't advertising, in fact, it's exactly what I've asked for..

BillyBlanks: Does this shop have a website? If not could you post the address and I'll add it to the General Guide on the forum.

Hey Fobia,

We dont have a site at the moment, we are in the process of getting one built. We have all delt with retail websites that dont work properly or are constantly out of date......they are very frustrating, so we want to get our site working right before we launch it.

The shop name is ID Models
    79 Patrick Street
    Dun laoghaire
    Co Dublin.
    i_dmodels @ yahoo.com

Thanks Fobia.

Do you collect yourself?

BillyBanks,

Nice to hear of a new model store about. As a matter of interest do u only deal in DieCast or do u also deal in kits?

Marks seem to be the only place in Ireland that deal with kits, apart from when I am up in Belfast. The other thing that irks me about model making in Ireland, it is impossible to get Tamiya branded paints, again no prob in Belfast but apparently it is too expensive to import them into Ireland due to some import tax. Guess I'll just have to stick with getting my paints in Belfast and my kits and odd paints imported from Japan.

Ciaran

Hey Ciaran,

Yep we do Kits. at the moment in plastic I'm only doing Revell and Alanger(russian). in wood we do Amati, billing and mamoli. we only do revell paints. Tamiya are a difficult company to deal with so I would say that is why nobody in Ireland is stocking their paint? coming into the winter we plan to increase our rang of kits.

• Advertisement

.... Tamiya ...nobody in Ireland is stocking their paint?
    Yes, there is someone in Ireland that stocks Tamiya paint.
    www.greenhobbymodel.com in Dublin have the Tamiya spray paints for cars & trucks in stock, they also have the new Aero-Naut paints. :)

BillyBlanks,

Thats good news on the kit front. Pity you arent dealing with Tamiya at the moment, hopefully that will change soon and if it does I will definately make the effort to drop in to see your range. To be honest I am not too interested in Revell kits as sometimes the fitment can be quite poor and there is a lot of unnessary prep work to be done to the kits. But like I said certainly if you start supplying Tamiya car kits I will be in to see you.

Coolwings,

Well blow me down with a feather! Had a look at the website but unfortunately they dont seem to say anything about paints. Are the Tamiya paints that they stock the TS range? You say for cars and trucks and I wonder are they the paints for Lexan bodies for RC cars if so unfortunately that is of no use to me. The paints I am looking for are the synthetic laquer (TS) range and also the small acrylics for airbrushing. Not sure if you remember the pics of the models I put up here but they are all 1/24 static models.

Cheers anyway lads its good to see the model industry in Ireland (even static modelling) isnt completely dead.

Ciaran

Just like to make it a little clearer incase you're getting confused (even I was for a while), Coolwings works for one hobby shop, billyblanks works for another. Though normally this sort of thing would be looked down upon, the former has given so much advice without pimping his shop that I don't have any problem with him mentioning his when asked do a shop supply this and that, hopefully the latter will be an asset rather than an advertisor also :) .

Fobia,

No real confusion here I knda got the impression before that Coolwings worked at a hobby shop.

As for the whole "pimping" of business I think is certainly justified in certain areas and Irish modelling is certainly one area that I believe its justified in considering the lack of knowledge base on the net for Irish modellers.

Keep up the good work guys, maybe someday we will have as strong a modelling base (and also a broader spectrum of modelling) in Ireland as there is in some other countries.

Ciaran

... we .... do revell paints. Tamiya are a difficult company to deal with so I would say that is why nobody in Ireland is stocking their paint? ....
    Ciaran_Dub wrote:
    ... certainly justified in certain areas and Irish modelling is certainly one area that I believe its justified in considering the lack of knowledge base on the net for Irish modellers.
    Keep up the good work guys, maybe someday we will have as strong a modelling base (and also a broader spectrum of modelling) in Ireland as there is in some other countries. Ciaran
    Hi lads
    This discussion raises a few points that don't usually get talked about.
    Billyblanks mentions difficulty in getting stuff into Ireland. It is really difficult sometimes.
    You might not be aware but that is a big problem, but a well hidden one.
    What happens is a big UK wholesaler, approaches a far east manufacturer of model stuff. They negotiate an exclusive territory which covers the whole British isles, (including Ireland) with the factory.
    Now this is illegal under Euro law AFAIK.
    But it happens all the time.
    That creates the situation where if a modeller asks for a particular model item in Ireland, it must be shipped from far east through the euro zone, over the sea to UK, into the sterling currency zone (VAT & duty added here), then over the Irish sea, back into euros and by now you've got it, it costs 20% too much.
    So the small irish model shop who can't buy direct in huge quantity has to go to UK, he's hardly likely to be cheap. Is He?
    But this small (usually country based) shop is doing the best he can, in the circumstances. You will have seen me stand up for these guys here in the past. Their price actually is the price that it costs to get that brand here and show it off to buyers in their town.
    They sponsor the local club, teach the newbies, get the strange little bit we need, and help modellers in all the ways that makes it work. That is worth paying extra for. They have model fuel available in your area.
    Support them or lose them, you know, many have gone already.

OTOH the big Dublin based outfit, (of which I work for one) is big enough to play the UK distributors at their own game, by getting it without shipping all over the planet on the way. They can compete and usually offer internet pricing. (with freight included in the price of course) But it sometimes has to be done with a different make, due to the problems lije I mentioned above. So you can get replies like "the make we do is this one...", instead of the brand you asked for.

Model paint is one such example. Billyblanks does Revell, Green Hobby used to do Vallejo but is changing to Tamiya right now, I think Marks does Humbrol (correct me if I'm wrong here), and Model Centre, Capel Street does Acrylico Vallejo. Dunno about Noel Barrett, but I'm sure he has paint too, cos he also does scale models. On occasions, when I've been stuck, I have nipped into an art shop, and mixed my paint from the artists acrylics, like Windsor & Newton, and Daler Rowney.
    After a bit of practise, or reading an art book, you will be able to mix up any colour you need from no more than 6 colours. There is a knack to learn, then it's easy, so I have a relaxed attitude to paint now.

So the selection is here, in Ireland, but CiaranDub is right, it's hard to find out where exactly to go. If you look in a magazine all you see is more UK ads, not the info u want.

Generally anyone working in the Irish hobby biz (who is not paranoid) will have no problem at all in telling you where in Ireland you can get this or that. All you have to do is ask , and boards.ie works quite well for that. IMHO

Ciaran_Dub wrote:
    ...Coolwings, Well blow me down with a feather! Had a look at the website but unfortunately they dont seem to say anything about paints. ...Cheers anyway lads its good to see the model industry in Ireland (even static modelling) isnt completely dead. Ciaran
    Hi Ciaran
    I remember your car pics very well. Good scale work.
    As it happens, I have the job (among other jobs) of upgrading the website.
    It would be a reasonable guess that about 2/3 or 3/4 of the green hobby stuff is currently on their website now. I'm supposed to fix that & get it all in. :eek:
    I was up till 2AM last night doing new planes pages for it! So now u know how I'm online & able to chip in to discussion threads at all hours :p
    U also know who'se responsible the nasty or dead links :mad: in the website. It's me. ;) A benefit is that I'm able to slip in a vid clip whenever, using the spare space.
    Just so u know...the paints here so far are all Tamiya car spray type . The AeroNaut is also car spray type, but different colours for use with (scalecars , and scaleboats) it's also acrylic, but those cans are bigger. New range and not many colours out as yet. The smaller numbered Tamiya colours aren't in Ireland so far, maybe 1 month or two for those.
    Coolwings
    :cool: :cool: :cool:

Hi CoolWings,

Thank you so much for that first post it really does explain a lot and makes the situation a lot clearer. I completely sympathise with the likes of yourself and anyone else that is trying to run a hobby business in Ireland it really is a ridiculous situation. What is more annoying about the whole thing is the fact that you get such a "community" spirit about any model hobby that people like yourself are more then willing to help the "newbies" in the hobby, whether that be in your shop, at a club meet or on the internet but yet when it comes to business it really seems like its a cut throat industry. I under stand people are trying to make a living (and by the sounds of it the UK businesses are making a very good one) but it seems the community spirit seems to die once money is involved.

On your second post, firstly thank you for the compliment, I must admit I didnt think there was much interest in the static scale models here so thats why I dropped out a little and didnt finish my post up on the Ford Focus build-up (Which is finally finished!). As for the website its just good to see that more Irish companies are using the web to promote their businesses, dont worry too much about not having it completely upto date I am sure its a mighty task to undertake. But that is excellent news on the paints front, I am not living in Dublin anymore but I will still make the effort to drop in and see what the selection of paints is like when you are able to get the small jars of acrylic in.

Cheers,

Ciaran

PS Marks do stock humbrol.

Advertisement